The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's your job ? What do you do?

D

DeletedUser86

Got out of the military and now work for a company that fixes gas stations. Thinking how I can find an angle on this niche once I learn the ins-and-outs. I have a couple ideas already, just not sure if I will run into some proprietary issues

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChrisJTurner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Mar 13, 2015
UK
Glorified tea boy

and when I am not making tea, I work in Business Development (online).
Left to do all my own projects in my own office but just so dam bored!

Peta of JamRock

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Feb 10, 2015
Kingston, Jamaica
How did I miss this thread?

I've been freelancing as an illustrator, with a tad of graphic design, since I left school in 2012. While that's been great, it's also been full of drought periods and more medical emergencies than I'd like.

Tomorrow, I have an interview for a full-time position at a graphics firm. *fingers crossed* It would be from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m weekdays, and maybe every other Saturday. if I land it, and give me the regular inflow of cash I need to keep myself healthy and fed while I work on my project at nights/early mornings and on weekends.

Of course, getting the job would not only mean that I would have to drastically cut back on any freelance work but it would also mean that I wouldn't be hanging out here all that much. :( Oh well...as long as I'm putting in the necessary work offline, right?

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
I'm an independent property and casualty sales agent. Aka I walk people through all of their coverages for car/home step by step and help them find a better fit through one of my 15 companies, which results in a much lower price. Have a question about your car insurance? Feel free to ask.

Instead of working 5-6 days per week, I just switched over to a 4 day, 10 hour schedule. Less time commuting, less days working, more time fast lane.

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Aug 2, 2013
My slowlane job is being a Realtor selling residential real estate. I get paid quite well and can work when I want, but still "slowlane".

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
D

DeletedUser394

My boys may be looking for help. Want me to put in a word?

It's a Tyler Durden quote.

Unless you knew that, and your post went right over my head which is entirely possible lol.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
It's a Tyler Durden quote.

Unless you knew that, and your post went right over my head which is entirely possible lol.
You are breaking the first rule.......

D

DeletedUser394

You are breaking the first rule.......

lmao. I actually was going to write the name of the thing, then deleted it precisely for that reason.

You can talk about Tyler Durden.. unless you're Edward Norton in which case you can't talk about Tyler Durden.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Funny is the amount of props we get after people finding out we are doing soap......then a few moments going by....... Then 'wait a minute'......... Then they ask if this has anything to do with credit cards......

OscarDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Virginia
Had a few jobs:
Soda Jerk
Gas Station Attendant (back when we pumped your gas and checked your oil)
Lineman (but not for the county)
A few odds and ends - pretty sure the statute of limitations is up on all of 'em
Contract Pilot on Gvt. Contract (mostly taking pictures of stuff people didn't want photographed)
Electrical Contractor
Electrical Engineer
Middle Manager
CEO

And now:
President of consulting firm
Television Director (my show airs in Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, coming to the UK, US, and Canada soon)
Entertainer (stage hypnotist)

Cheers,
O-2

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
Hi, I'm Dwight Kurt Schrute III.

I'm one of the highest-ranking salesmen at the paper distribution company Dunder Miffling and
also known for my lack of social skills and common sense.

JK, I'm a freelancer at the moment, translating, transcribing, and proofreading from English to German
while working on my business.

My boys may be looking for help. Want me to put in a word?
If your kids need some help with dirty hand to hand combat, give me a call.
I'll mold them into killers.

Last edited:

FIFL

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Feb 17, 2015
Software sales. 7-8 years. I've been an Account Exec for 2 of the worlds biggest software companies, as well as the most known cloud software company (where I work today).

It is a challenging, creative, ego-levelling life of highs and lows and zero "neutral" time. Highs and winning, or absolutely scrambling to survive and fearing for your job.

Pays well for a job (~$300k if you hit target) - 50% of that is commission. If you smash quotas pay is higher ($1m is not unheard of).

Sometimes it feels like the closest job to entrepreneurialism - oh except its a job, you have a boss, and you can be fired as soon as you don't perform (literally). In my country, Tax also sucks a lot worse as an employee.

Paul Thomas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 9, 2013
Investment Banking. 2 years out of school this past month.

Learning a ton, gets pretty intense at times, and living through complex M&A transactions is pretty interesting.

Kevin Peter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 2, 2015
I was into technical coding early when I started my career. And then migrated to start a manufacturing unit. Over a couple of years, I moved into marketing services business development for International market and now into core Marketing for an reputed IT company.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
litigation support analyst

Dunkafelics

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Jun 12, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
I work for the government in the enforcement field. Great job for working on communication skills; however the clientelle is less than ideal.

On the side, I've done e-book marketing, financial advising, and website advertising. Oh and I also worked as a travel consultant as well.

ALL slowlane so far, but I am learning ;)

Majin

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jun 4, 2015
I am a young dentist (practicing less than 5 years)

Zoltan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 2, 2015
Canada
Electrical engineer with telecom specialty. Worked for 10 years as a software engineer instead (military industry). Then 2 more years as an eng consultant for various contracts. I'm in NO way passionate about my career, it depresses me so I looked forward to getting paid well while "hoping" for a good retirement thanks to real estate investments and yadi yada slowlane startegies...

But now, I just came back from my first search engine marketing course, feeling excited and energized. Time to realign and shoot for the fastlane. Loving this forum!

Peta of JamRock

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Feb 10, 2015
Kingston, Jamaica
How did I miss this thread?

I've been freelancing as an illustrator, with a tad of graphic design, since I left school in 2012. While that's been great, it's also been full of drought periods and more medical emergencies than I'd like.

Tomorrow, I have an interview for a full-time position at a graphics firm. *fingers crossed* It would be from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m weekdays, and maybe every other Saturday. if I land it, and give me the regular inflow of cash I need to keep myself healthy and fed while I work on my project at nights/early mornings and on weekends.

Of course, getting the job would not only mean that I would have to drastically cut back on any freelance work but it would also mean that I wouldn't be hanging out here all that much. :( Oh well...as long as I'm putting in the necessary work offline, right?

Slight update: Didn't get that job, but had interviews at an ad agency last Friday and a small animation studio this afternoon. Still freelancing in the mean while, and working on that fastlane rocketship.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 6, 2015
Hey, guys. I worked in Oil and Gas but got laid off due to low oil prices recently. Now I make money sitting at home doing affiliate marketing through instagram. I'm currently going to school for IT

oimate

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 8, 2015
I am a wedding photographer

Whilst I believe it will maintain a relatively slowlane process, I was at a wedding in Ireland this year and the photographer was from Australia.
Basically he set up website,connected with other photographers worldwide through various forums and other social networking avenues.

What he got was pretty cool-He realised that when it was winter in Australia, it was summer somewhere else in the world and he would move to say the UK and base himself there for a few months of the year and from what was otherwise going to be a slow, financially negative situation turned into a positive money stream where he had 1/2 weddings per week.

Not saying it wasnt hard to build up some type of profile but if he can, theres nothing stopping you.

Just a thought

0cean23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 16, 2015
Whilst I believe it will maintain a relatively slowlane process, I was at a wedding in Ireland this year and the photographer was from Australia.
Basically he set up website,connected with other photographers worldwide through various forums and other social networking avenues.

What he got was pretty cool-He realised that when it was winter in Australia, it was summer somewhere else in the world and he would move to say the UK and base himself there for a few months of the year and from what was otherwise going to be a slow, financially negative situation turned into a positive money stream where he had 1/2 weddings per week.

Not saying it wasnt hard to build up some type of profile but if he can, theres nothing stopping you.

Just a thought

Do you recall his name? Was it Jerry Ghionis? I know of an Australian photographer who is exactly as your describe. He's well known in the wedding photography industry.

SenGracic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 12, 2015
Canada
I work as an Sales Rep in a telecommunication company.
( Tv, Internet, home phone & mobile phones )

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.