The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When Advertisers Come Knocking....

Legacy Dad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Sep 3, 2007
Worldwide, depending on the month.
I have a blog and from the beginning I decided that the purpose of my blog was to share info and record my personal progress in some areas of my life.

Recently, subscriptions and hits have taken off and now advertisers are asking to buy ad space.

When did you decide to take ads?

Did you moderate ads to make sure they were in line with your sites overall message?

At this point I feel I would be doing my subscribers an injustice to start bombarding them with ads? I personally don't like sites full of ads, I feel they are made to just sell me something?

Thoughts, Comments and Guidance please?

Lance

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
I've been doing a bit of research on putting ads on some of my sites.
(Once I convert NoLimitsLadies to Wordpress)

Most bloggers claim that their traffic didn't drop with advertising.
There were some complaints
(but then I got a lot of complaints
when I changed my template so that's to be expected. LOL)
but nothing major.

I'll give you an update when I plop the advertising on
(looking at my hectic schedule, likely the new year).

Oh, and I never plan to put advertising on Clientk.com
(other than my book information)
'cause it gives me a giggle to have no marketing
on a marketing blog.
My private joke.

: )

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina
Ive hosted some blogs in my day, and spoken normally become friends with the website owners that I host. The general consensus is to keep the ads relevant to your blog topic. IE you have a golf blog, do not plaster your site with penis enlarger ads. Also, most people that are part of your blog should understand that web hosting isn't free especially to support high end trafficked sites, so I would put up an explanation as to why you have started accepting advertisers. You can also add that the sponsors will help the forum/blog grow, because that will put money in your pocket to turn around and advertise your blog!

Also if you do decide to use adverts on your site, a lot of my guys use www.adjuggler.com, they have had great success with that. So I wish you luck, and hope that those advertisers keep on knocking! And let me know if you do start accepting ad's I have a few Apto Hosting banners that I wouldn't mind putting up!

Thanks
Tom C.
www.AptoHosting.com

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I just stuck adsense and Text Link Ads on my blog. People will still come and read your blog if you're ads are not in the way. I tried Kontera, but it didn't convert well and annoyed the readers.

IMO, TLA is a best way to go to.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

piranha526

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 20, 2007
New Jersey
Lance,
I am about to implement ads on my site as the traffic is growing at an awesome pace. I would like to place about 6 direct sale ads above my two right sidebars similar to what Jon Chow had and Daren at problogger.net. Nice, neat and to the point.

I have a couple Google ads but they annoy me and only make between $100 and $200 per month. The ads I sell will be to direct companies I use and recommend (if possible). If not, I will only sell ads that fit my niche.

I have been contacted by numerous companies for ads but some of them are for products and services that have nothing to do with my site and I won’t allow that.

Bio, Kontera annoyed me so I took them down after 1 week. I could care less if they work, if they annoy me, they probably annoy others!!!

I haven’t set a price but when I do, I will come back and let you know. Stocktradingtogo, run by Blain (a RD member) made about $1,000 last month using a combination of ad techniques (he based his techniques from Jon Chow who makes five figured per month with ads). His ad revenues jumped from $400+ to $900+ per month with a new template design. I have slightly higher traffic stats at this time so I am slacking on a solid revenue stream from a personal blog that I do for fun.

Why not pick up an extra $1,000+ per month for doing what I am already doing for nothing???

I hope to have the ads up and running by the end of the year (ready for 2008).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.