The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Who here logs their days in a journal?

Anything related to matters of the mind

LimitLessJG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jul 2, 2013
New Jersey
Just out of curiosity...who here has a journal and logs their days in it?

Like what they did that day, their current goals, business idea, what they could do to improve the next day, anything they learned, etc?

And do you feel it benefits you guys, and if so, how?

Been thinking about doing this as I've been a little unmotivated for quite some time now and feel maybe this will help push me in the right direction to see what I'm doing wrong or what I can improve on. My days are just on repeat playing the same thing over and over...it's really depressing to be honest...not trying to sound "emo"...so I apologize if that's how it sounds..just some feedback on different approaches..

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Fastlaners :)

- JG

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
I used to, now I just RescueTime to keep track of my productivity. Too much shit to write down to be honest, when I can just brief myself by looking over my phone, email, or RescueTime logs. Works well for me.

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
I don't do it everyday but I use penzu.com to keep track of my progress. Which I only started doing about a month ago so I can't really say how effective it is yet.

LimitLessJG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jul 2, 2013
New Jersey
I used to, now I just RescueTime to keep track of my productivity. Too much shit to write down to be honest, when I can just brief myself by looking over my phone, email, or RescueTime logs. Works well for me.

Thank you for your feedback. I'll have to check that app out. Idk why, but if I write stuff down I feel more productive. Maybe it's just me..

NVaz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 24, 2013
Lisbon, Portugal
I use Evernote, but i don't write too many details, just something that worth to be saved, reminded or any other major event. RescueTime is awesome for tracking online activity.

mentalic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Nov 26, 2012
I have two types of journal/logs:
One that I update daily with stuff that needs to be done, and stuff that was done and one that I record my wealth progress. The second, I update on a weekly basis, mostly after a 'major' event. I always support keeping journals. You 'dump' what is in your brain in a piece of paper and you have more 'space' to think.

Also by keeping my goals/tasks in a journal, I feel a lot more commited.

LimitLessJG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jul 2, 2013
New Jersey
I have two types of journal/logs:
One that I update daily with stuff that needs to be done, and stuff that was done and one that I record my wealth progress. The second, I update on a weekly basis, mostly after a 'major' event. I always support keeping journals. You 'dump' what is in your brain in a piece of paper and you have more 'space' to think.

Also by keeping my goals/tasks in a journal, I feel a lot more commited.

Thank you for this, I'm definitely going to try doing this and track my progress to see how it goes. Do you feel that keeping these two types of journals help you with your goals as well as keep you motivated?

mentalic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Nov 26, 2012
Yes. I would suggest that to anybody. Keeping a journal of your progress is suggested by many personal development gurus.

joocenasty

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Oct 30, 2013
I have a journal, My journal helps me finish up my days and also helps me to relax and release my thoughts onto something tangible. It may not be very coherent but I do just write what comes to mind. Its really a soothing tool and I love to see the progress that I make in my life, as well as my thought process.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I just got the vjournal app and enjoy being able to quickly jot anything I want to remember and having it automatically catalog the thoughts in Evernote.

-L-

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Nov 26, 2012
Brussels, Belgium
I keep track of my ideas, mood and mindset related to my business in DayOne. A must-have app if you are in the Mac/iPhone environment. Seamless sync via DropBox or iCloud together with a great user interface.

On the side, I also keep a list of all the belgian beers I ever drank (with photos and thoughts). :)

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
My daily journals helps me:
. distance myself emotionally from shit that happened on a day
. look back months or years and notice that all kinds of shit is resolved
. notice that certain things keep coming back and need structural repair
. congratulate myself with working through my daily to do list
. make notes of important stuff that i need to remember later and put on the to-do list.

Besides this I keep track of my wealth daily in a spreadsheet.

Somehow I prefer putting my daily tasks on paper, while working the journal in a Word document.

Last edited:

FutureWorldDominator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Dec 4, 2013
Brooklyn,NY
I always write down daily task and goals...there are some crazy studies out there about what happens with people who write down daily task and monthly goals... to keep it simple people who write out what they do and future goals have a like 90% more chance of actually completing the activities or goals

LimitLessJG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jul 2, 2013
New Jersey
I have a journal, My journal helps me finish up my days and also helps me to relax and release my thoughts onto something tangible. It may not be very coherent but I do just write what comes to mind. Its really a soothing tool and I love to see the progress that I make in my life, as well as my thought process.

I have noticed this too. Since I started keeping a journal last week, it's helped me to stay on track and focused. In the morning when I wake up I'll write some of my goals for the day, and revisit them at night. It's been helping me make progress little by little.

LimitLessJG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jul 2, 2013
New Jersey
I always write down daily task and goals...there are some crazy studies out there about what happens with people who write down daily task and monthly goals... to keep it simple people who write out what they do and future goals have a like 90% more chance of actually completing the activities or goals

I just feel you are more real to yourself when you actually write down these goals, you're more prone to getting them done and keeping them in the back of your head. Idk, it's just something to me about writing things out on paper as opposed to an iPhone, that really instills them in your mind to complete and not put aside.

LimitLessJG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jul 2, 2013
New Jersey
I just got the vjournal app and enjoy being able to quickly jot anything I want to remember and having it automatically catalog the thoughts in Evernote.

This would be useful to have when on the go, as I constantly have new ideas/thoughts every 5 seconds...lol.

avita

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 15, 2013
I've kept a journal for most of 2013 (good old pen and paper). And I have to say that it is one of the things that have gotten me to this point. It's a great tool to keep yourself accountable. It helps to motivate you during slumps and bring you down to Earth when you may be getting a bit too optimistic. But most importantly, it's a textbook of the most important subject in the world - yourself. I study my journal so I don't have to rely on my memory (which tends to function anectdotally based on the last pertinent piece of data) and that helps pinpoint problem areas and opportunities faster. It's like a record of your vitals that they don't and can't do at a hospital.

claytonww

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 22, 2013
I keep a journal on 750words.com. I use it as a brain dump. For me, it's mostly helpful when I get too in my head. Writing my thoughts down forces me to slow my thinking down and figure out whatever problem there is to tackle. 99% of the time I can come up with a solution by just free writing it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.