The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's w/30 Treasuries?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Anyone been watching the roller coaster ride of 30 T-bills?

They've hovered around 4 +/- for ages.

I understand that after last Sept, folks were ready to get *much* less interest (flight to quality), so they bounced down to the 2's and stayed there for a bit.

In the past few days, it's popped back up to over 3 (a 15% increase in just a few days).

Any analysis?

-Russ H.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
Anyone been watching the roller coaster ride of 30 T-bills?

They've hovered around 4 +/- for ages.

I understand that after last Sept, folks were ready to get *much* less interest (flight to quality), so they bounced down to the 2's and stayed there for a bit.

In the past few days, it's popped back up to over 3 (a 15% increase in just a few days).

Any analysis?

-Russ H.

I am waiting for Bill Gross to announce that he reduced alot of his exposure to the bond market any day....

lots of dollars invested in treasuries saw the most unexpected, most unlikely and probably the most pleasant surprise they ever imagined: a nice 10% jump in price which equals 3 to 4 years worth of interest. Selling bonds and converting into cash is prudent strategy. Bond bubbles are very painful to big money institutions....

I was in the same quandry just yesterday figuring out if I should sell several of my holdings after just buying them recently as long term holdings for purposes of income producing.... bought in the past month... captured huge dividends on a couple and have nice, unexpected appreciation (SFL, OCNF, CMO, AGNC, VNR) ... within a month, my port went up a solid 30%. This is probably the largest jump I have ever had since the tech bomb...

so what to do? I am happy going all cash now that I almost tripled my goal for the year in the very first week of trading in the new year.... but, there's always a but....

so the big question is where that bond money is going.... the shift may have just started going back in to equities and if this theory proves true, then hold on for a fast ride up

vs. S & P:

^TYX: Summary for 30-YEAR TREASURY BOND - Yahoo! Finance

just my opinion

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Thanks, randallg.

30% ROI in the first week of the year?

Hoo-ah! :banana:

-Russ H.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMdQcfe424w]YouTube - Al Pacino - Hooo Haaas[/ame]

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
I have been doing exceptionally well in one of my trading accounts... between VNR (my only hold), CMO, ANH, OCNF, DRYS among a couple of others, I have been playing the markets like a fiddle.... the volatility is unreal and trades are sometimes lasting only a couple of hours after I put in stop limits and triggers. It's just been too dangerous to keep money in the markets... a meltdown can happen any second.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
OK, so 30 year T's cracked 4% today.

A sign that money may be moving back into the markets-- and away from T-bills?

-Russ H.

PS Randall, how "up" are you for the year? (care to share?) Totally cool if you don't-- just curious. :)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I went to a fixed income investment workshop today and they advised what I already knew; stay away from Treasuries. They are, and have been, like 5th on my list of investments. GNMA's were the talk of safety and decent yield, not surprising I've been in them for months.

If you're looking for yield w/safety ...

GNMA
Munis
Investment Grade Corporates
CD's
Treasuries are dismal 5th.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
I was surprised investment grade corps & Munis (especially munis) are above CD's in terms of saftey/reward.... what was their justification?

muni's are running out of money and shortfalls are already going bonkers.

there is still rate risk in GNMA as soon as everything is peachy again but as far as saftey is concerned, ginnies are too important to fail... gov't wouldn't let it happen so I agree it should top the list.

we just saw corp bond holders get screwed ala GM style.... 90% haircut! faith in corp debt is getting thrown out the window.

Russ- my trading account has done very well this year. I haven't doubled, but keeping stop losses in place and writing calls whenever possible makes the account go ka-ching.... the caveat is that I have to give it a lot of attention.

For our fastlane master group, I chose the path of trying to make cash from my trading. I haven't exactly met my goal on a consistent basis since my businesses (and a couple of short trips) are demanding a lot more of my time.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I was surprised investment grade corps & Munis (especially munis) are above CD's in terms of saftey/reward.... what was their justification?

Default rates on muni's are .007% with a 70% recovery rate. Even in today's budget crisis', I find it highly unlikely municipalities will default on their bonds and even so, recovery is likely.

Corporate debt was lauded only assuming if you buy the right bond (not a bond fund) but an individual bond. Obviously, if you buy a GM bond or a fund invested in GM bonds, suddenly the risk is intolerable.

Like stocks, you look at companies issuing bonds with the propensity to pay -- examine their balance sheet and look for factors that show liquidity -- free cash flow.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Short answer: Inflation?

I'm not expert at all in this topic. Heck, I barely understand it. But these are indicators to me that inflation is actually happening and just not being reflected by the CPI and PCI (which I never really trust as I studied the way they are calculated and they are just a fake number).

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
30 T Bills get to 4.5%

Analysis?

Other vehicles?

Heard a great Groucho Marx quote the other day. Groucho was touring Wall Street and someone asked him where he invested his money.

He replied, "All in Treasury bonds."

"But they don't make any money!" the inquisitor said.

Groucho replied, "They do if you have enough of them."

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
from randall's article said:
Yields show central bank efforts to unfreeze credit markets are working. The Libor-OIS spread, which measures banks’ willingness to lend, narrowed to 31 basis points, from a record 364 basis points in October.

The average 30-year mortgage rate dropped to 5.14 percent July 16 from 5.20 percent in the week ending July 9, according to mortgage buyer Freddie Mac of McLean Virginia. That’s the third consecutive weekly decline.
Wow, this was some news I didn't know about.

Thanks. :)

-Russ H.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!