The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why Does Anyone?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
I know! They have the majority but in every speed test I've seen lately (and I've seen a LOT from different companies), they are dead LAST. Not by a little, but by a TON.

Google plans on working with OEM PCs to release chrome with them instead of IE. Ok, it's still not firefox but they are head to head in terms of speed.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Thankfully it's not compatible at on my mac anyways :smxB:

but at work it's IE6 and I believe most large companies are standarized on it through IT Policy which is also what makes it so appealing to these hackers. Now if enterpise co's/gov't agencies were using Firefox, Chrome, Opera, etc then they would probably have the same issues :nonod:

Just another reason to be an entrepreneur and have your OWN "IT Policy" :coolgleamA:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AlwaysCurious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jan 16, 2008
GMT +1
I finally "convinced" my wife to switch to Firefox by simply deleting her favorites in IE and migrating them to FF :D
Just at work every little self written application thingy like absence requests and the Intranet rely on IE6. And we are supposed to be leader of the IT pack. FF is forbidden for security reasons, mainly because of the lack of a zone concept, no kidding...

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
took me awhile, but about 3 months ago I finally became a convert. Only use IE for Netflix instant watching now. Netflix needs to get with the program and enable firefox.

marktech101

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Oct 11, 2008
Durham, NC
Well, I'd guess that people use IE because it comes with windows, and the vast majority of computers today come with Windows preinstalled. Since this is a business forum, I guess I could bring up Microsoft's monopoly...

I guess people just don't know better.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
^correct. Many people don't even know there are options. These are the same people who don't even know about tabbed browsing. LOLz.

Analytics reveals that the majority of visitors to some of my sites use Firefox. Anyone want to help me interpret that little bit of data? Are they therefore a younger crowd? Early adopters?

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
I don't know much about computers, I just know if I click on the interweb icon it works. I also have Vista which people hate, but has been damn near flawless for me. As long as it works I don't give a damn.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
People only hate Vista, because it's new. Did you see the fallout when Facebook improved its user interface? People flipped the f___ out, because someone moved their cheese.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
My work uses Internet explorer because they are on to me. Crashes at least 3-4 times a day, cuts my surfing in half, and increases my overall productivity.

People only hate Vista, because it's new. Did you see the fallout when Facebook improved its user interface? People flipped the f___ out, because someone moved their cheese.

Great Book btw.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
No other browser works on my laptop. I used to use Firefox, but then I had to reformat my hard drive. After a while, I realized I should re-install Firefox, but when I did, it wouldn't work. It crashes anytime I try to open it (usually after a few seconds). Same thing happens with Chrome.

...only a few more months 'til a Macbook!

Extra

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 9, 2007
Nor/So California
Not only that but I love firefox for its applications you can add-on yourself, and even try experimental ones if you feel like it..

Best. Browser. Ever.

Inphinity

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 20, 2007
Auckland, NZ
Personally I prefer Chrome to any of the others, especially it's now non-beta release. As to why people still use IE? As has been said, people who don't know better, it's there, they just think IE = The Internet. The Internet is run by Microsoft right?! Plus, far too many "web developers" have over the years used non-standard development methods and such that don't work properly in a lot of other browsers (and don't even work in IE8 unless you launch an IE7-compatibility-mode window!).

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
took me awhile, but about 3 months ago I finally became a convert. Only use IE for Netflix instant watching now. Netflix needs to get with the program and enable firefox.

Agreed.

Also, today, I've found that hulu works a little better in IE. It's frustrating that when FF is the better browser over all, but you still need IE for a few compatibility issues.....

BTW, Chrome is pretty hot too.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
well, the reason is, they made it popular for developers to use their proprietary technology (meaning, it only runs on IE). do you guys have any idea of how much money is needed to rework an app to fit other browsers AFTER it has been deployed? (hint: more than what you are thinking). Companies are forced to suck it up and wait until they MUST rework the app to change it.

it is a great formula:

give it away, so you kill the competency
once you own the market, keep making it a MUST to use your technology/product
let it roll. Change is expensive. and painful.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.