The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Where do you invest your money?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

Rain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 5, 2011
For everyone who believes in making their money work for them, what are your favorite investment vehicles?

Some examples:

- recycled back into own business
- other private business
- online savings accounts and/or CDs (hopefully not)
- IRA and/or 401(k)
- stocks (independent)
- bonds
- Forex
- real estate
- life settlements
- tax liens and/or deeds

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I don't believe in *investing* in a favorite area because the areas change based on economics, supply, demand, and markets. I invest where a favorable return is likely to be and that changes often. Years ago my answer might have been REITS, or Treasuries, or Canadian Royalty Trusts. Today it could be big cap dividend companies. You see, the best investment for a particular time always changes with market conditions. I prefer to know them all and move cash accordingly.

I've been talking about the Australian dollar now for almost 2 years. In anyone hasn't followed it, it has appreciated > 40% since I started talking about it, not to mention it's 3.5% yield. (Any money markets pay 3.5%?)

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Cash flowing rental property, a mix of stocks with zero or low debt + high INSIDERS ownership (Thanks Rickson), and me :) (In the form of education, and technical training to increase job income).

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
Physical Gold and Physical Silver.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
I don't believe in *investing* in a favorite area because the areas change based on economics, supply, demand, and markets. I invest where a favorable return is likely to be and that changes often. Years ago my answer might have been REITS, or Treasuries, or Canadian Royalty Trusts. Today it could be big cap dividend companies. You see, the best investment for a particular time always changes with market conditions. I prefer to know them all and move cash accordingly.

I've been talking about the Australian dollar now for almost 2 years. In anyone hasn't followed it, it has appreciated > 40% since I started talking about it, not to mention it's 3.5% yield. (Any money markets pay 3.5%?)

Speaking for myself, even though this is true, I am only good at investing in stocks and real estate. And even in these broad definitions, I am only good at a very specific niche in each category.

There may be better returns in the bond, commodity, options, currency, etc. markets, but I do not have the ability/personality/temperament to take advantage of it and as such, it would not be an opportunity (for me).

heidiswan

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 15, 2011
I used to work for a gold jewelry importer years ago. Gold was $250 and silver was $4 an ounce......If I had only bought at that time (for long term hold) :)

easymoney99

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Aug 3, 2011
So far only back into more marketing and more production of internet stuffs (posts, videos, backlinks, site improvements, streamlining)

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
bump, as an example of where to invest your money.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
In general, RE is great to "park" your money.

But it is not liquid, so keep that in mind.

I have made the mistake of having too much capital tied in properties, and liquidating them and have cash ready has proven extremely difficult/expensive.

In my plan, RE (apartment buildings, in particular) is the investment vehicle to park my money. Other vehicles will be needed for liquidity. I do recognize I don't know enough about that yet, but reading MJ's posts about how he does it has been really good for me to learn a little bit.

damien275x

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 18, 2011

Good one.

I am in Australia and thoroughly taking advantage of my increased purchacing power, this includes locking it away in other foreign currencies and bullion. Markets move in cycles. I do not expect that just because it is worth more today that it will be worth even more tomorrow - In fact, I expect the trend to reverse at some point, as it always does.

The worst quote I hear when it comes to investing is "Time in the market", not "Timing" - What absoulte F*cking garbage. Timing is everything, markets move in cycles, and if you think for yourself and open your eyes you can ususally forecast long term trends with better accuracy than most fund managers. PS - they only tell you it's time in the market so they get consistent comissions. Anybody who hands over their life savings to somebody who doesn't have their best interests at heart deserves to lose.

Take Real estate for example - in the USA, it's absoultley crashed. It is probably a better time to get into the real estaet game now than it was in 2007 when all the sheep were lining up and signing on the dotted line.

In Australia - the sheep have only just stopped buying, homes are still insanely over valued - >$500,000 for crap boxes, and they're starting to collapse now. So in 2016/17 buying a home will be 5-7 times a better investment than in 2011/12!!! Timing is KEY

cants

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Nov 10, 2011

Hi Mj, any URL where I can read more on how to invest in Australian dollars? I'd like to try it in a small scale instead of all my money just parked in the bank... Would appreciate your help.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 25, 2012
Norfolk UK
Hi there

As my primary career is financial planning I feel qualified to comment upon your post. The 1st thing to say is that you must establish your tolerance to risk. Failure to do this will mean that you are likely to make a costly emotional decision (typically buying at the top of the market and selling when it seems that it cannot get any worse) and there is a report that concludes that the average investor in the USA over the last 20 years received a return 6.5% per annum less than had they simply bought and held the investment rather than trying to time the market.

The 2nd thing to say is that there is a huge difference between speculation and investment. Speculation is a bit like gambling when you are trying to guess what is going to be hottest in the future. Investment is all about getting the best returns consistent with your attitude and tolerance to risk. In this respect the 1st big decision that you need to make is what percentage of your portfolio should be in fixed interest investments and what should be in equities.

When that decision has been made both your fixed interest portion of the portfolio and your equity portion of portfolio should be split into domestic and overseas markets.

There is nothing wrong with speculating providing you are prepared to either lose your money or recognise that it might be a long time before you recover your initial investment and for those clients of mine who want to speculate we will just set aside say 10% of their portfolio and they can do what they want with it.

A few years ago I had lunch with a CPA and he had said that he had split his pension portfolio into 2 equal halves. One half was managed by a professional pensions manager and he managed the other half and he simply said "I am not far behind..................!

Good luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.