The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Opportunity Knocking

JTR

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jun 10, 2017
Michigan
Hey Fastlaners, I'm Josh.

I'm originally from Minnesota but my girlfriend and I moved to Michigan a few years ago. I've been a lurker of TFL for a few months now and a lot of the helpful information that's posted here has gone a long way in leading me to my first ever business acquisition.

Pinpointing what I have wanted to do with my life had always been a difficult task for me. Growing up I never really put much thought on what I wanted to do after high school, after college, and even when I went out into the "real world" after graduation. Early on I had the mentality of just "making it" another day, another week, another year. At the time, I was content with working a 9-5, collecting my paycheck every 2 weeks, and just doing what I could to be a productive member of society.

Then, about 5 years ago, I stopped caring. I found out I was the beneficiary of a windfall and upon learning this, I rapidly lost motivation to continue being a productive member of society. I was no longer content with working a 9-5 and collecting a regular paycheck.

I neglected my responsibilities for about an entire year. During this time I quit my job, my car got repossessed. I defaulted on the only 2 credit cards I had. I was out drinking with friends and at concerts being a dumbass. In the back of my mind I figured I could because I won't have to worry about things later in life. I was going to be rich!!

And then reality hit me. I was broke and nobody was going to give me money to continue being a dumbass. I had been out of the workforce for a significant period of time that getting a 9-5 was almost impossible when having to explain my gap in work experience.

That's when I met my girlfriend. I don't know what she saw in me that was attractive at the time. Hell, I still don't. But one thing is for sure, she had her shit together and I didn't. Being around her and her friends, I felt insecure. I didn't work, I didn't have responsibilities, I didn't care about anything. Her friends would ask her what she saw in me or why she was dating me. But the more time we spent together the more I knew I wanted to continue spending time with her. The only way for that to happen though was for me to get MY shit together. And so I did.

I worked my a$$ off. I started an event management and marketing company with a couple friends. Our company won a contract with Major League Baseball to manage their All-Star Weekend parties, we worked with private businesses to help fund-raise for organizations such as the American Heart Association. I worked with a SaaS startup leading their bizdev efforts which helped lead the company to a successful exit. In a short amount of time I finally had my shit together. I began to get what some may call "the itch".

Many of you know what it is. Out of nowhere you have a thirst for always doing SOMETHING. Building, growing, learning, nothing quenches the thirst for always wanting more.

When my girlfriend and I moved to Michigan about 18 months ago, I had my partners buy me out. I had that feeling of being "content" again. This time though, instead of falling back into the same hole I did 5 years ago, I fought back. I decided that things were too good and I enjoyed building, growing and learning too much.

Around sometime in December of 2016 I stumbled upon this site and became a lurker. I didn't register because I didn't feel I had anything to offer or contribute at the time. But about 2 months ago opportunity came knocking and I'm now in the process of closing on my first business acquisition. There's quite a bit of information here that has helped me through this process and I felt now would be a better time than any to finally sign up.

I want to be able to share my experiences and struggles and successes with others. I find it therapeutic.

So, I wanted to give a general Thank You to the members of this site. I hope that going forward I'll be able to contribute and impact others in the same way that many of you have impacted me.

I know this was long winded and I apologize. I haven't had a lot of sleep and it all probably sounds a bit cliche.

Anyways, I'm glad to be here and I look forward to meeting some of you.

- Josh

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great story Josh, thank you for sharing it. Looking forward to hearing more about the acquisition. And congrats on the event management success.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...