The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When to form an LLC

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
My dad said it’s not worth it to form an LLC until I generate a million in revenue.

I’m a sole proprietor now. I couldn’t come up with a valid argument.

What do you guys think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
My dad said it’s not worth it to form an LLC until I generate a million in revenue.

What do you guys think?
You should form an LLC as soon as it starts to make money and you’ve decided that the business has legs.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Yeah, don’t do what I did (and a lot of noobs do) and set one up before doing anything. It’s pointless.

The reason you incorporate is to shield your business assets from liability.

Well, if you don’t have business assets (worth substantial money)... then... ??? Haha. Grind time > paperwork

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

What do you guys think?
You need LLC when the business starts making money, or said in another way, after you have some sales.
Before that there is no reason.
Your dad has no idea what hes talking about, 1 million in revenue before legalizing the business? You want to go to jail?

originalMJT

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jun 18, 2021
England

What do you guys think?
If you own a house or car or anything in your name that could be taken away to be sold, I would form a limited comany so you protect your own assets, if the business gets in any trouble they can only take whats the company owns.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

If you own a house or car or anything in your name that could be taken away to be sold, I would form a limited comany so you protect your own assets, if the business gets in any trouble they can only take whats the company owns.
Depends. In Texas, your house is your homestead and cannot be touched.

@alexkuzmov not sure what country you are in, but in the USA you do not need an LLC or corporation to “legally do business.” They don’t grant you some magical business license.

of course, some industries do have licenses, like real estate, plumbing, etc. kind of BS.

D

Deleted85763

What do you guys think?
You should speak with at least two attornies in your area who specialize in business law and in setting up legal entities like LLC's, corporations, etc.. You want the best form for your specific situation. Many will offer a free initial consultation so there's nothing to lose.

In my persnal experience I knew someone who set up a corporation. They spent a fair amount money, had to do lots of paper work, reporting and annual meetings. Over a number of years that it was in existence the business never had any legal situations where the corporation would have shielded the owner from liability. In fact regardless that a corporation was formed I believe in this case the owner still might be liable because the company was very small. They call it "piercing the veil". So it might have been a waste of time and money to set up that corporation.

Still, speaking with a specialized local attorney is always the best bet before starting a business.

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Robert Kiyosaki talks about LLCs in rich dad poor dad like their the ultimate thing to do because of tax advantages.

Based on the answers received so far it seems like that’s not that important.

The tax stuff that he talks about is the biggest reason I’m thinking about doing it because neither one of my businesses carry much liability from a lawsuit standpoint… and I don’t have much to lose.

originalMJT

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jun 18, 2021
England

@alexkuzmov not sure what country you are in, but in the USA you do not need an LLC or corporation to “legally do business.” They don’t grant you some magical business license.

of course, some industries do have licenses, like real estate, plumbing, etc. kind of BS.
I think he means earning a million before setting up the LLC and telling the IRS. I'm sure you would be looking at jail time for non payment of tax on a million

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
I think he means earning a million before setting up the LLC and telling the IRS. I'm sure you would be looking at jail time for non payment of tax on a million
No that’s not what He meant. My dad meant being operating as a sole proprietor because here (California) the cost is not worth incorporating until a million is reached.

originalMJT

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jun 18, 2021
England
No that’s not what He meant. My dad meant being operating as a sole proprietor because here (California) the cost is not worth incorporating until a million is reached.
I'm not talking about the Dad i'm talking about @alexkuzmov

originalMJT

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jun 18, 2021
England
Your dad has no idea what hes talking about, 1 million in revenue before legalizing the business? You want to go to jail?

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Here In Germany i d make one as soon as I see my business becoming a business.
I have a business insurance now that my business isn’t one really. But as soon as I had a real business, my private property must be protected of my business riscs!

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Robert Kiyosaki talks about LLCs in rich dad poor dad like their the ultimate thing to do because of tax advantages.

The tax stuff that he talks about is the biggest reason I’m thinking about doing it because neither one of my businesses carry much liability from a lawsuit standpoint… and I don’t have much to lose.
Incorporate AFTER you have a real business.

First start making sales.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

I'm from Bulgaria, eastern Europe.
The laws here are a bit different, yes, but 1 million revenue is far too much for any goverment agency not to take notice.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

This is true, you can business expense stuff and you get tax advantages.
HOWEVER thats not a reason to open a LLC, its just a benefit of owning one.
This is what he kind of fails to mention in his rich dad poor dad books.
Without sales you have no business and you cant buy anything to get a tax advantage on.

Its hard for me to give advice here since I dont know the law in US.
But if a sole proprietor means a legal entity, that'll might work as well to protect your assets.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I'm from Bulgaria, eastern Europe.
The laws here are a bit different, yes, but 1 million revenue is far too much for any goverment agency not to take notice.
You're misunderstanding me.

I never ever suggested to hide anything from the government.

Here in the USA, you can pay your business taxes WITHOUT EVER HAVING A CORPORATION.

It is called a "sole proprietorship."

It is the default when you do business as an individual. No business, no llc, no corporation required.

Yes, you still pay your taxes...... whether you earn $10,000, $1 million, or $1 BILLION.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
You're misunderstanding me.

I never ever suggested to hide anything from the government.

Here in the USA, you can pay your business taxes WITHOUT EVER HAVING A CORPORATION.

It is called a "sole proprietorship."

It is the default when you do business as an individual. No business, no llc, no corporation required.

Yes, you still pay your taxes......
You guys are lucky, lol :D
its easier to do business in the US legally speaking.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.