The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's stopping you?

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
What's stopping me?

Quick capital without getting a loan. Flipping and day job and trying to wholesale still slow for capital building. I need big facility for my entire business

Waiting on the government to complete my paperwork. Can't do anything about that

Still have to cross learning curve for building website and tax. FBA does not allow me to specifically charge sales tax only for my state, still figuring out how to restrict shipping to certain states in woo commerce. Holdy handy question, does it even matter if I charge sales tax or not for my state (probably low % of sales are going to be in state anyways) because it culmulative correct at the end of the year? Still gotta learn best way to keep track of sales and fees so I can write it all down on tax form. Is there a better way to do this then calculating every expense for every sale (eBay, FBA, website)? I can't imagine a business with thousands of sales every day ecommerce putting every sale data into excel

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
What's stopping me?

Quick capital without getting a loan. Flipping and day job and trying to wholesale still slow for capital building. I need big facility for my entire business

Waiting on the government to complete my paperwork. Can't do anything about that

Still have to cross learning curve for building website and tax. FBA does not allow me to specifically charge sales tax only for my state, still figuring out how to restrict shipping to certain states in woo commerce. Holdy handy question, does it even matter if I charge sales tax or not for my state (probably low % of sales are going to be in state anyways) because it culmulative correct at the end of the year? Still gotta learn best way to keep track of sales and fees so I can write it all down on tax form. Is there a better way to do this then calculating every expense for every sale (eBay, FBA, website)? I can't imagine a business with thousands of sales every day ecommerce putting every sale data into excel

I'm not sure what you're selling and what reasns you need a building and all that, but from the outside looking in it appears it appears you have self-limiting beliefs stopping you.

The tax-issue can be worked out inside woocommerce, simply charge sales tax in your state. FBA has nothing to do with that.

Why not leverage Amazon's warehouses to store your product (or any other outside fulfillment center? What makes you need capital for a building?

What are you waiting on the government before? If you aren't doing some sort of government regulated product, you can start today while you wait on the paperwork. You don't need an LLC to START selling.

The people, in my experience, who just start DOING and figuring out the lesser important details on the way are the ones who succeed. Start selling, and rolling first, then figure out the tax, warehousing, and business structure issue.

Don't be like most people who put the cart before the horse: business, LLC, business cards, etc. before they even start SELLING anything.

I started selling first, then getting my tax and LLC structure in a row once I saw the business would be successful.

chriss.greig

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Nov 16, 2014
Same. Go sell something then sort the details as needed and hire a lawyer to do some of the backbreaking work. ( i thought they would cost more.. who knew!)

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
I'm not sure what you're selling and what reasns you need a building and all that, but from the outside looking in it appears it appears you have self-limiting beliefs stopping you.

The tax-issue can be worked out inside woocommerce, simply charge sales tax in your state. FBA has nothing to do with that.

Why not leverage Amazon's warehouses to store your product (or any other outside fulfillment center? What makes you need capital for a building?

What are you waiting on the government before? If you aren't doing some sort of government regulated product, you can start today while you wait on the paperwork. You don't need an LLC to START selling.

The people, in my experience, who just start DOING and figuring out the lesser important details on the way are the ones who succeed. Start selling, and rolling first, then figure out the tax, warehousing, and business structure issue.

Don't be like most people who put the cart before the horse: business, LLC, business cards, etc. before they even start SELLING anything.

I started selling first, then getting my tax and LLC structure in a row once I saw the business would be successful.

I know the tax issue can be worked out, but it is how. Learning curve for coding is slowing me down dramatically. Searched the web fast, hard to find helpful stuff. I am constantly googling but have been coming empty handed lately.

Already have product in FBA (different business).

Not in my case, I need to build an LLC, licenses, inspections, before I can can sell one product. My product is government regulated. Getting these things aren't false actions. I can't sell until I have all this done. So yeah, kind of sucks that I can't truly test the market until I have invested several thousand into this... Which I have.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Language restrictions hahaha. About to search for threads regarding dealing with Chinese manufacturers.

And also time. I work "FIFO." Fly In Fly Out. We work for 26 days in a row (with a half day off every second sunday) on a desert island off the north west coast of Australia, and then get 9 days off. Crazy pay (the oil and gas industry has some nice golden handcuffs). I've reduced my hours from 12 per day to 10 (don't put my hand up for overtime anymore) and the company I work for is currently in the process of moving from a construction roster (as above) to a production roster (2 weeks on, 2 weeks off), hopefully by Jan/Feb. Otherwise I would be outta here. Every day lately I remind myself time is my most valuable asset, and I'm crazy to keep doing this shit. But the transition ahead seems pretty good!

SmoothFranko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 31, 2015
Australia
What is stopping you, right now, from starting your business?

What is stopping you from making your first sale?

What is stopping you from making the leap?

If you've already started your business, what's stopping you from quitting your job?

What is stopping from doubling your revenues and profits?

I want to know the answers. We can help you. Go.

I don't have a product, I want to find and sell a product related to men's well-being that I can donate some of the proceeds to the Movember Foundation as I recently lost my cousin to testicular cancer (due to a bloodclot) and now my dad is in intensive care with GBS. I don't know what sort of product it will be I just know that I want to tie it into the charity.

I don't have a product.

Why don't I have product you may ask? Well I have been asking myself that question since I thought of the idea after my cousin funeral. The Movember Foundation focus on men's physical and mental health, but the physical health market is incredibly saturated (bodybuilding, fitness, grooming ect) So I had thought about tackling the Mental health side as I personally know quite a few dudes that have suffered from depression or anxiety. But :( as of yet I haven't come up with a product that would help.

I had another Idea for a sort of "Phone a Friend" service were if your feeling down or lonley you could have someone come and hangout with you, so you get to meet new people and have someone just hangout with you. it sounded kinda stupid and the risk seemed very high as they would have to be the right kind of people. Saw this and thought maybe it validated the idea http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/life/millions-of-men-have-no-close-friends-20151116-gl03cp.html

Last edited:

monerap

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Dec 30, 2014
Fear. Fear of failure. I want to be successful. I don't want to fail. I have some plans, Youtube channel, blog, consulting company. But I want to be best. I don't want to be a failure.

alwayshungryleh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Jun 29, 2015
Coding. Every time I dig a little deeper I find more to learn which is good and frustrating at the same time. Started with a book about HTML CSS and then JavaScript. But the PHP is a little more difficult to grasp. I'm having trouble getting the server and MySql working on my computer.
I have tons of ideas though from past frustrations in my life.

Have you tried using Bitnami or Xampp? It downloads the whole server package for you so its really easy to configure.

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York
1. Full knowledge of PHP/JS. Yet I own a web development company was where i freelance wordpress sites. 2. TOO many ideas, I have over 30 notepad files of ideas over the past 12 months, not all solve a need, as I just found this forum and it gave me a reality kick, but some are good ideas as i broke everything down to a science of why something is popular and why it isnt. Right now i have one idea that currently solves a major need in this world. - Teaching my self PHP to execute it, while trying to make money to get out my currenty living situation which is detramental. I always did want to start up an ecommerce business though(want to) key word...Take action guys

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
1. Full knowledge of PHP/JS. Yet I own a web development company was where i freelance wordpress sites. 2. TOO many ideas, I have over 30 notepad files of ideas over the past 12 months, not all solve a need, as I just found this forum and it gave me a reality kick, but some are good ideas as i broke everything down to a science of why something is popular and why it isnt. Right now i have one idea that currently solves a major need in this world. - Teaching my self PHP to execute it, while trying to make money to get out my currenty living situation which is detramental. I always did want to start up an ecommerce business though(want to) key word...Take action guys

Would you be interested in sharing your thoughts on why something is popular or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York
In my opinion, simplicity....Catchy headlines stupid content, things that get people's emotions going, whether its pain or pleasurable

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 11, 2015
I don't want to turn this thread into an advertising one, but I'll answer your question here real quick.

Yes - the only goal you should have, in terms of traffic, is CONVERSIONS. Another common mistake new marketers make is asking someone to do too much. Every advertisement should have ONE goal. I mean - if I see an ad, why do I care about liking you or 10% off if you haven't made me want your offer yet?

Get them to click to your landing page, SELL them, then GIVE them the coupon if you want them to buy.

On the topic of coupons, I would prefer to sell a single product at full price, and incentivize them to buy bundles/more products...in order to increase your average order value. In other words, don't give them a 10% coupon for "free" - or just to do so.

So, I didn't want to post until 'something' changed, and today something has so wanted to stop by and thank you for some simple but effective guidance.

I tried to put it into practice, focused on one advertising stream and focused on fixing the issue that meant that variations of my products weren't able to be selected; a day or two after your message above. Today I got my first 'meaningful' conversion. Full price, several products without any gimicky ads or promotions.

sounds minor - but has made a big impact for my mindset. So a sincere thanks for this thread and your responses

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
And also time. I work "FIFO." Fly In Fly Out. We work for 26 days in a row (with a half day off every second sunday) on a desert island off the north west coast of Australia, and then get 9 days off. Crazy pay (the oil and gas industry has some nice golden handcuffs). I've reduced my hours from 12 per day to 10

Ahh...the golden handcuffs. Seems as if you're on the right track - but my advice is quit sooner than you're expecting to - or at least reduce your hour as much as possible. As you said, TIME is your most valuable asset.

ear. Fear of failure. I want to be successful. I don't want to fail. I have some plans, Youtube channel, blog, consulting company. But I want to be best. I don't want to be a failure.

Do you know what anyone who was ever GREAT at something had in common? They all failed - numerous times and in some case over and over again? Sure, you've seen my favorite Micheal Jordan quote?

JrGUTVu.jpg

I don't think you NEED full knowledge of PHP and JS. I also think you've built yourself a JOB as a freelancer building wordpress sites. Have you read The Millionaire Fastlane yet? If not, do it NOW. It will help you kill the "not-so-good" ideas you may have, and MJ's CENTS / CENTS is worth the price of the book alone.

So, I didn't want to post until 'something' changed, and today something has so wanted to stop by and thank you for some simple but effective guidance.

I tried to put it into practice, focused on one advertising stream and focused on fixing the issue that meant that variations of my products weren't able to be selected; a day or two after your message above. Today I got my first 'meaningful' conversion. Full price, several products without any gimicky ads or promotions.

sounds minor - but has made a big impact for my mindset. So a sincere thanks for this thread and your responses

HELL YEAH - this is why I come here. Your first sale is always the most exhilarating. Keep going man...I see 100+ sales a day in your future!

Last edited by a moderator:

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
This week had been amazing and had a little taste of what being on the fastlane felt like. Yesterday, I sold 25 of the one product I'm selling. im excited to see what's to come in December when I launch 2 more products. I'm one of the slow pokes. I finally saw some type of success (although a small one) after a full year of minimal results! Nothing is going to stop me now... Just have to continue and run through with it.

RadioActive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 12, 2014
Maryland
nothing is stopping me, but there is one thing that is trying to pull me back and that is fear of homelessness.

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York
I don't think you NEED full knowledge of PHP and JS. I also think you've built yourself a JOB as a freelancer building wordpress sites. Have you read The Millionaire Fastlane yet? If not, do it NOW. It will help you kill the "not-so-good" ideas you may have, and MJ's CENTS / CENTS is worth the price of the book alone.

Of course I've read it, I'm "lucky enough" to have TMF be one of the first "business" books I've read, it engrained the solve a need/problem mindset into me right from the start. And yes you're 100% right, I don't need it, I want it. Gary Kellers The One Thing- "If you had one thing, just one thing this week to chose to make the rest of the week easier, what would it be.." - That was my Answer, PHP,JS, as well as Django. Why? Because if I was to take my notepad full of 30 ideas and outsource it all I would spendings thousands I don't have, the benefit of coding will only give me a positive ROI. I also narrowed down my 30 something ideas to two things, my blog and my other site that solves a problem that is currently affecting millions(I can get one of my developers to build it for $800 though). Appreciate the response brother. Always good shit coming from your end.

Last edited by a moderator:

NonMagicalGenie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Dec 13, 2014
Texas

What is stopping you from making the leap?

If you've already started your business, what's stopping you from quitting your job?

What is stopping from doubling your revenues and profits?

I want to know the answers. We can help you. Go.
I came up with this business idea early last year and didn't follow through with it because I didn't truly believe in myself or my capabilities (I was lacking in the mindset department). But now after I changed myself completely physically and mentally during Q3 and Q4 of 2015; which to be honest I wasn't expecting. And telling my parents that I want to carve my own path instead of taking on the path they had carved for me and moving from Virginia to Texas (living with my cousin for the time being); I feel like this is right time to pursue this idea for what its worth and give it a chance. I just don't know how to start on it.

My goal for 2016 is to become financially independent. Right now I'm learning copywriting and am delving into freelancing, but I still fell I need something bigger to pursue along those things. I want to keep myself busy in 2016 and really understand myself and see what I can accomplish. I just don't know where to begin. The product is in a big market, but I've condensed it into one item in that market and added a feature on it. I wouldn't mind telling you if you need more information.

Edit: After thinking about it, I need to have patience and focus on one thing at a time. My mind wonders and goes all over the place and this will not be good for me moving forward.

I'll put more focus on my business idea after I have learned copywriting and have started to make decent money from freelancing.

Last edited:

Wolf0427

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 25, 2016
Western, NY
After a couple months of just lurking I decided to create an account, did not want to post until I had taken some action on something, anything, but this thread feels like it was made specifically for me.

A number of things:

Seems like besides the "No product" issue, being an "introvert" is causing me some issues. I have read every reply in this thread and the reply talking about how introverts hate the spotlight is pretty much me in a nutshell. I do not like attention at all, I would rather be behind the scenes, which is why I believe a physical product sold via internet would be the best for me.

I don't have an issue with sales, I currently work in a sales position (customer service with a huge emphasis on sales*). Phone work, I have a great phone voice (according to customers) and sales just seems to come easy to me if it is something I actually believe in. This falls into the golden handcuffs category as the pay is decent, yet, I HATE IT. If I had enough to cover my bills for even 6 months, I would quit tomorrow. Only thing is, my history of bad decisions have build up a bunch of bad debt, terrible credit. Without my entire life story, had to support 3 children (now 4) and a non working mom since I was about 17. Pretty much the man of the house, (I am 27 now and live alone now) so, 2 rent bills, blah blah blah.

Another thing I would say is fear. As weird as it sounds, this seems to be a pretty significant issue in the kind of neighborhood I grew up in. Fear of making "too much money". I know people who have gotten murdered for having/making too much money, it kind of makes you not want to have that kind of reputation. I guess this is more so why I do not like the spotlight and would rather work behind the scenes.

At the end of the day, I know these are all just excuses, what I am having trouble with is getting pass the excuses I have created. Maybe that is the overall answer to what is stopping me.

If anything, it feels good to actually get these thoughts out of my head and written down.

oimate

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 8, 2015
After a couple months of just lurking I decided to create an account, did not want to post until I had taken some action on something, anything, but this thread feels like it was made specifically for me.

A number of things:

Seems like besides the "No product" issue, being an "introvert" is causing me some issues. I have read every reply in this thread and the reply talking about how introverts hate the spotlight is pretty much me in a nutshell. I do not like attention at all, I would rather be behind the scenes, which is why I believe a physical product sold via internet would be the best for me.

I don't have an issue with sales, I currently work in a sales position (customer service with a huge emphasis on sales*). Phone work, I have a great phone voice (according to customers) and sales just seems to come easy to me if it is something I actually believe in. This falls into the golden handcuffs category as the pay is decent, yet, I HATE IT. If I had enough to cover my bills for even 6 months, I would quit tomorrow. Only thing is, my history of bad decisions have build up a bunch of bad debt, terrible credit. Without my entire life story, had to support 3 children (now 4) and a non working mom since I was about 17. Pretty much the man of the house, (I am 27 now and live alone now) so, 2 rent bills, blah blah blah.

Another thing I would say is fear. As weird as it sounds, this seems to be a pretty significant issue in the kind of neighborhood I grew up in. Fear of making "too much money". I know people who have gotten murdered for having/making too much money, it kind of makes you not want to have that kind of reputation. I guess this is more so why I do not like the spotlight and would rather work behind the scenes.

At the end of the day, I know these are all just excuses, what I am having trouble with is getting pass the excuses I have created. Maybe that is the overall answer to what is stopping me.

If anything, it feels good to actually get these thoughts out of my head and written down.

Wolf-Welcome to the forum (but I suspect you will get alot of hmm shall we say-Constructive criticism coming your way.

My take on you situation is as follows:

1, Who's life are you living? Yours, your mums or your communities?
2, You have 4 kids-Surely you want to be seen as a great example to them?
3, If you read anything of the fastlane forum/book-you'll see that for many including MJ-one change that occured on the path to success was moving!

Regarding the introvert side of you and avoiding the spotlight-You answered your issue yourself-Get your a$$ in gear and sell a product on the internet then-You are also seemingly good on the phone/sales so whats the major issue here-You have sales skills and you also know what you need to be doing to get started! No more excuses or thoughts on why/how your introverted side is holding you back!

You've been the man of the house, pay 2 rents and a father of 4! This shows you arent some layabout mutherFecker who just sits about the house smoking weed and expecting society to give you money and pity you-You are demonstrating you have some worth/Value and the only thing that you really need is FOCUS (and if I can be cheeky..condoms, no more kids until you've got your a$$, mind and shit together OK!)

You live in a neighbourhood where theres a 'fear of making too much money'-Is that the rancid smell of bullshit? If the area is such a dump-Move (regardless if your mum lives there or not)

Why allow a community to define who you are and too stop your own personal growth? Allow me to get a little dark here-How many of these people would come to your funeral? (or would most be staying behind looking to rob your house when your being buried?)

Forget these people and move to a nicer area-Even if rents $50 more a month-You cant continue to allow your environment to define who you (and later your children) are as a person!

Peace out.

Wolf0427

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 25, 2016
Western, NY
Wolf-Welcome to the forum (but I suspect you will get alot of hmm shall we say-Constructive criticism coming your way.

My take on you situation is as follows:

1, Who's life are you living? Yours, your mums or your communities?
2, You have 4 kids-Surely you want to be seen as a great example to them?
3, If you read anything of the fastlane forum/book-you'll see that for many including MJ-one change that occured on the path to success was moving!

Regarding the introvert side of you and avoiding the spotlight-You answered your issue yourself-Get your a$$ in gear and sell a product on the internet then-You are also seemingly good on the phone/sales so whats the major issue here-You have sales skills and you also know what you need to be doing to get started! No more excuses or thoughts on why/how your introverted side is holding you back!

You've been the man of the house, pay 2 rents and a father of 4! This shows you arent some layabout mutherFecker who just sits about the house smoking weed and expecting society to give you money and pity you-You are demonstrating you have some worth/Value and the only thing that you really need is FOCUS (and if I can be cheeky..condoms, no more kids until you've got your a$$, mind and shit together OK!)

You live in a neighbourhood where theres a 'fear of making too much money'-Is that the rancid smell of bullshit? If the area is such a dump-Move (regardless if your mum lives there or not)

Why allow a community to define who you are and too stop your own personal growth? Allow me to get a little dark here-How many of these people would come to your funeral? (or would most be staying behind looking to rob your house when your being buried?)

Forget these people and move to a nicer area-Even if rents $50 more a month-You cant continue to allow your environment to define who you (and later your children) are as a person!

Peace out.

I appreciate everything you are saying and I agree 100%. I think I may have worded my original post incorrectly, I do not have 4 kids lol, My mom, has 5 children (me being the oldest) and I take care of them all. I just feel obligated to support them because Their father is not in the picture (Neither was mine, as he was murdered when I was a baby) I just don't want them to grow up with that same empty feeling, even though I am not their father, I can give some kind of guidance of how to not end up down the wrong path (if that makes any sense).

I have personally moved out of that environment, I have been living on my own for about 6 years (in a better neighborhood) but its a little harder financially to find a place to move my mom and her 4 other children.

Like I said, I know at the root of all of this, these are just excuses, I feel like I know what I need to do in theory, of course I do, it is more so analysis paralysis holding me back/ not knowing WHAT to sell.

Hopefully this does not sound like I am making more excuses, only clarifying my original post.

texus2

Get Rich or Die Tryin’
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 18, 2016
Germany

I have so many ideas, i want to do. A import/export business, a homepage driven by ecommerce, freelancer etc. etc. but i don't have experience in this section - i think i have to read much more threads here..

What's stopping you from quitting your job?

My one and only way to get money in the end of the month is my 7am-5pm job. I have to pay bills, the risk is very high. I know, this sounds like a boring slowlane method, but first of all i want to start things beside my maintime job.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada

I have so many ideas, i want to do. A import/export business, a homepage driven by ecommerce, freelancer etc. etc. but i don't have experience in this section - i think i have to read much more threads here..

You have many ideas? Great! Then you have many opportunities. That's not a road block. Having ZERO ideas is a roadblock. Pick 1 and GO!! Take action and read as you go. There's no greater teacher than experience.

What's stopping you from quitting your job?

My one and only way to get money in the end of the month is my 7am-5pm job. I have to pay bills, the risk is very high. I know, this sounds like a boring slowlane method, but first of all i want to start things beside my maintime job.

That's not slowlane. That's necessity. We all have to eat. Just remember: Your only way now of getting money is 7- 5 job. See your first comment above? That's a potential income stream! Remind me again why you aren't working on it?

4x4ord

It's all about freedom
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Sep 28, 2015
Reading this thread is resonating with me so much because for at least 10 years I had wanted to start a business, but had every reason under the sun not to; not enough money, not enough time, not a good enough idea, no product, not enough experience, not enough expertise, etc. I'm not faulting anyone, because this was me.

I just want to yell at my computer screen, Do SOMETHING! Do one small thing every day. Want to start an ecom business, go to your closet, get a pair of pants and put them on ebay! Will you make a windfall profit? Probably not, will what you learn be more valuable than the pants, for sure! Next, buy 5 of something, anything; spatulas, candles, dog toys ... anything! List and sell them on Amazon. Will you make a profit? Probably not. Will you learn from it, heck ya!

My whole point is, there is never going to be a perfect time, perfect place, right situation, extra money to blow, message from God or opportunity that falls in your lap. You have to take one step at a time, no matter how small. Then just keep taking steps, every single day. I haven't "made it", but I'm miles beyond where I thought I'd be when I was making excuses not to start.

Anyhow, now that my rant is done, my next step is leaving my job. My target is $4k profit per month, that gives me $2k to cover the mortgage and eat, and $2k for business growth. My goal is to hit that in 6 months. I've got a lot of unknowns to get there, but it's all about small steps.

Last edited:

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Reading this thread is resonating with me so much because for at least 10 years I've wanted to start a business, but had every reason under the sun not to; not enough money, not enough time, not a good enough idea, no product, not enough experience, not enough expertise, etc. I'm not faulting anyone, because this was me.

I just want to yell at my computer screen, Do SOMETHING! Do one small thing every day. Want to start an ecom business, go to your closet, get a pair of pants and put them on ebay! Will you make a windfall profit? Probably not, will what you learn be more valuable than the pants, for sure! Next, buy 5 of something, anything; spatulas, candles, dog toys ... anything! List and sell them on Amazon. Will you make a profit? Probably not. Will you learn from it, heck ya!

My whole point is, there is never going to be a perfect time, perfect place, right situation, extra money to blow, message from God or opportunity that falls in your lap. You have to take one step at a time, no matter how small. Then just keep taking steps, every single day. I haven't "made it", but I'm miles beyond where I thought I'd be when I was making excuses not to start.

Anyhow, now that my rant is done, my next step is leaving my job. My target is $4k profit per month, that gives me $2k to cover the mortgage and eat, and $2k for business growth. My goal is to hit that in 6 months. I've got a lot of unknowns to get there, but it's all about small steps.

You have no idea how much this response helped me at the current moment. In the end, I am the only thing stopping myself. I need to get out of my own way.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I was going to reply to you guys, but it looks like other members are adding some incredible value over here. I will definitely continue to check this thread...so post up.

pgtownsyou

Forge Ahead
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Oct 29, 2013
Minnesota
Hey Jason! Thanks for posting this thread and helping everyone out. Right now I own a brand of private label products that I'm importing from China.

Sales on Amazon have been great! However, the thing holding me back from making the next big leap in sales is conversions on my website. I'm spending a lot of money right now on Facebook ads trying to narrow down who my best target audience will be. I'm struggling to break even with this because FB has so many targeting options, I don't even know where to begin with A/B testing of my target audience. Currently I'm seeing 1.5% of customers added something to their cart, 0.5% reached checkout, and 0.33% purchased. I know you have a lot of FB advertising experience so any tips would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

I have no execution skills. I realized that not so long ago. I'm having trouble to just find a manufacturer to ask if my product can be built and get a few samples to validate my idea.

Also I give up to daily exhaustion everyday when I should push through for at least an hour a night. Feels like I'm pretending to smile and have energy everyday to do my day to day things and right when I go thru my door I just melt on the couch.

I can't make good habits stick.

On the days I can slow down and try to be mindful (days off, weekends, days without husband) I find I'm more productive but sticking to it through the week is a challenge.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.