The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why I am trying to make ONE dollar…and you should too.

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
I want to be painfully honest while writing this and tell you everything I am not first, very quickly. I am not a millionaire. Yet. I am not the owner of any type of exotic autos whose price tag could bankroll an entire third world country for a year. I am not a “Guru.” And last but not least I am not broke. But I feel like it sometimes.

I guess if I had to define me I would sum me up by saying that I am a man on a journey with too many damned paths in front of him. I have been self employed since 2004 (or self jobbed if you prefer) and I have been in and out of a few businesses that kept the bills paid but never brought in enough income to change my lifestyle. Most notably (oh I am not a professional writer either) I have owned about 6 rental houses, a mental health agency and a home health agency which I currently own and make a living at.
Now that I think about it I really could’ve entitled this “A Day Late and A Dollar Short” because that’s how 2 of these businesses were started and ended. OK real quick I got into real estate investing around 2002 just when mortgage loans were being given out like condoms at the health clinic and money back at closing was the waaaayyyyy…Thanks Carlton Sheets my credit wasn’t really that important to me. I was introduced to mental health through a mental health worker that was working with a client living in one of my rooming houses. The money she told me these agencies were making seemed un-be-lievable. Me being the paranoid dude that I am I met with a few agency owners, did my due diligence and confirmed what was told to me. Many of these guys were raking in upward 200k per month. Yes I said per month. Back then the hourly rate for the type of service I was going to offer was $54 an hour, per client and many of the providers had at least 200 clients (Medicaid) that were authorized 30 hours per week. Do the math. So I developed my policies and jumped in …Head first. Only to be stopped by the cold reality of “too good to be true” and it was.

Right after I jumped in little did I know that Medicaid decided they were tired of paying millions of dollars out to guys like the ones I knew just to have them show up at the BMW dealerships with bags full of cash. Blinging on the states tab was about to come to a screeching halt and many of them would later owe the state millions back, go to jail, or go into hiding. And there I was with a $1500 per month office lease (oh yeah I thought I was about to be balling) and insurances that were costing me another $700 per month. It stayed that way 10 months before I made a dime. And even when I did start to make money I was only grossing about $6,500 per week. Before expenses.

Eventually the state would regulate mental health so much that it would become too expensive to provide the service. They would pay millions of dollars to private contractors to audit agencies like mine so meticulously that in 90 percent of the audit findings they were requiring 30 day paybacks of 300k to 2 million dollars. Due in 30 days. You can guess that many of them didn’t have it. Fortunately I was not one of these because I figured if I did things correctly and offered a quality service the business would prosper, the state would be happy and we would live happily ever after. Not.

After 3 or four different state revisions to the service and dealing with applicants applying to my company that were infected by the thought process of many other corrupt and out of business agencies I decided it was time to pull the plug and do something different. Which was a lot more gratifying but I would soon learn riddled with some of the same headaches on the employee side of things.

The money that “I” invested into that first business came from a real estate deal that I put together with a 30 unit apartment complex that I technically owned for a day then sold to a couple in California (I live in NC) for a 180k profit. After I paid all the closing expenses and gave them some cash back at closing I wound up with about 127k for myself. Not bad for a property I owned for less than 24hours. But it took me a year to close this deal. This was really the second flip that I had done like this the first netted me 30k but these deals distorted my reality about how money could be made. You see that first and second real estate transaction made me want to make money in huge 6 figure chunks from then on. I believed that every transaction could and should bring in 6 figures. Little did I realize that that’s not how most business transactions work in the beginning, I had become blinded by my own ignorance.

My current business has taught me the value of patience, planning and marketing. Am I content where I am right now financially? HELL NO. But at least I understand why I am here. I am not tickled about dealing with a lot of employees either. Humans are unpredictable, which leads to unpredictable outcomes in business. What I do know is I had been so focused on hitting a home run every single swing that I forgot about how all the base hits would still get me home. But on a more consistent basis.

I now own a few good domains and some good ideas and my first goal is a pretty simple one, MAKE ONE DOLLAR. That’s a base hit for me, and it does something else. It implants the belief that if I can make one dollar from a product or service that I am selling on the Internet that proves to me that someone values what I am selling enough to spend his hard earned dollar on it. Which means to me that I have something of value that can be sold. The next step is simple. Find out how to reach a million more guys like him that find value in what I have to offer and convince them to buy it too.

I know it sounds simple but it took me 3 businesses, a totally destroyed credit score, 8 years and countless thousands of dollars to learn this truth. I never mentioned that 2 of my houses were foreclosed on because most of my money was locked in to the business with the big payoff that never happened.

The Millionaire Fastlane is my Rosetta Stone assisting me to see and understand money, as it is plentiful but abundantly accessible only to those willing to understand the laws of wealth. So if you are like me or like I was, I share my story only in hopes that you avoid a lot of the traps I walked in to. I am 41 years young and leave you with one piece of advice? Make a dollar first then duplicate, duplicate, duplicate.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Welcome to the forum! Interesting story you got there. I assume you are now delving into the world of Internet businesses, so good luck!

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Welcome - I would search the usernames biophase and lighthouse as a start to get a good primer on ecommerce. I have found them both exceptionally helpful in my personal ecommerce pursuits.

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
Thanks a million bro.

Welcome - I would search the usernames biophase and lighthouse as a start to get a good primer on ecommerce. I have found them both exceptionally helpful in my personal ecommerce pursuits.

I am open to learn anything useful

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
J thanks for the word of encouragement bro

AMfree

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jan 11, 2012
"41 one years young?" hahahahahahah! thats interesting to hear
welcome by the way

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
AMfree. Out of his whole post, that is what you focused on? You just demonstrated your age. Since you're still wet behind the ears, you may want to talk less and observe more.

Yuseef. Welcome to the forum. I see a lot of you in my history! However, I am proof that if you keep swinging the bat, your singles will turn into doubles, then triples as you develop into a home run hitter. I loved your honesty, your intensity, and your desire. You are going to win.

Your age and your war scars will help you win. Recent GREAT examples would be Evan Williams of Twitter (age 35 in 2007), Mark Pincus of Zynga (age 41 in 2007), Arianna Huffington of the Huffington Post (age 54 in 2005), among many others. Jeff Bezos was age 30 in 1994.

The Kauffman Foundation for Entrepreneurship finds that despite our pop culture image of the typical entrepreneur, it is older people in increasing numbers who are starting their own businesses. In every year since the mid-90s, the group with the lowest rate of entrepreneurship was those aged 20 to 34. The group with the highest rate? Those age 55 to 64.

Check out this article when you have a chance. Innovation Grows Among Older Workers - The Daily Beast

Ray Croc was 52 when he opened the first restaurant now known as McDonalds. You are at the very beginning of something great. Post your address if you want in your profile and I will send you the first dollar you are looking for.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas A. Edison

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
I want to be painfully honest while writing this and tell you everything I am not first, very quickly. I am not a millionaire. Yet. I am not the owner of any type of exotic autos whose price tag could bankroll an entire third world country for a year. I am not a “Guru.” And last but not least I am not broke. But I feel like it sometimes.

I guess if I had to define me I would sum me up by saying that I am a man on a journey with too many damned paths in front of him. I have been self employed since 2004 (or self jobbed if you prefer) and I have been in and out of a few businesses that kept the bills paid but never brought in enough income to change my lifestyle. Most notably (oh I am not a professional writer either) I have owned about 6 rental houses, a mental health agency and a home health agency which I currently own and make a living at.
Now that I think about it I really could’ve entitled this “A Day Late and A Dollar Short” because that’s how 2 of these businesses were started and ended. OK real quick I got into real estate investing around 2002 just when mortgage loans were being given out like condoms at the health clinic and money back at closing was the waaaayyyyy…Thanks Carlton Sheets my credit wasn’t really that important to me. I was introduced to mental health through a mental health worker that was working with a client living in one of my rooming houses. The money she told me these agencies were making seemed un-be-lievable. Me being the paranoid dude that I am I met with a few agency owners, did my due diligence and confirmed what was told to me. Many of these guys were raking in upward 200k per month. Yes I said per month. Back then the hourly rate for the type of service I was going to offer was $54 an hour, per client and many of the providers had at least 200 clients (Medicaid) that were authorized 30 hours per week. Do the math. So I developed my policies and jumped in …Head first. Only to be stopped by the cold reality of “too good to be true” and it was.

Right after I jumped in little did I know that Medicaid decided they were tired of paying millions of dollars out to guys like the ones I knew just to have them show up at the BMW dealerships with bags full of cash. Blinging on the states tab was about to come to a screeching halt and many of them would later owe the state millions back, go to jail, or go into hiding. And there I was with a $1500 per month office lease (oh yeah I thought I was about to be balling) and insurances that were costing me another $700 per month. It stayed that way 10 months before I made a dime. And even when I did start to make money I was only grossing about $6,500 per week. Before expenses.

Eventually the state would regulate mental health so much that it would become too expensive to provide the service. They would pay millions of dollars to private contractors to audit agencies like mine so meticulously that in 90 percent of the audit findings they were requiring 30 day paybacks of 300k to 2 million dollars. Due in 30 days. You can guess that many of them didn’t have it. Fortunately I was not one of these because I figured if I did things correctly and offered a quality service the business would prosper, the state would be happy and we would live happily ever after. Not.

After 3 or four different state revisions to the service and dealing with applicants applying to my company that were infected by the thought process of many other corrupt and out of business agencies I decided it was time to pull the plug and do something different. Which was a lot more gratifying but I would soon learn riddled with some of the same headaches on the employee side of things.

The money that “I” invested into that first business came from a real estate deal that I put together with a 30 unit apartment complex that I technically owned for a day then sold to a couple in California (I live in NC) for a 180k profit. After I paid all the closing expenses and gave them some cash back at closing I wound up with about 127k for myself. Not bad for a property I owned for less than 24hours. But it took me a year to close this deal. This was really the second flip that I had done like this the first netted me 30k but these deals distorted my reality about how money could be made. You see that first and second real estate transaction made me want to make money in huge 6 figure chunks from then on. I believed that every transaction could and should bring in 6 figures. Little did I realize that that’s not how most business transactions work in the beginning, I had become blinded by my own ignorance.

My current business has taught me the value of patience, planning and marketing. Am I content where I am right now financially? HELL NO. But at least I understand why I am here. I am not tickled about dealing with a lot of employees either. Humans are unpredictable, which leads to unpredictable outcomes in business. What I do know is I had been so focused on hitting a home run every single swing that I forgot about how all the base hits would still get me home. But on a more consistent basis.

I now own a few good domains and some good ideas and my first goal is a pretty simple one, MAKE ONE DOLLAR. That’s a base hit for me, and it does something else. It implants the belief that if I can make one dollar from a product or service that I am selling on the Internet that proves to me that someone values what I am selling enough to spend his hard earned dollar on it. Which means to me that I have something of value that can be sold. The next step is simple. Find out how to reach a million more guys like him that find value in what I have to offer and convince them to buy it too.

I know it sounds simple but it took me 3 businesses, a totally destroyed credit score, 8 years and countless thousands of dollars to learn this truth. I never mentioned that 2 of my houses were foreclosed on because most of my money was locked in to the business with the big payoff that never happened.

The Millionaire Fastlane is my Rosetta Stone assisting me to see and understand money, as it is plentiful but abundantly accessible only to those willing to understand the laws of wealth. So if you are like me or like I was, I share my story only in hopes that you avoid a lot of the traps I walked in to. I am 41 years young and leave you with one piece of advice? Make a dollar first then duplicate, duplicate, duplicate.

Interesting story. Make one dollar first and then duplicate...You have to make $1 before you can make $1,000,000

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
AMfree. Out of his whole post, that is what you focused on? You just demonstrated your age. Since you're still wet behind the ears, you may want to talk less and observe more.

Yuseef. Welcome to the forum. I see a lot of you in my history! However, I am proof that if you keep swinging the bat, your singles will turn into doubles, then triples as you develop into a home run hitter. I loved your honesty, your intensity, and your desire. You are going to win.

Your age and your war scars will help you win. Recent GREAT examples would be Evan Williams of Twitter (age 35 in 2007), Mark Pincus of Zynga (age 41 in 2007), Arianna Huffington of the Huffington Post (age 54 in 2005), among many others. Jeff Bezos was age 30 in 1994.

The Kauffman Foundation for Entrepreneurship finds that despite our pop culture image of the typical entrepreneur, it is older people in increasing numbers who are starting their own businesses. In every year since the mid-90s, the group with the lowest rate of entrepreneurship was those aged 20 to 34. The group with the highest rate? Those age 55 to 64.

Check out this article when you have a chance. Innovation Grows Among Older Workers - The Daily Beast

Ray Croc was 52 when he opened the first restaurant now known as McDonalds. You are at the very beginning of something great. Post your address if you want in your profile and I will send you the first dollar you are looking for.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas A. Edison

That was absolute fire Vigilante. You have given me something equal to that first dollar...Confirmation. By the way I am a huge fan of Edison. I have my eye on your energy.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
There are a ton companies that make a ton of $$$ in the healthcare industry. Are you sure that you've thoroughly analyzed your business to see if there is some way that you can make your existing company Fastlane? While I know that it is definitely a pain to deal with people, you have definitely put a lot of effort into your business already and you said that you are making a living (you've already gotten over a dozen hurdles!).

If you haven't read MJ's book, you definitely should - before you completely abandon the idea of growing and expanding your current business. Just my two cents :) And in the spirit of full disclosure, I am not a millionaire (yet) either.

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
There are a ton companies that make a ton of $$$ in the healthcare industry. Are you sure that you've thoroughly analyzed your business to see if there is some way that you can make your existing company Fastlane? While I know that it is definitely a pain to deal with people, you have definitely put a lot of effort into your business already and you said that you are making a living (you've already gotten over a dozen hurdles!).

If you haven't read MJ's book, you definitely should - before you completely abandon the idea of growing and expanding your current business. Just my two cents :) And in the spirit of full disclosure, I am not a millionaire (yet) either.

Ntapia. Thanks a million, and yes I have MJs book I keep it with me to inspire me. I kid him in his forum that he is the Yoda of success. But you are correct healthcare is a booming industry. And my company has 2 offices in 2 separate cities covering a total of 16 counties. But as MJ mentioned in his book about Human Resource systems, humans are unpredictable and there is high turnover and very few loyalties in this business. My business has great potential being that the population that I serve (elderly and disabled) is the largest segment of the population from what I read. But ...and there is a but , this can be a very closed minded industry where relationships for referrels can take years to build because case managers (the gate keepers of referrals) are creatures of habit. They follow the path of least resistance and go with the company they know. Now I have recognized a few needs based on the troubles I have run across being that this industry is way behind the technology curve. Hospitals and social workers love being part of organizations and getting web based information and trainings that keep them informed. One of my ideas was to create a site/organization free membership of course specifically covering topics social workers and case managers would find interesting and enlightening. I would offer businesses such as mine (and there are many) opportunities to advertise locally on a site where thousands of case managers visit monthly.
So on and so forth but...just trying to take the old lemons and make lemonade but i do know what catches their interest. just an idea.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
trying to take the old lemons and make lemonade

I love the idea of using what you know... especially since you've spotted a definite need in a market that is lucrative. Good luck on located the right opportunity for you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...