The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

wholesaling pricing vs retail - how much to expect?

mavwrx

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Oct 4, 2010
I was thinking of getting a reseller license to purchase office products and resell to businesses with a website.

How much savings can I expect on wholesale pricing? Is it substantial?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
well, a pretty broad question.

I wrote an extensive response to discount vs. margin in another thread, can't find it though.

--
Depending on a NUMBER of factors, most retailers expect at margin of 45-50% to justify their purchase of stock.

So, if they buy it for $50, they like to resell it for $100.

--
The discount you get from a manufacturer might depend on volume, total sales, pre-order, blah blah blah.

So, our business pre-orders stuff in the winter. We get a 50% discount off of list, plus some additional points (or free freight, or longer terms, whatever).

We usually won't buy if the discount is less than 45%.

--
Now, Discount does NOT equal margin. We shoot for a gross margin of 40% on our goods, but usually don't quite get there.

I have no insight into office products in particular, but I bet pricing is volume driven and rather cut-throat.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
If an individual is great at selling, retail is an awesome business. If an individual is poor at sales, a discount advantage won't help much.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.