From time to time I see posters encouraging folks to quit their jobs as soon as possible and go all in.
And to some extent ... there is certainly an undeniable logic to the reasoning.
Sink or swim.
Perhaps they are right.
On the flip side ... I've experienced an unexpected phenomena recently that ... for whatever it's worth ... I thought I'd share.
In 2013 and 2014 ... I spent most of my time developing a website. My law practice paid the bills ... and was pretty much on auto-pilot ... and this gave me the time I (thought I) needed to pursue my entrepreneurial endeavors.
2013 was set aside for site development ... 2014 was used for beta-testing in a limited test market ... then ... exactly one year ago (to this day) I took the site offline to make responsive modifications to the site based on the input received during the beta testing.
I also needed to spend some time marketing my law practice ... which was something I had put on the back burner while I focused on the site.
And I will be honest ... busting my a$$ on the site ... day after day ... sacrificing for the "big payoff" tomorrow ... was exhausting. I looked forward to a break ... before the next big push.
Then, in 2015, something rather unexpected happened ... my law practice took off ... in a very big way.
And oddly enough ... part of what led to that new found success ... traced back to what I learning building the site.
Anyway ... as the law practice started to take off ... the thought of laboring day after day on the site ... for uncompensated sweat equity ... became more and more unpalatable.
And yet ... I was not prepared to completely walk away from it.
But I've noticed a shift in my mindset.
I've gotten angry ... in a good way.
No longer (for example) am I willing to take free customer service inquiries without compensation. No longer am I willing to screen site applicants on my dime. No more uncompensated anything.
Whereas before ... I seemed to have time in abundance ... now ... I am very covetous of my time.
I find myself thinking ... how can I outsource this ... how can I automate that ... how do I take myself out of the equation ... do I really need this or that ... and if I cannot completely escape a task ... how much do I need to get paid to make "X" worth my time ...?
Parato's Principle is taking over.
Looking back ... I realize I invested way too much time in this project while time was abundant. I was a perfectionist ... when "good enough" would have sufficed ... and should have.
I guess the long short is ... having an abundance of time to work on a Fastlane project can be a blessing and a curse. The blessing side is obvious. But the curse side ... less so.
When you have less time ... when your time becomes more valuable ... you start thinking about projects smarter.
I would never have done (now) ... what I did back then.
And I know that were this site to one day scale ... it will scale far more efficiently because I am removing myself from the equation the very best I can.
So I am ready to "go all in" with my time ...?
Nope. Just the opposite.
Less time ... in not necessarily a bad thing.
For whatever it's worth.
And to some extent ... there is certainly an undeniable logic to the reasoning.
Sink or swim.
Perhaps they are right.
On the flip side ... I've experienced an unexpected phenomena recently that ... for whatever it's worth ... I thought I'd share.
In 2013 and 2014 ... I spent most of my time developing a website. My law practice paid the bills ... and was pretty much on auto-pilot ... and this gave me the time I (thought I) needed to pursue my entrepreneurial endeavors.
2013 was set aside for site development ... 2014 was used for beta-testing in a limited test market ... then ... exactly one year ago (to this day) I took the site offline to make responsive modifications to the site based on the input received during the beta testing.
I also needed to spend some time marketing my law practice ... which was something I had put on the back burner while I focused on the site.
And I will be honest ... busting my a$$ on the site ... day after day ... sacrificing for the "big payoff" tomorrow ... was exhausting. I looked forward to a break ... before the next big push.
Then, in 2015, something rather unexpected happened ... my law practice took off ... in a very big way.
And oddly enough ... part of what led to that new found success ... traced back to what I learning building the site.
Anyway ... as the law practice started to take off ... the thought of laboring day after day on the site ... for uncompensated sweat equity ... became more and more unpalatable.
And yet ... I was not prepared to completely walk away from it.
But I've noticed a shift in my mindset.
I've gotten angry ... in a good way.
No longer (for example) am I willing to take free customer service inquiries without compensation. No longer am I willing to screen site applicants on my dime. No more uncompensated anything.
Whereas before ... I seemed to have time in abundance ... now ... I am very covetous of my time.
I find myself thinking ... how can I outsource this ... how can I automate that ... how do I take myself out of the equation ... do I really need this or that ... and if I cannot completely escape a task ... how much do I need to get paid to make "X" worth my time ...?
Parato's Principle is taking over.
Looking back ... I realize I invested way too much time in this project while time was abundant. I was a perfectionist ... when "good enough" would have sufficed ... and should have.
I guess the long short is ... having an abundance of time to work on a Fastlane project can be a blessing and a curse. The blessing side is obvious. But the curse side ... less so.
When you have less time ... when your time becomes more valuable ... you start thinking about projects smarter.
I would never have done (now) ... what I did back then.
And I know that were this site to one day scale ... it will scale far more efficiently because I am removing myself from the equation the very best I can.
So I am ready to "go all in" with my time ...?
Nope. Just the opposite.
Less time ... in not necessarily a bad thing.
For whatever it's worth.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
