The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Wimmin

Jason_MI

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 25, 2007
There's a post over on RDPD, on the General board called, I think, "where are all the women", and the women are saying they're over on the Rich Woman site; but the latest post (by--and forgive me if spell this wrong---yvelinksky gives me pause). She basically says that they're talking about business, and don't have time for all the hoo-ha that appears there.

So the question is; do you think that women entrepreneurs are more 'focused' than men? I mean, I see the point of the RDPD thread, and the comments on there, and I know of Erin and Kim......makes me wonder.....

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
sexism alive?

So the question is; do you think that women entrepreneurs are more 'focused' than men?

naw. I think it really does very from person to person....

I do have to say though..... I used to think we had come a long way as far as getting rid of sexism.... but lately I have been running into some weird situations...:pissed:

My husband and I have been meeting a lot of new people lately (men) monstly in the world of banking and business.... and they ALWAYS talk to him. Sometimes excluding me completely.

I am the numbers person of the two of us - and the best person to answer questions about financials... but they ask hubby time and time again.

The first time it happened, I was a little myffed - but figured it could be my imagination.

It happened about 6 more times over the next month. Made me wonder if sexism in the world of business and banking is alive and well.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I was looking thru the member log and surprisingly, many of the members here are women!! You'd expect a money forum to be 98% men, right now, we are at about 20% women.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
Re: sexism alive?

It happened about 6 more times over the next month. Made me wonder if sexism in the world of business and banking is alive and well.

'Course it is.
I tend to use it to my advantage.
I'll walk into a meeting with a guy
and totally fly under the radar.
Folks will tell me all sorts of interesting stuff (like the real cost of something).
It is a wonderful advantage.

Are women investors more focussed?
I think we are busier.
Women still tend to do more of the home and care work.
Heck, I even lay out my hubby's clothes and make him breakfast.

And studies show that women tend to delegate less.
They'll bootstrap their businesses.

So the combo of the two means a time crunch.

: )

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
we are at about 20% women.

Is that all? I would expect it to be higher. Allthough - we do have the fast-car thing going here too.... which will probably tend to attract more men.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
My wife has been learning a lot about investments lately, and she does not stop to surprise with the way she sees and analyzes deals. Definitively she has a completely different way of thinking, and she can see things that would never occur to me. I'm glad I now can ask her to help me verify my investment ideas and she will almost always come back with a "small detail" that I had not thought about. She may not post here, but she reads it now and then.

Last edited by a moderator:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
andviv-

My wife is my business partner and confidant.

She's an incredible asset to our team.

She also "sees" things that I don't.

Her ability to read a contract and pick out a mistake-- in seconds-- never ceases to amaze me.

And we're different enough on things that when I have a problem with something (in a deal), she can reframe it in a way that, viewed from that perspective, now works for me.

There is no doubt that we're where we are today b/c of our synergy.

Way cool. :hurray:

-Russ H.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
From the Art of the Start...

On developing a viable business model:

"My final tip is that you ask women - and only women... ...they are much better judges of the viability of a business model than men are. Don't agree with me? The book The Darwin Awards provides irrefutable proof of women's greater common sense. These awards commemorate 'those individuals who have removed themselves from the gene pool in a sublimely idiotic fashon.'... ... The Darwin Awards contains nine chapters about the stupidity of men, and one chapter about the stupidity of women. I rest my case."

Last edited:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Sonya-

Hmm . . . not the way I tend to look at things.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm an idiot ('cause I am :) )

But I'm reluctant to label others this way.

The one exception (which I'm sure you've noticed on the forums) is when I suspect someone who has no experience making recommendations or suggestions on something they know nothing about.

Then, it's challenge time. Time to convince me you have the chops to tell us what to do.

Are the Art of the Start authors male? It almost sounds like they're pandering to a female audience (since their words, as written, are not designed to make males feel all warm, fuzzy, and needed-- important for us guys, as much as we deny it ;) )

-Russ H.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
But I'm reluctant to label others this way.

:iamwithstupid: agreed.

Are the Art of the Start authors male? It almost sounds like they're pandering to a female audience (since their words, as written, are not designed to make males feel all warm, fuzzy, and needed-- important for us guys, as much as we deny it ;) )

-Russ H.

Yes, the author is male. Guy Kawasaki.

While I don't like to label others, and I certainly don't consider men idiots - I do .... to my feminist ego's grimmace.... wonder if there are "general" characteristics that are true to the sexes (???)

Are women (generally) more practical while men are the dreamers?

(I think that is what Kawasaki is alluding to) Both are valuable - indeed important to a successful business.... they compliment each other well, actually. It is important in any organization to recognize who is the dreamer and who is the practical one - and to check in (and not discount) what the practical one has to say.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
OMG, Guy Kawasaki?

As a Mac nerd, I've read his books for ages.

The Macintosh Way and Selling the Dream were some of my fave books in the early 90s.

I must be seriously out of the loop-- I'd never have pegged him for name calling like this.

Guess I'll have to give it a read and see what I think.

As to your observations about men and women, and characteristics-- here's my 02:

Men and women are different. Der!

But not always in predictable ways.

I'm the one that asks for directions.

Makes lists.

Asks how she's feeling.

Does the cooking.

Likes to decorate.

. . . you get the idea.

She's the one who:

Cuts to the chase.

Likes to watch TV.

Was in a fantasy football league.

Drives fast.

Has drinking buddies.

Yet, we compliment each other very well.

I think having different qualities can make for an interesting, and potentially synergistic, relationship.

But I'm not sure if all men and women share the same "male" or "female" characteristics.

-Russ H.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Before I had kids, I was pretty sure that there was no difference between the sexes.... that any differences were due to social and cultural conditioning - and not due to anything biological.

Then I had a little girl. Then I had a little boy. Followed by another girl.

One day, when my oldest girl was 2 1/2 and my boy was 1 I took them for a walk. On the sidewalk, we saw a lady bug. My girl said, "oh mommy, isn't it cute?" My boy waddled up to the bug - looked at it - then stomped on it.

My take on the sexes changed a little that day.

Having said that - my hubby does the cooking - mostly.
He does the cleaning too.

I am the "responsible one" while he is the "dreamer" - but both my parents are in relationships (not with eachother) in which the woman is the dreamer and the man is the responsible one.

I definately agree that you can not say "all" men this or "all" women that - but what about "most" or "a lot" ?

I honestly don't know.

I guess that brings us full circle to the very beginning of this thread... are women the action takers? The answer is....

some women are
some women are not
some men are
some men are not

Oh, and Russ.... I look forward to hearing what you think about Guys The Art of the Start!!
FYI, the part I left out in his quote - in the interest of saving space was about men having the "kill" gene and that their instinct is to "kill the competition" where as a woman does not have that gene.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
About the "kill" gene... I've struggle with it a lot. I was raised to be "the best in your class", the "Best in your office"... this creates (or nurtures?) a competitive mindset. Just lately I've come to realize that I can do better in investments and businesses by cooperation rather than by competition. I thought I had to defeat everybody. Now I understand I can do better if I work with others. Now this took me some 20 years to get there, realize it was happening, and then start to change it. My wife seems to know this "naturally" as it just makes sense.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
bump.

-Russ H.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Hey Russ...

Did you ever read the book - Art of the Start?

Interested in your reaction.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
The issue with these discussions
is that we always want to apply the average
to specific examples.

It doesn't work that way.

The average female entrepreneur delegates less
and is less likely to use leverage.

We can't then point to ATW or myself
and say that we'll be less likely to use leverage.

The average woman has 1.98 kids.
Neither of us have 1.98 kids.
No woman does (Yikes, I hope).
Why?
Because the average woman doesn't exist.

And I seriously question that
anyone close to the average woman
is reading this board.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
The average woman has 1.98 kids.
Neither of us have 1.98 kids.
No woman does (Yikes, I hope).

my wife has 1.98 children... about 10 days away from kid #2. heh (insert nervous laugh here)

different strokes for different folks -Its so very humbling that my wife has no idea what goes on in my day yet shes happy that food is on the table and the mortgage is paid all the while our kid is laughing at the silliest things...

that said, I offer a very sincere kudos to the ladies balancing family and biz ... those who contribute here provide advice on these boards are very talented women. I know this first hand without meeting these gals

and I saw another thread here about how to pick a lifemate... folks - here is my advice, take it or leave it, its only my advice and it is truly as fast lane as it gets:

nothing in this world is more important than your family. not even all money in the world, business, possessions, toys, cars... nothing can match the happiness the family can bring to your life.... sure it helps with successful biz and/or real estate but thats replacable

Last edited:

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
I agree that nothing is more important than family
but I would also add
that if the person loves you for who you are
than they will also love you for being an entrepreneur.

A loved one recently separated from his wife.
His wife's excuse for cheating on him?
That he was working all the time,
building his business.
Ah, duh.
He worked these hours when they first met.
He never changed.
For some reason,
she was hoping he would.

The hubby is NOT an entrepreneur.
However, he knows I'm a project gal,
that I will always have some project on the go,
sucking up the hours.
I've been that way since birth.
I'm not going to change
(I don't think I can)
and he doesn't want me too.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
If you want a good explanation of the differences between men and women you should check out "the way of the Superior man" by David Dieda.

David goes into great detail about this.

http://www.menweb.org/waysuper.htm

I'm not particulaly fond of books that label men or women for that matter as stupid.
Like laura schitlslinger.:puke::puke::puke::puke:

Both men and women have their purpose. And both purposes are equally important.

This book focuses on what "to do" as opposed to what "not to do"

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
I agree that nothing is more important than family
but I would also add
that if the person loves you for who you are
than they will also love you for being an entrepreneur.

A loved one recently separated from his wife.
His wife's excuse for cheating on him?
That he was working all the time,
building his business.
Ah, duh.
He worked these hours when they first met.
He never changed.
For some reason,
she was hoping he would.

The hubby is NOT an entrepreneur.
However, he knows I'm a project gal,
that I will always have some project on the go,
sucking up the hours.
I've been that way since birth.
I'm not going to change
(I don't think I can)
and he doesn't want me too.

let me guess.... that woman who cheated probably enjoyed some pretty nice luxuries that she probably pushed for...

and couldnt agree more with your post .... support goes both ways for any choices made by either party

R

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
let me guess.... that woman who cheated probably enjoyed some pretty nice luxuries that she probably pushed for...

Actually no.
Every extra dollar he made was poured back into the business.
The couple had been together a decade
and had five kids.

I can understand why she finally gave up
(I think she expected him to get rich over night).
I did not respect the way she did it.

That's why brutal honestly from the outset is good.
My hubby knew I'd have flakey income
(why we waited until after building a slowlane base)
and work crazy hours.
The entrepreneur's life is not for everyone.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
There's a post over on RDPD, on the General board called, I think, "where are all the women", and the women are saying they're over on the Rich Woman site; but the latest post (by--and forgive me if spell this wrong---yvelinksky gives me pause). She basically says that they're talking about business, and don't have time for all the hoo-ha that appears there.

So the question is; do you think that women entrepreneurs are more 'focused' than men? I mean, I see the point of the RDPD thread, and the comments on there, and I know of Erin and Kim......makes me wonder.....

I'm not sure I understand which post of mine you are referencing. If you are talking about the RD site- then, one of last posts there regarding "hoo-ha" was this:

"Quote: ORIGINAL: 10milliondollarsecret

Yveskleinsky, I am not involved in MLM in any way shape or form. This thread is anything BUT an attempt to do promote anything other than learning. And, since I have as much right to post here as you do, if you are bothered by my threads it would make sense for you just not to read them any longer. After all, why are you so disappointed? If this is a waste of your time just choose do somehting else!"

My response:

1. You don' t promote learning. You promote learning your " system" . (Cough-MLM-cough)

2. You actually don' t have a right to post in here- that' s the point. This is shameless self-promotion dressed up as information, and since it is self-promotion it should be posted in self-promotion....post there all you want. ...And rest assured I won' t be reading it.

3. I am disappointed because I remember a day when this forum was truly informative and like-minded people networked in spam-free peace. The fact that you and others like you (you know who you are) come into this forum under the guise of a wanna-be mentor, but all you' re really trying to do is sell beginning members (who probably have their guard down, assuming that they can trust people on this site for unbiased info) on some sort of system. That is what I' m disappointed about...the lack of standards on this site and what it has morphed into.

For the record- I have no problem with you and your system- but let' s just call things what they are and stop pretending that it is unbiased (or free) information.

As for the RichWoman site, I posted on there a couple of times, but the whole concept of splitting up men and women to discuss financial freedom really bothered me. I felt that members should be unified over shared ideas, not gender. I'm not into discussing women's issues, as I really don't feel there is such a thing. Granted, there are issues that women may have, but I don't make them my own. If some a-hole is sexist (which does happen quite often) then I view it as his issue, and not mine. Personally, I love going toe-to-toe with sexist guys in business (or poker) as they are easy to rattle and tend to underestimate me. At the end of the day, regardless of your gender, work with the strengths that are in your corner, don't worry about people not accepting you or your ideas- because frankly if you let others hold you down, it's just an excuse that's created to make failure more pallatable.

As a general answer to your question, I think focus has nothing to do with gender. Focus, determination and success is a result of good habits and choices- nothing more, nothing less. ...And most all the women have migrated here. :smxB:

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
As for the RichWoman site, I posted on there a couple of times, but the whole concept of splitting up men and women to discuss financial freedom really bothered me. I felt that members should be unified over shared ideas, not gender. I'm not into discussing women's issues, as I really don't feel there is such a thing. Granted, there are issues that women may have, but I don't make them my own. If some a-hole is sexist (which does happen quite often) then I view it as his issue, and not mine. Personally, I love going toe-to-toe with sexist guys in business (or poker) as they are easy to rattle and tend to underestimate me.

I LOVE going head to head with the sexist male also.
Sexism (any ism actually) is a weakness
and weaknesses make you easy to manipulate.

I'm not big into the splitting up of men and women either.
I think there's so few wealth builders out there anyway
that to split up that group more
doesn't make much sense.

That said,
I do write to women on my blogs
because, well, I'm a woman
and I talk about what works for me.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Why would I expect that?

We live in a society that was once dominated by men. It hasn't been changing for long, relatively speaking, so the old statistics are still commonplace.

IMHO, who cares about gender. Male or female, anyone willing to step up and do something remarkable is awesome!

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
Hm... Why? Because men are more motivated by power (money)? Seems to me that money is attractive to everybody. This isn't the '50s. I iron my own shirts...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.