The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's Safer - Flipping Houses or Buying Rentals

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
I recently commented on a conversation here on Fastlane which in so many ways posed the question – which is better, income-producing property or flips?

A few thoughts - hopefully some of you some a bit of value here:

First of all, to ask whether buy and hold is a better strategy than flipping is akin to asking:

Which one is better – Saturn or Venus…​

They have no points of contact (almost, but that's too sophisticated for now). In their pure forms, the two strategies accomplish different investment objectives, produce different type of income which is taxed differently, require different skill-sets from an investor, and are guided and limited by separate economic realities.

To ask which is better is sort of senseless – they coexist happily, but accommodate different groups of investors, in different locations, and with differing objectives.

When answering questions like this, meaning, questions of such general nature whereby an answer could easily become a 20,000-word eBook, I find it best just to cut to the chase – what is most important…?!

In this particular case, since potentially big money is involved in either case, what I think is most important is safety – make sure you don’t lose, and then worry about winning. I don’t know if you agree, and I don’t much care, but not losing is my number one concern with everything I do in RE investing. This is one reason my investors like me :) (the other reason is that I am so damn good-looking)

So – What’s safer, income property or flip?

The answer actually depends on lots of factors, a fair number of which are economic and outside of investor’s control. But, the basic underwriting is with respect to margins in both cases. In other words, what is the minimum potential underwritten profit margin whereby if everything went wrong you are sufficiently buffered against loss…?

Flips

How much profit on paper in your underwriting do you need to start with so that everything can go wrong and you still won’t lose money? Is it $10,000? Is it $20,000? Is it $50,000? Is it $75,000?

I am in Lima, OH – small town in the rust belt which has gone nowhere for 20 years. I do not flip – period. Why – because a typical house that I would flip retails for $80,000 - $120,000, and as you can imagine, the typical profit margin is $15,000.

Folks – I can’t even take a leak on a sidewalk for $15,000, let alone do a quality rehab. $15,000 margin is not nearly high enough to underwrite safety or justify the risk involved. This money could be gone in a blink of an eye…

If I could routinely underwrite $75,000 - $100,000 profit margins, I’d be doing flips. Such as it is – no thanks!

What About Income Property

Well, while things are rather cut and dry with flips as it relates to safety, when we talk income things get a bit more complex. The common wisdom would tell us that Cash Flow in and of itself is a safety mechanism in that it potentially allows us to hold property for an unspecified period of time while we wait for the right conditions to sell. Common wisdom would dictate that equity really doesn’t matter, since the reason we’ve bought the property was Cash Flow…

In principle, this common wisdom is not wrong - it's not right either. Indeed, income in excess of expenses does add tremendous safety to a purchase. And, sure, if we want to live off the cash flow, then the cash flow itself constitutes the underlying value of safety, and indeed ROI.

However, there are a lot of caveats and exceptions. Why – because not everything that cash flows will make money. Why – because not all cash flow is real…

But, with those last 2 statements we are venturing into the very sophisticated world of IRR underwriting and discounting of future cash flows to NPV - too much horse power for this thread. In the most general terms, if I were to name a purchase price-point relative to income that is “safe”, with the caveat that you’ve picked the right kind of property in the first place, I’d say – if you pay a factor of no more than 9.5 CAP on “real” NOI you should be safe…

Having said this, however, I must tell you that this is not full-proof. Capitalization Rate is a static metric, which makes it somewhat ineffective at valuing income property. Cap Rate is best used to measure the behavior in the marketplace, and not that of a specific asset. In order to get to the bottom of determining values of future potential cash flows represented by a specific asset denominated in today's dollars, the best place to go is indeed Internal Rate of Return (IRR), which I mentioned earlier. But, I won’t try to tackle that here…

So – What’s Safer?

Both are safe if you do them right. But, in order to do both right, you must receive permission of the marketplace. Not all markets will allow you to do a flip, and if you force it, you’ll get burned. The same is true for income-producing real estate, although to a lesser extent since I’ll take a 6/5% real cap with 20% back end appreciation over a strictly cash flow 10 cap any day of the week and twice on Sunday!

Much more can and should be said, but I am a busy guy. Hope this helps :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I’ll take a 6/5% real cap with 20% back end appreciation over a strictly cash flow 10 cap any day of the week and twice on Sunday!
Agree. And I will take a 0% cap rate if I can make 300% on my money in 2 years.

Investing for straight cashflow is a slow growth game. Gambling for appreciation will not work without luck.

Forced appreciation is the way to go with apartments. Single family homes are a different game altogether.

I have used IRR in my calculations in the past. The entire routine has been simplified to:

• Cost
  • Money needed to improve
  • cashflow projection
  • Value when complete
  • Time to complete
These are simple calculations.

Also, looking forward at the direction of the market is helpful. You don't want to buy into a strong rental market and sell in a weak one.

G

Guest3722A

Ben, thanks for all the info and insight into your investment philosophy. I really like how meticulous and calculated you are, and I would really like to get my mind up to that level.

What I've been piecing together and working towards is getting into my first multi-unit (3+ preferrably) and then after adding value to it, trade up to something larger after capturing the tax benefit. Then wash, rinse, repeat. Per SteveO's recommendations here on the forum, I just finished reading Buying and Selling Apartment Buildings, by Steve Berges and I'm about half way through How to Buy and Sell Apartment Buildings, by Eugene Vollucci.

Although green, I get it and really like this way of identifying markets and market cycles and trading up towards larger properties after adding value. I've also been in contact with buyer's agents and have looked at some multi-families and one in particular is a 3-plex with a Michigan basement and in one of the units the current owner was in process of fixing the plumbing issues and the story is that he had a stroke and is now trying to off it for 20k cash. Everything needs to get updated and two of the units are livable, and it's in a very nice and relaxing area two blocks off of the water with Canada views on the other side. Very low crime but also quite old area. Interesting situation but feels a bit off, y'know.

I've also been looking at others in different areas and have found some other interesting ones -all land contract properties- as that's the only way I see possible with my limited knowledge and current situation. Basically I'm trying to get that first leg up in this game utilizing my available resources. One more thing to add here is I don't mind commercial either with a mixed use but with apartment as I kinda get the feel that commercial may be slowly picking up here as well and a few years ago I leased my way up to an 18,000+ sq ft industrial building where I built 42 lockouts to rent to bands and musicians on month to month agreements.

So, I was wondering if you had any book/reading/any recommendations you believe would be beneficial to my journey, and out of curiosity if you were just getting started with this but had the knowledge you currently have but without a network of investors (as I don't have that yet), how you would approach and execute my particular situation which is basically trying to get away with $10k ish out of pocket, and 'free' as I'm not tied down to any location. I'm just looking to get that first leg up and interested in what you'd have to say.

Last, I'd also like to add that if you needed any help/had interest in Michigan I have a pretty good feel for what's going on here and I'd be happy to help any way I can. Please feel free to pm if this is an interest.

Thanks in advance.

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
Ben, thanks for all the info and insight into your investment philosophy. I really like how meticulous and calculated you are, and I would really like to get my mind up to that level.

What I've been piecing together and working towards is getting into my first multi-unit (3+ preferrably) and then after adding value to it, trade up to something larger after capturing the tax benefit. Then wash, rinse, repeat. Per SteveO's recommendations here on the forum, I just finished reading Buying and Selling Apartment Buildings, by Steve Berges and I'm about half way through How to Buy and Sell Apartment Buildings, by Eugene Vollucci.

Although green, I get it and really like this way of identifying markets and market cycles and trading up towards larger properties after adding value. I've also been in contact with buyer's agents and have looked at some multi-families and one in particular is a 3-plex with a Michigan basement and in one of the units the current owner was in process of fixing the plumbing issues and the story is that he had a stroke and is now trying to off it for 20k cash. Everything needs to get updated and two of the units are livable, and it's in a very nice and relaxing area two blocks off of the water with Canada views on the other side. Very low crime but also quite old area. Interesting situation but feels a bit off, y'know.

I've also been looking at others in different areas and have found some other interesting ones -all land contract properties- as that's the only way I see possible with my limited knowledge and current situation. Basically I'm trying to get that first leg up in this game utilizing my available resources. One more thing to add here is I don't mind commercial either with a mixed use but with apartment as I kinda get the feel that commercial may be slowly picking up here as well and a few years ago I leased my way up to an 18,000+ sq ft industrial building where I built 42 lockouts to rent to bands and musicians on month to month agreements.

So, I was wondering if you had any book/reading/any recommendations you believe would be beneficial to my journey, and out of curiosity if you were just getting started with this but had the knowledge you currently have but without a network of investors (as I don't have that yet), how you would approach and execute my particular situation which is basically trying to get away with $10k ish out of pocket, and 'free' as I'm not tied down to any location. I'm just looking to get that first leg up and interested in what you'd have to say.

Last, I'd also like to add that if you needed any help/had interest in Michigan I have a pretty good feel for what's going on here and I'd be happy to help any way I can. Please feel free to pm if this is an interest.

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like you're taking some action! Couple of things:
1. Owner-financing is not only not your only option, but it's likely not the best option either in most cases. Watch this:

2. $10,000 is plenty, as long as you don't rely on it for down-payment. No Money Down will not make you rich, but it'll get your foot in the door. The answer is OPM.

3. If you are interested in my take on the ins and outs of small mid-size multi-plex, please check out my CFFU - it is quite a complete source of actionable information on the subject. I am not linking it, as I don't want to be "pushy" but I do think a lot of your questions will be answered. Just go to my website.

4. I am always interested in leads on deals. If you come across something in the 100 door range I'd be happy to underwrite and see if we can take action. Deals are hard to come by...

Hope this helps.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest3722A

Heading to your website in a few and I'll definitely find something for you to look at out here at around 100 doors. I'm sure it'll take a little time but I'm good at deal hunting. May take months, may take weeks but I'm on it. Thanks again.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.