The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's your ULTIMATE Lifestyle?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Crumbs2Bricks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Aug 29, 2012
This thread was inspired by poster "Lights" thread asking what your "retirement" income/net worth goal was. Some replied by saying they didn't see themselves not working so I figured I'd create thread that allows you to share the lifestyle you'd live or hope to live when you hit your "magic number".

For me, I'd like to travel to South American countries and learn to cook authentic Spanish foods from local chefs. In addition to that I'd like to purchase a nice 3 bedroom loft/row house or brownstone in a place like Philadelphia with a great kitchen like MJ's. I don't want to own a single family home anymore as it just takes time away from doing other enjoyable things. Yard work sucks. Also, it's important for me to be in a city where driving is optional.

In addition to that, I'd like to be able to travel overseas for long periods of time and enjoying the local foods while still collecting passive income from business ventures. I'd like to spend a great deal of my time learning to cook different kids of foods.

These are things that have been and always will be important to a happy life.

What about you?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Sorry for the cursing, I watched a bit too much of hodgetwins videos as workout motivation.

I don't have specifics. For me, freedom to do whatever I want, live whereever I want, drive whatever I want, etc, is the ultimate lifestyle.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
I'm with theag on this one haha.

So what is whatever I'd want to do? I posted a little bit of it in the bucket list thread. Go on amazing journey's and travel completely care free. Build my own house by hand from scratch. Tinker around with stuff, build a personal home-made flying machine, start and finish projects without having to worry about the monetary value of it. Get married and watch my kids grow up.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Sorry for the cursing, I watched a bit too much of hodgetwins videos as workout motivation.

I don't have specifics. For me, freedom to do whatever I want, live whereever I want, drive whatever I want, etc, is the ultimate lifestyle.

I don't think anyone on the forum wants to hear about sugar walls and mushroom tips.

Anyway... I want that house in my avatar. It costs about 1.5 million USD/CAD, 1.75 million NZD. It's located in northern NZ. I wanna live there and spend my time chilling outside, near the pool I'm going to get built. I want to drive a Lamborghini Gallardo Nera or a black Aventador and pull up right to my house.

In reality, I'm probably gonna be living in Southern Ontario in a regular sized house, driving a Honda Odyssey. However: if I ever wanted to live in that house in New Zealand, I would be able to. If I wanted to drive a Lambo, I would be able to. I'm used to a middle class life and I see nothing wrong with it. The freedom is what I really want.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
I have the lifestyle where I can wake up when I want and can travel where ever I want.

Truthfully I want my OLD life back of working and working for hour after hour on a ever improving business.

True story, I just got back from being at the beach for the past 6 hours and I was bored to the hilt. I have GOT to find a hobby, this is getting borderline psychotic lol

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
I watched a bit too much of hodgetwins videos as workout motivation.
Hilarious...when I read your original post thats who I thought of.
Its amazing how large of a following those guys have now.

Crumbs2Bricks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Aug 29, 2012
I have the lifestyle where I can wake up when I want and can travel where ever I want.

Truthfully I want my OLD life back of working and working for hour after hour on a ever improving business.

True story, I just got back from being at the beach for the past 6 hours and I was bored to the hilt. I have GOT to find a hobby, this is getting borderline psychotic lol

Yeah, I want the freedom but I don't want to get bored. I have plenty of hobbies and also I still want to consult when I want to.

Pilots license(Choppers)
Photography
Cooking
Teaching at a community college(business classes, of course)

Just four hobbies to name.........

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair

Wow, I would SO love to get to this point.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Waking up in the morning with a boat ready to go docked in my backyard and fishing all day. Could do that till I die.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA

That's the irony of all of us! We work twice as hard to acquire freedom and the freedom we want is to do whatever productive work we want hahah.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011

Train for Mr. Olympia... Looks like you have the genes. Ps. Its on tonight.

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
From that thread...
I think retirement for me would be just the ability to work on whatever I want, build anything I wanted to build, to do ANYTHING. The freedom.
My number for this is $5,000,000. The interest from investments will be more then enough to allow it to grow and invest in whatever biz expenses I have.

My number has, is, and will always be $1,000,000,000. Most people think I'm crazy, I know the %'s of this ever happening will be slim to none but I'll never stop pursuing this. I don't want a 100m house or a 400ft yacht. I want to change the world, with money comes power to those who know how to use it. Even for-profit companies are able to change the world by creating products that change the way we live.

Fame isn't important to me either, just want to be able to whatever I want, whenever I want.

@PatrickP, you should start working with start-ups. If you like working, this is where you'll work nonstop if you get passionate about it.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

Ever considered knitting? ROFL

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Ever considered knitting? ROFL

You don't know how funny that actually is!

Being the youngest with 5 older sisters YES they actually did teach me to knit when I was around 7 years old ugggg

But I did make a nice scarf for my mother for Christmas ROFL

Steele Concept

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Sep 3, 2012
Connecticut
A small, modern house on a quiet lake in New England. Watch the seasons turn and different fauna and animals in nature. Simple living.

Taking it easy, working on my fast lane business with plenty of meditation and Jiu Jitsu in between.

Wealth. Balance. Peace.

LamboMP

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Aug 13, 2007
Toronto

haha most would want your problems!

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
A small, modern house on a quiet lake in New England. Watch the seasons turn and different fauna and animals in nature. Simple living.

Taking it easy, working on my fast lane business with plenty of meditation and Jiu Jitsu in between.

Wealth. Balance. Peace.
Mmmhhh, can't even begin to explain how much meditation has helped my thought process over the years. That could be a thread itself!

joona

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 1, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
Ultimate lifestyle? I think it would look something like this for me:
- Waking up next to the love of my life every morning without the need for neither of us to run somewhere or use an alarm.
- Spending 10-25 hours a week on my business which would include more advising than actual execution of ideas. You know, problem solving, coming up with strategies, goal setting and that kind of stuff. I can also see a part of those hours spent consulting other businesses.
- Having the ability to take 2-3 weeks off my business obligations on a very short notice and do whatever I want wherever I want.
- Owning a cool apartment (hate yardwork) in my native Finland as well as in the country where I want to live (currently Budapest, Hungary)
- Having enough money on the bank account that I know I'll be okay for decades even if no money comes in. That number would be something like 2-3 million euros for me.

So basically just like others have said: freedom to choose how and where you spend your time and being able to make decisions without worrying about finances or other obligations.

theDarkness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 11, 2012
Honestly?

from six to noon: read
noon to six: write
six to midnight: hang out w/ wife, take a long 1-2hr walk together at some point. Make a nice dinner, maybe visit a friend.
midnight to six: sleep

And just do that every. single. day. I've considered that the ideal lifestyle for five years or so now. I love to be almost monastically wrapped up in my writing.

I was going to type up a passage from Roth's The Ghost Writer, but I can't figure out where I put my copy. There's this passage where he just nails the bliss that can come after ten hours of reworking one sentence, one paragraph. I love hacking away at a thing until every last word hums with sheer inevitability. I keep a collection of stuff that I think I've worked to that level, and every time I go back and read one of them I feel nearly drunk.

DeLillo is also pretty good in Mao II on that monastic-like feeling of pounding away at a thing, though I can't remember any specific passages right now. I remember connecting with the protagonist's complaints about back pain from sitting down too long :p

So that's the ideal. I would actually probably fudge it to include more time with the wife, time for business pursuits (could I really just stop?), and I might want to walk in both the morning and evening. But still 3-4 hours of reading and 3-4 hours of writing, ideally. I think Stephen King was spot-on when he recommended about that kind of regimen in his writing book.

eidt- I found some of it here: Quote by Philip Roth: I turn sentences around. That

But I think it went on and included even more stuff that I really liked. This is mostly the funny/sarcastic/exasperated bits. I feel like he talked more about the day-by-day feel of it all too. I'm not sure what I could have done with that copy.
“I turn sentences around. That’s my life. I write a sentence and then I turn it around. Then I look at it and I turn it around again. Then I have lunch. Then I come back in and write another sentence. Then I have tea and turn the new sentence around. Then I read the two sentences over and turn them both around. Then I lie down on my sofa and think. Then I get up and throw them out and start from the beginning. And if I knock off from this routine for as long as a day, I’m frantic with boredom and a sense of waste.â€

xgrave

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Oct 1, 2012
$10MM worth of municipal bonds. Tax free steady income for life. You cant walk into a car dealership and drop cash for a Lambo, but you sure can finance anything your heart desires.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
I want a nice primary house in La Jolla, a cabin in Tahoe, and a family compound in the local mountains.

I want to spend time helping my kids, grandkids, and ultimately great-grandkids find their own way with their own businesses.

Cars for me are not status symbols. I would feel awkward driving something like that. No Rolls Royce for me. Lambo, probably not, Ferrari probably, Porsche definitely. I am a driving junkie and cannot get enough of performance driving. I really enjoy instructing. It's amazing to watch the change in a student's face over the course of a day go from abject terror to giddy grins as they learn throttle steering to rotate the car.

I want to take several track visit vacations with my (as yet unpurchased) GT3R. Lots of tracks in the US to try. I want to hit Road America, Mid-America, Sebring, Road Atlanta, Gingerman, Watkins Glen, Sears Point (now Sonoma Raceway) and Thunderhill. I know I'm missing several. That could be a few trips right there. Then go abroad, hit the Nurburgring, Spa, Silverstone, Donnington Park. Go to Japan and run Suzuka.

I love travel, whether to Paris or Marrakech. I've never been abroad with my wife, and I'm really looking forward to showing her the sights I've seen.

I enjoy sailing. I'd like to have a 36' Oyster on charter in the BVI's that I can use whenever the mood strikes.

That's my lifestyle goals. Looking at it that way, it sounds like a great retirement!

Steve37

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Sep 4, 2012
Would love to have my wife and I retire from having to work, although I'll never fully retire. I enjoy business and absolutely love collecting rent checks / note payments / etc. It would be very difficult to completely check out of that mindset. Like probably everyone here I analyze every business I see, even on vacation.

Lifestyle plan is pretty simplistic. I've got an particular island in the Carribean that i'd like to spend at least six months of the year on in a small house that allows me to do as much boating, diving, snorkeling, and relaxing as possible. Other times of the year would be spend doing whatever we wanted.

Like Amail i'd like to be a track junkie doing about 30 days a year ( vs 10 or so now ), and also doing so in a GT3. Sebring is my home track but i'd love to hit all of the major ones a few times a year. Being a driver in Lemans would be phenomenal, but I'm not that good of a driver and don't have any of the natural talent needed to get into that game.

On the philanthropic note i'd like to open a no kill shelter for dogs and spend some time finding animals good homes.

Currently on the slowlane track to hit these goals in my early to mid 50's - but i'm on this forum to find a way to cut that number down by ten years.

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
Based on what I wrote here: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/blogs/pinnacle/160-where-do-you-see-yourself-5-years-now.html

I will probably be a member of a destination club or two. I have no idea where my primary residence will be. That's not something I want planned; I'd like to be able to figure it out once I reach this level.

I can lease/rent goodies like luxury cars or yachts or private jets until the thrill is gone. This will free me from maintenance concerns and depreciation. If I don't go that route and decide to own, I may have something set up where I can lease/rent out luxury items that I own.

Not waking up to an alarm anymore. Filling my life, only halfway, with activities and adventures. I'm a proud lover of opulent living, but I wish to live abundantly rather than excessively. Life is more about experiences rather than things for me. If a material possession doesn't enhance an experience for me (i.e. renting a yacht to throw a birthday party, host an investors club meeting, or hold an awards ceremony) then I will avoid it.

I'm not a fan of living modestly as a wealthy person. I can live abundantly (not excessively) without it harming others. Unlike Sidewalkers, I will do this for no one but myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
$10MM worth of municipal bonds. Tax free steady income for life. You cant walk into a car dealership and drop cash for a Lambo, but you sure can finance anything your heart desires.

Yeah, I'm looking at something similar to this, except my number is $6 million. I can get steady returns of 5% pretty easily in any economy, so an after-tax pay of $200k without doing a damn thing is just awesome.

In my case, I'd diversify just in case any rates go down.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.