The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why am I on this earth?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
I don't know whether i'm having a mid life crisis at 38 or i'm simply not moving forward because of negativity and doubts.

I realised not so long ago that there was something missing from my life, I've got a wife and two kids and no health problems. I work out. I've had my current business since i left school at 18.
When most people are watching TV i'd rather be working.

A couple of years ago Amazon suspended my account and i lost 50% revenue for two weeks until it was re-instated. I still sell on Amazon today. (commodity products). I'm not building a brand. I'm simply moving electrical commodity items. At some point Amazon can and probably will suspend my account again. It may be partly due to that but i feel what's missing in my Life is the need to create something that's bigger than me. I've started selling some other un-related products in the RV sector on Amazon but they are of little interest to me and to be honest i'm not exactly sure what they are or how they're used. They sell here and there but it's not something i want to build a brand around.

I want to create a company that lasts 100 years. I want to see people experiencing the value of something i've created. It has my brand on it. When most slow laners are watching TV at night or stuck in traffic going to same job day in day out i want to be working on my creation. Not something that Amazon has all the control over.

The main issue is that i don't know what it should be.

Every time i think i've found it, i spend weeks looking at reasons why i shouldn't do it. I look at competitors far ahead of me, i look at what they've gone through to get there with their intriguing stories of how their company started and realise i don't have that, they're product is better and then i move onto something else.

I've read countless websites on how to find your calling, or your passion in business. Write down your strengths, weaknesses. What i like what i don't like etc. The fact is after 20 years of buying commodity products from China and selling on Ebay and amazon thats all i know. I know i like passive income, travelling and working when i want.

I see these people quitting their jobs because they're selling x amount on Amazon and i feel like screaming at them, Amazon can take down their whole business in a second.

I have even gone as far as registering a trademark, domain and had samples of a product. Then it felt like i'm just copying someone else who's doing the same thing so i've stopped after the sample stage.

I'll give you another example. I've spent the last week finding factories in Far East who can make flip flops. I love travel, i love hot countries, and i love the thought of selling millions of flip flops around the world with my brand on. I would gladly spend my time building this business up for as long as it takes.

Then i've talked myself out of it. I could never compete with Havaianas, i've never designed anything in my life, i know nothing about flip flops. No company will buy them from me. I can only afford to buy 4000pcs. I don't have a compelling back story.

And then i move onto the next idea. At the moment i literally spend every waking hour thinking about it. Feel like my brain is going to explode.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Wiezel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 15, 2018
The Netherlands
I don't know whether i'm having a mid life crisis at 38 or i'm simply not moving forward because of negativity and doubts.

I realised not so long ago that there was something missing from my life, I've got a wife and two kids and no health problems. I work out. I've had my current business since i left school at 18.

A couple of years ago Amazon suspended my account and i lost 50% revenue for two weeks until it was re-instated. I still sell on Amazon today. (commodity products). I'm not building a brand. I'm simply moving electrical commodity items. At some point Amazon can and probably will suspend my account again. It may be partly due to that but i feel what's missing in my Life is the need to create something that's bigger than me. I've started selling some other un-related products in the RV sector on Amazon but they are of little interest to me and to be honest i'm not exactly sure what they are or how they're used. They sell here and there but it's not something i want to build a brand around.

I want to create a company that lasts 100 years. I want to see people experiencing the value of something i've created. It has my brand on it. When most slow laners are watching TV at night or stuck in traffic going to same job day in day out i want to be working on my creation. Not something that Amazon has all the control over.

Every time i think i've found it, i spend weeks looking at reasons why i shouldn't do it. I look at competitors far ahead of me, i look at what they've gone through to get there with their intriguing stories of how their company started and realise i don't have that, they're product is better and then i move onto something else.

I've read countless websites on how to find your calling, or your passion in business. Write down your strengths, weaknesses. What i like what i don't like etc. The fact is after 20 years of buying commodity products from China and selling on Ebay and amazon thats all i know. I know i like passive income, travelling and working when i want.

I see these people quitting their jobs because they're selling x amount on Amazon and i feel like screaming at them, Amazon can take down their whole business in a second.

I have even gone as far as registering a trademark, domain and had samples of a product. Then it felt like i'm just copying someone else who's doing the same thing so i've stopped after the sample stage.

I'll give you another example. I've spent the last week finding factories in Far East who can make flip flops. I love travel, i love hot countries, and i love the thought of selling millions of flip flops around the world with my brand on. I would gladly spend my time building this business up for as long as it takes.

Then i've talked myself out of it. I could never compete with Havaianas, i've never designed anything in my life, i know nothing about flip flops. No company will buy them from me. I can only afford to buy 4000pcs. I don't have a compelling back story.

And then i move onto the next idea. At the moment i literally spend every waking hour thinking about it. Feel like my brain is going to explode.

I highlighted 2 sentences in red, start building your brand.
If you know they can suspend you again, why not do something about it or do something else which gives you a guarantee of income.

Did you read TMF and Unscripted ?

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
I highlighted 2 sentences in red, start building your brand.
If you know they can suspend you again, why not do something about it or do something else which gives you a guarantee of income.

Did you read TMF and Unscripted ?

The current products I sell is difficult to build a brand around. Don’t get me wrong they are branded but you couldn’t build loyal repeat customers. I know I want an online business and build a brand leveraging all sales channels but I don’t know what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

Why couldn't you compete? Have you read the story of Nike? Adidas were THE brand. Nike were nothing. They never made any money for years and years and years. That business was built on passion and passion alone.

I've never owned a pair of Havaianas but they don't look anything special to me.

• I know nothing about flip flops.
  • No company will buy them from me.
  • I can only afford to buy 4000pcs.
  • I don't have a compelling back story
All this is just negative reinforcement.

1. I know nothing about flip flops. - Research Them
  2. No company will buy them from me. - How do you know?
  3. I can only afford to buy 4000pcs. - Why do you need 4000 pairs to start a business?
  4. I don't have a compelling back story - You haven't started yet so the story hasn't begun

You currently make a living off selling on Amazon?

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

Not to make light of your experience, but this sounds like analysis paralysis. Stuck in your head and taking no action. My guess is, most of the companies you researched faced all of the same problems and challenges you'll face regardless of the industry or your story or approach. The difference is they did something about it.

There are 7.5 billion people on Earth. There's a good chance they're not all shopping with competitors. They don't all like the service or products they get now. There are niches that aren't being fully utilized or served in the ways they want to be served.

Really it doesn't matter what product you sell or what business you start. They're all a risk. Some are more risky, some are less. To me the biggest risk has always been not doing anything at all out of fear of what may or may not happen. You can't change the world by doing nothing. It seems like you already know that though.

On the INSIDERS area I've got a progress thread about my candle business. Probably the most saturated industry on the planet. Here's some problems I've run into:

- No candle making supplies - I bought some.
- No candle making experience - I watched YouTube videos, made candles, and got some.
- No unique personal backstory - I crafted a tale that doesn't involve me at all.
- Competition everywhere - Who cares, I'm focused only on my customer experience.
- Candles can be bought for nothing - So I've priced mine 20X retail store average.
- Every fragrance is available - I only offer one public fragrance.

I won't launch until January of next year. Who knows if anyone will buy. The only thing I know for sure is I'm 1,000 steps ahead of the guy still thinking about all the reasons it won't work. If I don't get a customer immediately, I'll change something. Price. Fragrance. Outreach. Targeting...and I'll keep doing that until I make one sale, and then two, and then ten, and then 10,000.

Soon I'll be a candle brand known around the world, not because I have the lowest price or the best candles. Not because I have the most interesting story. But because I'm the guy who stepped up and made it happen. Picked a destination, started walking, and found detours whenever something blocked my path.

Forget your calling. Your passion is business. Pick a product and set your mind on how to make it work instead of finding reasons it won't. That's it.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Why couldn't you compete? Have you read the story of Nike? Adidas were THE brand. Nike were nothing. They never made any money for years and years and years. That business was built on passion and passion alone.

I've never owned a pair of Havaianas but they don't look anything special to me.

• I know nothing about flip flops.
  • No company will buy them from me.
  • I can only afford to buy 4000pcs.
  • I don't have a compelling back story
All this is just negative reinforcement.

1. I know nothing about flip flops. - Research Them
  2. No company will buy them from me. - How do you know?
  3. I can only afford to buy 4000pcs. - Why do you need 4000 pairs to start a business?
  4. I don't have a compelling back story - You haven't started yet so the story hasn't begun

You currently make a living off selling on Amazon?

Yes i've read the Nike book twice. Very inspiring story and it he certainly went through a lot and even said at the end he would do it again!

Yes i make a living selling off Ebay and Amazon.

Completely agree with the negative reinforcement.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Not to make light of your experience, but this sounds like analysis paralysis. Stuck in your head and taking no action. My guess is, most of the companies you researched faced all of the same problems and challenges you'll face regardless of the industry or your story or approach. The difference is they did something about it.

There are 7.5 billion people on Earth. There's a good chance they're not all shopping with competitors. They don't all like the service or products they get now. There are niches that aren't being fully utilized or served in the ways they want to be served.

Really it doesn't matter what product you sell or what business you start. They're all a risk. Some are more risky, some are less. To me the biggest risk has always been not doing anything at all out of fear of what may or may not happen. You can't change the world by doing nothing. It seems like you already know that though.

On the INSIDERS area I've got a progress thread about my candle business. Probably the most saturated industry on the planet. Here's some problems I've run into:

- No candle making supplies - I bought some.
- No candle making experience - I watched YouTube videos, made candles, and got some.
- No unique personal backstory - I crafted a tale that doesn't involve me at all.
- Competition everywhere - Who cares, I'm focused only on my customer experience.
- Candles can be bought for nothing - So I've priced mine 20X retail store average.
- Every fragrance is available - I only offer one public fragrance.

I won't launch until January of next year. Who knows if anyone will buy. The only thing I know for sure is I'm 1,000 steps ahead of the guy still thinking about all the reasons it won't work. If I don't get a customer immediately, I'll change something. Price. Fragrance. Outreach. Targeting...and I'll keep doing that until I make one sale, and then two, and then ten, and then 10,000.

Soon I'll be a candle brand known around the world, not because I have the lowest price or the best candles. Not because I have the most interesting story. But because I'm the guy who stepped up and made it happen. Picked a destination, started walking, and found detours whenever something blocked my path.

Forget your calling. Your passion is business. Pick a product and set your mind on how to make it work instead of finding reasons it won't. That's it.

Thanks for your reply. I completely agree with what you're saying. And everything i've read says the same thing online. I have good days and bad days. And i'm definitely reading too much into it.

It always seems to follow the same pattern, if i'm not confident in myself how can i expect customers/retailers to have confident in my products.

Regardless of which route i go this thought process needs to be overcome. For good.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Regardless of which route i go this thought process needs to be overcome. For good.

You will never be able to banish it for good. What you can do is find a way to go around it when it materialises. When it pops into your head recognise it for what it is (limiting beliefs, negative thinking, self doubt, fear of failure, low self esteem etc.).

So make a commitment to see your new business through. Then just get on with the process. When the self doubts happen acknowledge them, accept them. Say to yourself 'there goes the self doubts again'. Then ignore them and carry on with the process. Make the commitment ONCE. Then the process is all that matters.

In time you will learn to quickly push the doubts to the back of your mind and ignore them when they materialise. It's just your brain panicking as it is out of its comfort zone.

-

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England

How are you creating value to the customer to justify offering a premium price?
Do "designer" companies just start offering premium prices for their products from the outset?

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
How are you creating value to the customer to justify offering a premium price?
Do "designer" companies just start offering premium prices for their products from the outset?

Some companies do that. I have a somewhat different approach. It's detailed in the INSIDERS forums.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I've read countless websites on how to find your calling, or your passion in business. Write down your strengths, weaknesses. What i like what i don't like etc.

Let's see the list.

Feel like my brain is going to explode.

Good thing it won't!

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Let's see the list.

The list of my strengths and weaknesses? This was a difficult process.

Strengths:
1) Determination
2) Enthusiasm
3) Hard Working
4) Ambitious

Weaknesses
1) Lately it's been my mindset (confidence etc but it wasn't always like that)
2) Always been a follower never a leader (I've tried to emulate what other companies are doing instead being unique) ie copying products.
3. Indecisive

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
So

Is your title why am I on this earth just to get some attention?If I missed something please point it out, maybe I'm tired. Also there was no mention in the post about why you are on this earth. Your kids can answer that one. I really don't want to be a canute but your question doesn't match the post. However probably misread your intention.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
So

Is your title why am I on this earth just to get some attention?If I missed something please point it out, maybe I'm tired. Also there was no mention in the post about why you are on this earth. Your kids can answer that one. I really don't want to be a canute but your question doesn't match the post. However probably misread your intention.

It has everything to do with the post. There's not a mention as to why i'm on this earth or what i'm supposed to be doing as i don't know. As stated i have two kids and wife however i do feel like there always has been something missing. I see other people content with their lives but i've always wanted more, something else.

Unless you carry that around with you all the time, it's something that's difficult to understand i'd imagine. I guess it's something i've got to look inside myself for and work out.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Having researched a couple more ideas that i thought would be something i'd love to do business wise, it turns out i'd like the 'idea' of doing them rather than the actual work involved. They certainly require a 'creative' person and i'm not creative.

For now i'm going to forget all about finding this 'calling' or business that i want to devote my time to as i'm going around in circles. I'm going to put as much as i can into my current full time business which over the last 10 years i've earned the most from - Amazon FBA. To be honest this 'job' ticks almost every single box i'm looking for - passive, 24 hour sales, work from anywhere, travel, freedom. The two thing's it doesn't tick is the 'control' box and the fact i'm not building something that's mine (linked to control). I guess i'm just going to have to live with that for the time being. I'll diversify between Amazon sites as much as i can to negate the control issue.

I'm a member of a number of Amazon FBA related groups and never attended any of the seminars or China trips on offer. It's time to put myself out there in this circle. By 'networking' or visiting China i'm hopeful other opportunities will reveal themselves.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
main-qimg-4a4488c4e08efab303543abedd74cf1a

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
The list of my strengths and weaknesses? This was a difficult process.

My friend, I'm a coach. I coach people. In doing that I tell people what they need to hear, not what they want to hear. So if you're not into that please read no further.

Countless websites? 20 years of knowing this stuff and the best list you've put together of things you like is passive income, traveling... and working... when you feel like it.

That tells me you didn't REALLY put in the work. You've thought about it, sure. But in your business you put a lot of demands on yourself in order to grow the business, yes? Those demands created the success you now enjoy. However, it's clear you haven't put the same demands on yourself in this area.

We need to FORCE answers out of ourselves. If you don't get a good answer the first time, you need to ask again, and again, and with more passion, and with more energy, UNTIL you get the answer.

Your life's purpose doesn't just jump out from behind a rock and say "ha HA! *I* am your life's purpose!"

You DECIDE what it is.

However -- you're never going to get the right answer in this emotional state.

When you feel down, depressed, frustrated, irritated -- you're never going to get answers like how to build something that'll outlast you and serve for generations to come.

You're never going to get answers that say "this would make me fulfilled" You're never going to get answers that will make you excited to leap out of bed every single day excited to go make things happen.

So before anything -- you must learn how to put yourself in a more empowering emotional state. That might be passion, excitement, energy -- hell, it might even be ANGER that drives you. Where you get to the point where you're sick and tired of being sick and tired. And you say "I've HAD it! You know what I'm going to do!? I'm going to do THIS and THIS and THAT and from there I'll go do THIS!"

Rants are some of most impactful things to our lives because there's passion behind it... and through that passion you say things that you don't normally say... some veeeerrrryy interesting things come out when I ask people what they want in THAT zone.

Strengths:
1) Determination
2) Enthusiasm
3) Hard Working
4) Ambitious

Build your business you sure as hell have a longer list than this. This is bullshit. And I know I'm not being fair because I just asked you to respond quickly to a little forum post... but if there's anything I know it's that how you do anything is how you do everything.

Once you're in a better emotional state (throw on some music, dance around, do whatever it takes to shake you out of this. Do NOT do this sitting down!) you can answer these questions:

What do you love?
What do you hate?
What are you passionate about?
What are you proud of?
What are you excited for in your life?
Who are the people around you MOST affected by your success or failure?
What are you willing to do for those people?
If you knew you couldn't fail what would you do?!

Weaknesses
1) Lately it's been my mindset (confidence etc but it wasn't always like that)
2) Always been a follower never a leader (I've tried to emulate what other companies are doing instead being unique) ie copying products.

These are B.S. (belief systems).

You can't be in business and not be a leader. It doesn't work. Not long term anyways. It's too easy to generalize and say "I'm a follower" -- really? ALWAYS? Or have there been times where you were the leader? Are there times you took the risk when no one else would? Are there times when you made it happen when no one else could?

Of course.

Also, it's too easy to use softeners. Again -- it's not fair for me to respond like this because you didn't give a detailed response, you gave me the broad strokes.

BUT... mindset... confidence, etc. ... well is it just confidence? What else is holding you back right now? Is it procrastination? Is it fear? Is it rejection? Is it support? Or lack of? What is it really? Name your tigers, look them in the eyes, and face them.

3. Indecisive

There's an old book you've probably read "Think and Grow Rich".

After interviewing the top business people on the planet and studying them... Napoleon Hill found there was only one thing that determined success or failure:

Decision making ability.

The thing that caused failure 100% of the time?

Indecisiveness.

Lenin G.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 28, 2016

Hey buddy, I can relate to your story because I sell on Amazon myself. Last month I sold one of my stores for a good chuck of cash, I have 2 more stores that are making money as well and plan to sell one of them next year, and also put some money in and open other stores and grow them so I can sell them too.

I don't see Amazon as a long-term business for the reason you already mentioned, you're not in control, but it doesn't mean that you can't make money with it with the model I call "grow, profit, exit". You start the business, make it profitable, enjoy part of the profits, and then sell it to an investor.

Why don't you try that and take that money to fund your dream business?

Now, you said that you already wrote your goals, so you're halfway through. Next time a new idea comes up check if it fits in your plan. If the answer is "I don't know" then maybe your goals are not very specific, and you'll have to specify them.

For example, if your goal is "Be financially free", that's too broad, you need to say how and when. For example, I want to own 5 million dollars worth of profitable real estate that yields a net return of 10% per year by 2021"

Then the next question is "how?"... I have two options, either learn about real estate and how to find deals and investors to fund the deals, or I can work smarter in my business to make more money, find deals and fund them myself, or a mix of both.

Hope that helps.

Lenin

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!