The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What would you think and do if you were in this situation?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Levson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 7, 2014
Yesterday, my sister asked me why I spend so much time in my own room, instead of with the family and friends, as in the past (just a couple of weeks ago). According to her, I have also become more serious, quiet and "less fun overally". She told me she thought I was, either depressed, or addicted to some online game.

I informed her I'm simply studying for my high school final exams, but what I'm actually doing is read lots of books e.g. the Millionaire Fastlane . I also spend a lot of time reading useful threads. I actually prefer doing this rather than socializing nowadays, with the sole purpose of one day launching a successful biz myself and to drive that white, shiny Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 or the exotic Koenigsegg Agera S Hundra.

While it is true that I laugh less nowadays, I'm convinced that it's worth it and that I'm doing the right thing (for myself), and at this very moment I don't care about my parents and sister and friends as much as before. I don't think that's bad. What I do worry about though, is whether, 15 years from now, I will regret for not having had more fun with my sister and parents, who are getting older and older, or not. It also doesn't help that my best friends' mother just died in a car accident, which I realized could abruptly happen to my loved ones too.

So that evening, I proposed to my sister and parents we could go to the cinema and watch the new Spartans movie, which we did, and it was fun as hell. However, the next day, after school and going to the gym, I spent the whole day reading books and threads including JackEdwards' gold thread, which I enjoyed even more. And now, I'm just slightly confused.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
So, the problem is that you're reading instead of building a business?

Kidding, I had to.

Actually, the same thing has happened to me recently with my wife. Except she knows what I'm actually doing.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Sounds like you need to find some balance in your life. Learning and doing are important, but so is family time and fun. Perhaps try setting aside a chunk of time on the weekends that is just family fun time.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
So, the problem is that you're reading instead of building a business?

Kidding, I had to.

Actually, that makes sense. He can do all the reading in the world, but nothing beats experience.

3 years ago I spent an entire year in my room stressing out over web design. I after meeting some people and realizing that I was actually hurting myself, I moved out and started failing at shit. Best decision ever.

Don't get me wrong, reading is important. It seems like we have lot of traffic in Philly, so I take that time to read audio books or practice cold calling when i can't work on my biz in the car.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
You had a little balance and enjoyed it for a bit. That's good thing.
You're growing and enjoying it a bit more. That's a good thing to.
I don't think that you actually care less for your family now, your just growing and learning new stuff.

You're young and stuff is coming at you fast these days. Lighten up and enjoy it while you still have the reflexes to move fast.

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
Like someone else said, you need to find balance. I think that it's good that you are studying and reading but it is not good that you are shutting out your family or that you aren't laughing as much. It's great to work hard, to study, to read...etc but it's also good to spend time with people that you love, to laugh, and to have fun.

In high school it sounds like I was somewhat similar to you. I genuinely preferred staying home as opposed to going out with friends, I hated school and so instead of doing homework I spent a lot of my free time reading about investing. But I was able to put the book down and go running with my dog, or go to the movies with my dad, or go hangout with my little brother or my sisters....I made it a point to get off of my computer, put whatever I was doing on hold, and spend time with the people I love which are my family and my dog.

If you can't find that balance, you are going to get burnt out and you are going to drive yourself insane. Not only that, but your family will be sick of being put on the back burner and will stop trying to stay close with you. And what's the point of being successful if you can't share it with people you are close to

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
You will do what you want to do. That is the beauty of it all. If you are enjoying this study time, then do it. Take the next step when you are ready.

Just don't completely neglect your relationships. They needs maintenance to keep going.

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
Not a problem. We all experience this. Some of my friends who would LOVE to think they are Entrepreneurs (wantapreneurs) at best, will waste their time tanning and primping for the boyfriend.

Which is by all means fine. You gotta show him love too ;) however this is why building a business takes a commitment.

It's balance. Spend one day out of the week with the famo and the other, reading.

Oh and please DO implement after you read. Its nonsense reading text and let all that latent money sit in your head.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
Everyone has given you wonderful advice from finding balance to taking action. I'm just impressed and proud of you (even though I don't know you) of beginning in this direction at such a young age. Your friends may think you're wasting your time but you'll be their envy before long.

I'll clarify what it means, in my experience, to find balance. Because that term is thrown around a lot but no one truly achieves it. True BALANCE is a myth our lives are spent in the pursuit of balance and only by pursuing balance will we find our lives in order. You'll always spend more time and resources on one thing and then the next month you'll spend it on another. So don't worry about perfecting it, just pursue it.

The most unsuccessful people focus on stress relieving activities and see working on something or a job as an obstacle to their 'fun time.' On the flip slide the most successful people focus on goal achieving activities and see anything outside of what they are working on as a distraction (don't worry this is normal) it's how successful people handle it that assist in their pursuit of the coveted balance. Successful people set specific time aside for leisure they work hard before and after that specific time.

So like others have suggested a friday night or saturday with family is a great time to set aside JUST for them and nothing else.

This leads to the other point I believe is extremely important in work and especially leisure. BE PRESENT. When you are working that is all you need to think about and concentrate on, box everything else up in your mind and set it to the side. The opposite is also true. When you're enjoying family time don't think about your reading or your work (otherwise there's no point in setting aside time). If you can learn to separate the two and be truly engaged in whatever activity you're involved in you will be pursuing balance in an excellent way. Being present is how you make memories, enjoy experiences, and make a successful business.

Good luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.