The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When should I get a permanent business address (outside of my personal apartment address)?

BMT1987

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Feb 24, 2022
Hi folks -- for folks who'd like to read my progress thread, please click my profile/avatar and it'll be the first/only post in there as of this writing (if it's not in there, please ping me immediately). Anyway I had a question I've been grappling with recently. I'm trying to start my own solo company, and I've got all the paperwork and whatnot completed so that's great; got an LLC, an EIN, thus the IRS knows who I am. Yay. However, I live in an apartment and tend to move a decent amount as apartments obviously aren't the most permanent of addresses.

During my most recent move, I learned that filing a mail-forwarding address with the U.S. Post Office doesn't actually update your business address insofar as the IRS is concerned (although if I recall correctly, I was able to update it online with the state of Colorado [where it's registered] with little hassle). Now, I don't have any revenue so my theory is the IRS doesn't care, but does anybody have any advice about getting a permanent business mailing address? I've been looking into some of these virtual mailbox services that'll scan your mail for you -- they seem pretty rad.

But should I even bother signing up for one before I actually have any revenue? From what I could gather on the IRS's website, there's a few ways to update your address with them: Address Changes | Internal Revenue Service

I'd think the easiest way is by filing a tax return. But as I eluded to above, I have no revenue to report (much to my chagrin), thus I have no tax return to file. But anyway what should I do about my business address situation? Should I set up a virtual mailbox (or something else) now or should I wait until I've gotten at least one check from a client?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TKLyte

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 9, 2020
Hi folks -- for folks who'd like to read my progress thread, please click my profile/avatar and it'll be the first/only post in there as of this writing (if it's not in there, please ping me immediately). Anyway I had a question I've been grappling with recently. I'm trying to start my own solo company, and I've got all the paperwork and whatnot completed so that's great; got an LLC, an EIN, thus the IRS knows who I am. Yay. However, I live in an apartment and tend to move a decent amount as apartments obviously aren't the most permanent of addresses.

During my most recent move, I learned that filing a mail-forwarding address with the U.S. Post Office doesn't actually update your business address insofar as the IRS is concerned (although if I recall correctly, I was able to update it online with the state of Colorado [where it's registered] with little hassle). Now, I don't have any revenue so my theory is the IRS doesn't care, but does anybody have any advice about getting a permanent business mailing address? I've been looking into some of these virtual mailbox services that'll scan your mail for you -- they seem pretty rad.

But should I even bother signing up for one before I actually have any revenue? From what I could gather on the IRS's website, there's a few ways to update your address with them: Address Changes | Internal Revenue Service

I'd think the easiest way is by filing a tax return. But as I eluded to above, I have no revenue to report (much to my chagrin), thus I have no tax return to file. But anyway what should I do about my business address situation? Should I set up a virtual mailbox (or something else) now or should I wait until I've gotten at least one check from a client?
Have you thought about the UPS store? Used to be Mailboxes etc. There's one in every city. You pay monthly and it's affordable. The UPS Store®

BMT1987

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Feb 24, 2022
Have you thought about the UPS store? Used to be Mailboxes etc. There's one in every city. You pay monthly and it's affordable. The UPS Store®
Hi @TKLyte . I did consider it -- but I'd prefer a virtual service as then that doesn't require me to live in a specific area, and I can then have the mail scanned and I can read it from anywhere with an internet connection.

Does anybody have any idea though as to when I should concern myself with getting a permanent business address? cc: @Rabby , @MitchC

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Hi @TKLyte . I did consider it -- but I'd prefer a virtual service as then that doesn't require me to live in a specific area, and I can then have the mail scanned and I can read it from anywhere with an internet connection.

Does anybody have any idea though as to when I should concern myself with getting a permanent business address? cc: @Rabby , @MitchC
I’m in Australia so it’s probably different here.

I used a virtual mailbox for a while until I had revenue. Once I had revenue I needed an accountant and I think they let me use their address.

I have a PO Box as a shipping address for all my mail and customer returns etc.

In hindsight the virtual mailbox was probably a waste of time it really didn’t seem to matter what I put down as my address as long as the shipping address was the P.O. Box so I could get the mail. No one can find that address, you won’t have customers turn up at your house etc.

If you are moving all the time to the point that you won’t have access to a P.O. Box then yeah the virtual mailbox makes a lot of sense. They just emailed me scans of all my mail, I think 10c per page or something and if you wanted that mail they could forward it to you.

You said it yourself getting revenue is a priority, but this llc etc you are setting up can be used for any future business, it’s a company not a business name, so it’s not a waste of time to do properly. On the other hand the government is busy and incompetent, they really won’t care what the address says on some random company.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida

It just depends on what you need. I wouldn't lease a building just for the address... you can use a PO box or UPS store for that.

If you don't have revenue yet, you're probably overthinking this. Worst case, you can change the address whenever you switch apartments. Focus on finding the revenue. Answer to the original question is something like "when people start mailing you checks and you need one place to receive all those checks."

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.