• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

What's your opinion on blinkist.com ?

Discussion in 'Education, Learning, Books' started by Alex Nolte, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Alex Nolte

Alex Nolte Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $403
    Just stumbled across blinkist.com and I'm curious whats your opinion on it? Has anyone tried it? Can it completely replace reading a book? Or do you think its only scratching on the surface?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Vigilante likes this.
  2. pmaloneus

pmaloneus Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $562
    I have used it for the past 2 years. It hasn't replaced books for me, but helps me weed out the true gems that I want to dig deeper into.

Solid purchase for me and will continue to use it. It's actually how I found this forum.

3. Alex Nolte

Alex Nolte Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $403
    Aight thanks! I think I'll start with the monthy subscription and see how I like it.

4. Mr.Brandtastic

Mr.Brandtastic Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,704
    Looks interesting, why don't you try it and get back to us?

Alex Nolte likes this.
  5. cwalto12

cwalto12 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $362
    I'm interested in your experience as well.

Alex Nolte likes this.
  6. Alex Nolte

Rep Bank:
    $403
    I'll keep you posted!

7. MC Hammer

MC Hammer Too cold to get old Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $93
    I would say it's worth checking out, but there is a serious danger. You might read the blink thinking that you pretty much understand the topic, while there will be serious gaps in your understanding.

That may seem obvious, but I wonder if I would have skipped over some excellent books had I listened to the blink first. I think I can only truly recommend it for books that you would normally never read. It may very well work out differently for you. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The Patriot Way likes this.
  8. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $335,816
    Admin Post
    How is that? Are they distributing summaries on my work?

Producing and profiting on book summaries requires a license. I have sold no license on any of my books for summaries. And I don't want it summarized.

Invictus, ShadyDave, theag and 6 others like this.
  9. JAJT

JAJT Ha Ha! Business Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $64,579
    ShadyDave, theag, Alex Nolte and 2 others like this.
  10. Tommo

Tommo Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,690
    Hi MJ
    Hi MJ,
    You might notice your ideas are being used and "personalized" in other writers books IMO. Lot's of copycat works seem to be appearing not just in books but on FB IM ads.

11. Sanj Modha

Sanj Modha Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,973
    Nothing can replace a book for me. Ever.

Switching to audio or Kindle instead of reading a physical book is like putting on a VR headset and 'going on holiday' instead of actually travelling the world.

It's just not the same experience.

Alex Nolte, GatsbyMag and The_Saphir like this.
  12. NVaz

NVaz Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,065
    They have a free daily book summary (link), I suggest you to start with that and see if it suits you. I don't have a subs but I do take advantage of their daily book summary (I send it to my kindle through a chrome extension called.... Send to Kindle :p).

I still prefer to read the whole book, but I do admit that it is a great way to find and read about topics that otherwise I wouldn't read.

Alex Nolte likes this.
  13. jasoncuellar123

jasoncuellar123 I’m probably awake. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,678
    You’re only robbing yourself of the process by reading these summaries.

“I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.” - Bruce Lee

I’d rather know one book front to cover (The Millionaire Fastlane) than a thousand one-page summaries.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  14. Fyniaina

Fyniaina New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $82
    I've been using it and just like everything else; it can be a tool that you can use to your advantage if you know what you're looking for.
    Does it replace books? I really enjoyed it when I first joined and out of curiousity after reading many blinkist summaries, I decided to download a book that I have actually read, and another and another and it turns out, they simply leave out a lot of information that I felt was important in the book and they even change the working and context sometimes so it depends on the writer they reads and summaizes the book.

I genuinely think it's the equivalent of a trailer on a movie. It's not even the movie version of a book which we all know they also cut out a lot but it's like you have read a book and then a movie was made about it and then a summary of the movie was out into a trailer to encourage you to watch the movie.

All and all I would say, if you hear of interesting book, try it on blinkist and if there is something that into gues you in there. Make sure you get the actual book and read it.

15. Colibri

Colibri Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $188
    I have been using it sporadically for 3 years. I first used it while commuting, it was great to listen to insights from a book and get an idea whether I would like the book or not. Now I have moved to Audible for audiobooks, and prefer those to audio Blinks.

Regarding the summaries themselves, some of them are good, others just meh. Have a look at some Blinks of books you have already read, and you'll get an idea of what to expect.

I once tried a "One Blink a day" challenge for 30 days. Well, at the end of the month I definitely didn't feel any smarter. I just had a vague idea of many subjects.

I find the hours you spend reading a particular book and grasping the essence of what the author wants to convey much more efficient. The connection you have with the book, the author, and the story will leave a dent in your mind forever. We all have memories of books we read, the places we did it, the mood we were in and the impact it had in our life (positive or negative).
    Reading a 15-minute summary definitely doesn't do that.

So, my honest feedback is this: Blinkist is a nice-to-have, it hasn't helped me become smarter. It is great to read a bit about many subjects, their catalog is huge. But here we are really talking about quantity over quality, unfortunately. I am not sure I will renew my subscription again. I truly feel I learn much more by reading one specific book, thoroughly taking notes and highlighting, than by reading dozens of Blinks.

Try the daily free summary and see if you like the format.

From a business perspective, they must be making tons of money. Their team has been growing like crazy. A French alternative (Koober) launched the same kind of service not long after Blinkist, and they seem to be doing good too. It seems the market is out there.

I'm surprised they didn't get in touch with @MJ DeMarco and ask permission to write about TMFL. One Karma penalty point for them.

Alex Nolte likes this.
  16. pmaloneus

pmaloneus Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $562
    Hmmm I wonder why they would put it out then? Have you reached out to them at all? I really thought you were partnering with them.

17. Sanj Modha

Sanj Modha Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,973
    Warren Buffet spends 5 hours reading 500 pages every single day.

Mark Cuban read for 3 hours before 'starting work'.

Tai Lopez reads the summary, Appendix and book reviews before posting pictures of his garage...

NanoDrake, samsara, theag and 4 others like this.
  18. yetieater

yetieater New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $34
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  19. Alex Nolte

Rep Bank:
    $403
    Perfect, thanks I'll give those daily summaries a try! Does "Send to Kindle" work well with Blinkist summaries? I've made the experience that the extension doesn't work with certain website formats etc

20. Alex Nolte

Rep Bank:
    $403
    Wow powerful quote! I'll give the free daily blink a try but tbh I'm very biased in a negative way towards blinkist now haha :rofl:

jasoncuellar123 likes this.
  21. Alex Nolte

Rep Bank:
    $403
    True words! I definitely agree to that. Thanks for the detailed reply!

22. Alex Nolte

Rep Bank:
    $403
    lmaooo :rofl::rofl:

23. jasoncuellar123

jasoncuellar123 I’m probably awake. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,678
    I’m not against these websites, but there’s no real value other than entertainment, and discovering new books.

If you want good summaries, go to Amazon reviews.

Alex Nolte and Argue like this.
  24. csalvato

csalvato Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $22,408
    Lol this made my day

EDIT: Premature submit...

I used Blinkist for several months. It's a great service to discover and vet new books that you want to check out. However, I found that I didn't need it because I have a pretty specific way I choose most books, and that supplies me with a steady stream.

My approach is:

1. Any biographies and autobiographies of people who have changed the world in a notable way go to the top of the list.
    2. Any book that is recommended by a friend or mentor who is where I want to be moves to the top of the list.

Personally, I found you can't go wrong with the biography of someone who has accomplished massive feats.

Alex Nolte likes this.
  25. LuckyPup

LuckyPup Digital Wantrepreneur Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $886
    I've been a Blinkist subscriber for about 6 months, and I've been an Audible listener for years. I agree with whoever posted that Blinkist is a process shortcut; not a good thing. For me, it's just more clutter in a world full of too much info. I've been "an inch deep and a mile wide" guy most my life, and have learned the hard way that I need to cut out extraneous info. The same goes with podcasts and other informational snippets. This stuff just distracts me from creating a real process and doing "deep work," as coined by Cal Newport.

However, if you prefer quantity over quality and like knowing a little about many things, you might like Blinkist.

Alex Nolte and csalvato like this.