The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why some People make more money than You ?

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
I know what you think. Yes I've already read the fastlane book.

But I still don't get why some people are faster or better at making money than you.

Other than mindset what are other skills great to develop to make money in the long term?

I'm studying, doing odd jobs to support my studies and working on online business but it's all a slow process for now. I know other people that do the same but make more money than me and faster than me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
What we earn is proportional to the value we create. Don't make it any more complicated. I didn't read much value to others in your post.

Ok sure sir!

What do you mean by last phrase? I don't provide much value here? I'm still learning , I'm sorry If I didn't , I'm trying , failing every day, improving my mindset etc and learning to provide the best value to people.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Ok sure sir!

What do you mean by last phrase? I don't provide much value here? I'm still learning , I'm sorry If I didn't , I'm trying , failing every day, improving my mindset etc and learning to provide the best value to people.

He wasn't making a general statement about your posts, just about the original post.

A better value added way of phrasing your post would be to list what you think are the top 4 reasons that some out earn others, talk about your struggles and what you're personally doing to fix it, and ask the audience for input on their struggles. This gives us your insights, a window into your thought process and a way to engage something meaningful. As it is currently worded, it's just an expression of desperation or frustration.

Mindset is important, but it's not everything. I think people place too much emphasis on it because it's so nebulous you can fart around and pretend to make progress, because you're improving your "mindset". This delusion will persist in spite of a lack of progression towards physical and demonstrable goals.

A winning mindset is comprised of two things: the belief that whatever it is you want to accomplish can actually be done, and a belief that there exists a process of achieving that goal. If accept these two facts then it's just a matter of commitment to the goal.

But, to address your original questions:

Everything is difficult when you start. What separates the earners from the dreamers is the following:

0) Persistence - you must accept that it will be difficult. It's not difficult because of your lack of intelligence or whatever quality you think you need. It's just difficult because you're rewiring the neurons in your brain and this takes energy. If you accept this and continue on the path, it will get easier. Your brain literally cannot help but learn.

1) Consistency - doing what needs to be done every single day. The more volume the better, but there has to be some minimum that you do no matter what. Relies on #0

2) Iteration - you won't really know what people need until you talk to them. The problem you set out to solve may not be the one that makes you the most money, because it's not the most painful problem for the prospect. Don't be dogmatic and be willing to go with the market. This is impossible to do without #0 and #1

3) Upskilling - learning to solve bigger and more painful problems through increasing your own skills, or hiring people better than you to fill in the gaps. If you're thinking of products, then it means designing products with a higher reach or larger market need. This also rests upon #0, #1, and #2.

For me, I'm used to most things coming easily ( physics and math is my background, reasonably easy for me ) so when something is difficult it's an unfamiliar sensation. I'm getting used to it, so #0 is improving and I'm convinced this will result in what I want in life.

Anybody else have other suggestions?

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Ok sure sir!

A doctor study's his a$$ off for a long time, he doesn't provide value and get paid until he helps patients.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
I know other people that do the same but make more money than me and faster than me.

Life's not fair. Never has been. Never will be. What other people make is totally irrelevant. The only thing that matters is: Are you doing the best you can to move forward?

Are you working as hard as you can?
Are you serving your customers to the best of your ability?
Are you providing the best products/services you can provide?

There's only two people worth comparing yourself to: Who you were yesterday, and who you want to be.

Besides - you never truly know how well another person is doing. All you know is what they choose to show you.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
I know other people that do the same but make more money than me and faster than me.

Except they aren't doing the same thing.

They sell online same as you, but that's likely where the similarities end.

Maybe they work faster, or harder, or more productively, or have more experience, or sell a better product, or have better copy writing skills, or whatever, whatever, whatever.

It's likely you do some stuff better than them too, you just can't or won't see it.

That's why it's so damaging, unproductive, and pointless to compare yourself to others. Because you are NOT comparing apples to apples with someone else EVER.

Every business is unique. Every person is unique. And the way every person runs their business is unique. (this is one of the reasons a "step by step" business plan is a ridiculous thing for people to want. How is a cookie cutter biz plan supposed to account for the differences?)

That leaves the only rational baseline for comparison...YOURSELF.

As cliche as it sounds, *yourself* is the only logical choice for measuring whether you are advancing towards your goals. Did YOU improve today?

When you look at other people, you shouldn't compare yourself to them. Instead, you can train your mind to observe 2 other things:

1) It's possible.

If you see other people doing something successfully, then you know it is possible to do it too. (barring genetic limitations like my 5'8 a$$ ever being in the NBA...ya know?)

2) Seeing HOW they do it.

What are they doing that works? How are they doing it? And is it adaptable to your needs?

Teach yourself to observe those 2 things instead of comparing yourself to their highlights.

Natural human tendency to compare for sure, but you can teach your brain to work differently.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Better value.
Better execution.
Better location.
Better networking circle. (He went to Stanford, I went to Harper Community College.)
Better mindset.
Better health.
Better productivity.
Better inner self-talk.
Better manager of fear/risk.

A ton of variables go into WHY some makes more money than someone similar.

One person can make millions more than someone else, yet, they're providing the EXACT same value.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Stop focusing on 'make money' and instead focus on 'create value'.

You say they are doing the 'same' as you. Obviously not. Spend time figuring out the differences and how you can incorporate what you learn into what you are doing.

You also may just need more hooks in the water. Even two people with the same lure/rod/casting technique in the exact same fishing hole will catch different amounts of fish. Keep putting yourself in the spot where the fish are ......

To help provide you some value...... some skills:
- ability to identify a market
- ability to negotiate and finds wins for both sides (study BATNA)
- ability to network for 'fishing spots'
- experience in making deals

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu

But I still don't get why some people are faster or better at making money than you.

Other than mindset what are other skills great to develop to make money in the long term?

I'm studying, doing odd jobs to support my studies and working on online business but it's all a slow process for now. I know other people that do the same but make more money than me and faster than me.
Thanks for asking here. I've been wondering this myself.

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
Thanks a lot to all guys and to MJ de Marco. Best replies so far! It's all more clear now.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I would boil it down to self-esteem.

The key word is "Self" in the word. So it can't have anything to do with an external thing or person.

It's about having confidence in our abilities to tackle difficult problems in life.

A lot of people fail because they never really realize that whats holding them back is themselves.

Because if you are gonna provide value of some sort its gonna require some pretty exclusive and difficult insight to some problem and solution in society.

And that requires a special kind of mind. A mind that your schooling nor your parents gave you.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

You say they are doing the same thing. But are they?

What are they doing and what are you doing?

AfterWind

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Jul 23, 2017
Romania
Once you have the proper mindset you will know exactly what you need to learn and which skills to gain.

I know I'm a beginner as well but, some of the skills that people have talked about over here (especially the one @MidwestLandlord was talking about) have come naturally after I improved my mindset. The path becomes very clear once you have the right mindset.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
I know I'm a beginner as well but, some of the skills that people have talked about over here (especially the one @MidwestLandlord was talking about) have come naturally after I improved my mindset. The path becomes very clear once you have the right mindset.

I'm glad it comes naturally for you.

It doesn't come naturally for me, oh no. Not in the slightest.

I'm highly competitive, impatient, and a bit insecure with certain things, so when I see someone doing better than I or if I perceive that they "make it look easy" than I have to consciously make an effort to not compare myself with them.

Even on this forum I've caught myself thinking with the ecommerce guys "they make it look so easy!"

Which, of course, is complete and utter bullshit. In no way do they make it look easy and they are very transparent with the difficulties they've had and the shear amount of hard work they've put in.

So when my type 8 personality comes through in a negative way like that, I take a step back and realize I'm being a fool. Then I re-center myself by getting back to work providing value.

@alan3wilson , there's some complete honesty for you. Hope it helps.

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
I'm glad it comes naturally for you.

It doesn't come naturally for me, oh no. Not in the slightest.

I'm highly competitive, impatient, and a bit insecure with certain things, so when I see someone doing better than I or if I perceive that they "make it look easy" than I have to consciously make an effort to not compare myself with them.

Even on this forum I've caught myself thinking with the ecommerce guys "they make it look so easy!"

Which, of course, is complete and utter bullshit. In no way do they make it look easy and they are very transparent with the difficulties they've had and the shear amount of hard work they've put in.

So when my type 8 personality comes through in a negative way like that, I take a step back and realize I'm being a fool. Then I re-center myself by getting back to work providing value.

@alan3wilson , there's some complete honesty for you. Hope it helps.

Thanks for the reply, got it.

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
Being on a higher place in the value chain will do that to you, this applies both to business and jobs. Learn the basics of how our capitalistic society functions first, the fundamentals, how it divides and specializes trading between enterprises and people, how that creates different value chains with different structures for different businesses, thus creating different opportunities for different people who hold those jobs within those business. For example, being a low rank employee in the defense industry is vastly better in terms of effort needed and work performed than a low rank employee in the entertainment industry, because they reside on different spots of different value chains. Not all hard work are created equal just like people themselves.

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
I feel this same about the options guys. I'm still working at it though. Growl sound.
Yeah so easy after some 25 years of work and research, sure it does look easy isn't it.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
working on online business
Do you have a specific product or service that you're producing and delivering to customers? Do customers like your product and recommend it to their friends?

If no, keep solving their problems and delivering your solutions to the market until you can answer yes to both.

If yes, it comes down to:

1. Advertise more.
2. Know how to sell.

he doesn't provide value and get paid until he helps patients.
*insert healthcare joke here*

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Follow the principles and you'll make money. Some people are luckier than others or are in better places to make money faster than others. I had a wealth of relationships in my industry when I became an entrepreneur from my career, along with some luck - and used those opportunities to get off the ground. Some may take longer, some will do it faster than me.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
1) Initial mindset - starting out some people will be more fluid or in a situation that is helping them creatively so they only need to pivot or adjust to get started. Often this includes good aggression, willingness to learn, and not using what they learn to "back off".
2) Perspective - is it the world they need to alter and overcome or is it a specific scenario. Often times momentum is gathered up by doing many small things right, and that helps you circle around problems and come at them more creatively.
3) Not afraid - coming from a position of strength they do what seems most intuitive and try to get a feel for it, and often itch to apply it

Some of what you see is an illusion though
While many people make more money, often times reckless spending habits are a serious issue. Also often when you win big, you try to win even bigger and often that runs you right into trouble.

In short they act without thinking. They are not know it alls they are do-it-alls.
And it is important to do that.
Though, sometimes all you can do if you lack these things is recoil in fear, your only solace being that "they don't get it though".
Many don't get it, many won't need to cuz they have enough budgeting ability to keep afloat, so, why be stubborn on knowing the right way if it is holding you back?

I'm unfortunately stubborn, my dreams are too big, and my lack of all of the above in business is utterly crippling.
BUT, haha, I've survived as an entrepreneur on my own for the better part of a decade. They key word being SURVIVED, cuz that is all you can really do if you want to "know it all". And ironically, trying to "know it all" means you don't have the implicit knowledge from doing it, you have to make inferences and leaps of judgement which are doubtlessly going to be off center.

It isn't that people are inherently better than you, though sometimes they could be, it is that their approach is simpler and less in need of convoluted solutions to make it work. Often they just look at what works and try to understand the workings of it until they feel confident in its application.

Looking at it from the outside, all you will see is peoples flaws and all the nasty implications of their successes. This is counter productive however because what you really need to do is understand that they are struggling too but just in the act of doing. And you can do that too, you only require the will to do so.

Err, I know all this but still avoid it. My reasoning is actually based on sound logic though, "those who shoot up too fast, often lose perspective in the melee", I wanted to sit back, observe, judge, gaze. I believe intelligence is the ultimate. However, I struggle with that belief because I REALLY REALLY want to help people I care about, and I start to feel more and more responsible for not acting, until it drains on me.

I dunno, I think each person has their own way to go about it. Biz is really tricky though, so just keep your wits about you and try hard, all you can do.

Last edited:

Max Gambit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 12, 2017
USA
Your values are the things that you believe are important in the way you live and work.

They (should) determine your priorities, and, deep down, they're probably the measures you use to tell if your life is turning out the way you want it to.

When the things that you do and the way you behave match your values, life is usually good – you're satisfied and content. But when these don't align with your personal values, that's when things feel... wrong. This can be a real source of unhappiness.

This is why making a conscious effort to identify your values is so important.

Max Gambit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 12, 2017
USA
Identifying and understanding your values is a challenging and important exercise. Your personal values are a central part of who you are – and who you want to be. By becoming more aware of these important factors in your life, you can use them as a guide to make the best choice in any situation.

Some of life's decisions are really about determining what you value most. When many options seem reasonable, it's helpful and comforting to rely on your values – and use them as a strong guiding force to point you in the right direction.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.