The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Wish I'd learned to love hard work sooner

RedKiteKid

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
May 29, 2017
UK
I got a 2.1 at university. Over the entire course I got a 64% average for my exams and coursework. 60-70% got you a 2.1 and I always looked on that 4% as the effort I needn't have bothered putting in.

Then I was an employee for 8 years, from graduation through to the end of 2015. I hated it but the money felt decent and the work was easy. I could dial it in, still impress the boss, and was saving a good chunk each month and compounding my interest. That was going to be enough to make me rich, and probably soon enough to retire even earlier than my dad did at 57. I always wanted to start my own business but there was no reason to quit.

I read four hour work week and was dazzled by the passive income lifestyle, outsourcing everything, and making my life even easier. But obviously I didn't want to actually do the work to make that a reality and it stayed a fuzzy dream in the back of my mind as I justified a four day working week and a three day weekend. The extra day was supposed to give me the time to start a business but I ran, or played poker, or watched the telly.

And at the end of every day I'd look back and know I'd wasted hours. Wasted days in every month. Know I could have committed to something and made it happen but never did. Death by a thousand paper cuts.

Eventually I plucked up the courage to quit my job and start contracting. I've not been out of contract since, I've learnt so much from being exposed to new environments, and I'm busting a gut working long hours because I actually enjoy my job again. It's hard work, but I'm piling more hard work on top because getting stuff done has just reinvigorated me even more. I'm earning three times what I was before but even before reading TMF I knew I still wanted to start a real business, something scalable, contracting after all is still money for time. It's still a job.

I havent grown my outgoings even though my income has increased and my plan was to reinvest the profits from contracting into property. Renovation projects ultimately transitioning to straight rentals, so more work layered on top of more work but I'm in the zone and loving the pressure. It wouldn't take more than a couple of years to at least cover my monthly outgoings with rental income and then I could focus on the real business, the one with explosive growth potential, the one with The Event at the end. But why wait two years why not start now. Is it too much to juggle the contracting, the property, the fast lane business that I still haven't defined,...

And so that is my history, what brings me here, and what I have swirling around in my head as I dig for gold in the forums. Thank you for welcoming me aboard.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007