• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Where do I buy designer clothes surplus stocks?

Discussion in 'Product Creation, Inventing, Importing, Sourcing' started by Arnie, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Arnie

Arnie New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $12
    Ahoy Fastlaners!

Do any of you guys know where I can find designer clothes surplus stocks, like from older collections, should I contact the companies directly or would that be a long shot?
    When I say designer clothes I mean brands like Hugo Boss, Lacoste, Ralph Lauren, Armani and so on.

Hope someone can help me out on this one :)
    Best regards,
    Arnie

2. Telamon25346

Telamon25346 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $636
    by surplus do you mean something similar to clearance? designer clothes usually are very limited in order to justify the expensive prices, so I doubt they'd have a surplus or too much. but there are some that don't sell well. I know that you can buy some cheap(er) designer clothes on sites like these:

https://www.barneyswarehouse.com/category/clearance
    Clearance Sale | BLUEFLY
    designer clearance

not sure if it's what you're looking for but it's where i would start

3. Arnie

Arnie New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $12
    My idea kinda came from finding a website that only sold 50%+ off designer clothes, they don't sell full price at all. So I was wondering where they get the clothes so cheap, since it doesn't seem like they are having a clearance sale, as the clothes have never been full price on the site.

So I was wondering where they got the older collections, at so affordable prices, from - designer companies themselves or elsewhere.

4. PersistentlyHungry

PersistentlyHungry Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $608
    Might it be possible that it only seems as if they are cheaper? Perhaps the full price is set when calculating VAT or shipping costs?
    Maybe these are knockoffs?

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

5. Arnie

Arnie New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $12
    I just read their website that they buy 1-2 year old lots of goods from their "partners", and therefore gets a a favorable price.
    Not sure if it's from the designer company directly or from other retail stores - wouldn't make much sense for another retail store to wholesale instead of selling cheaper themselves, I guess.

PersistentlyHungry likes this.
  6. Argue

Argue Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $15,705
    Hey, not sure if this is what you’re looking for but I found this:

About | Joor

7. Charnell

Charnell Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,027
    What you want to be looking for is "deadstock."

MustImprove and Arnie like this.
  8. Arnie

Arnie New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $12
    That's the right word!
    So should I contact e.g. Ralph Lauren and ask for deadstocks or who should I contact?

9. Charnell

Charnell Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,027
    Shit, idk. Call up their corporate office and see what they say.

10. Stargazer

Stargazer Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,423
    Arnie likes this.
  11. Walter Hay

Walter Hay Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $68,917
    My guess is that they are selling fakes. Do they provide a street address? In what country is the website hosted? Is it a country that strictly enforces IP rights?

I have seen countless sites selling big name products at heavily discounted prices. In every case they are illegally selling counterfeits. There are thousands of these sites. Recently I have found that many are located in Russia because of the huge success of a Russian selling a course on dropshipping.

He openly boasts about his immunity from prosecution or litigation by the brand owner. He operates his own illegal business selling products using stolen IP, and to sell his course he points people to it to show how much he is making.

Be very cautious. His followers will probably actually supply the goods that are ordered by people who don't care about the legalities, but a large number of sites offering brand names at bargain prices just take your money and never send anything.

NOTE. Such scammers and criminals stealing IP from successful brands operate in other countries, not only Russia.

Walter

Charnell likes this.
  12. Boo

Boo Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,067
    I have some experience in this field and a lot of companies selling luxury clothing at discounts have bought from retail rather than the designer.

Two great examples of this would be Nordstrom Rack and TJMaxx. Nordstrom Rack is the off-season store which receives all of the clothes that didn't sell in Nordstrom. TJMaxx buys in bulk clothes which couldn't sell in previous seasons in other stores.

This happens because A) the designers ideally don't want their clothes in these stores and therefore plan to never sell directly to them B) stores like Nordstrom, Barneys avoid sales at all costs because customers become accustomed to sales and wait to shop til then which tarnishes your customer base.

This is a very tough industry, especially given there are bulk sale sites where a company will buy 5,000 of an item once 5,000 customers pre-pay upfront etc. so that everyone gets a great price and the purchaser makes a profit - this is the way to succeed in this space.

If you really want to buy surplus designer clothes you need to contact retailers. The designers rarely have surplus, almost never. They make to order thousands of units at a time for their retail partners and most designers have very little direct sales presence and therefore have little stock which could even become surplus.

Arnie likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.