The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What would you suggest me?

Frankie Relax

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
May 1, 2015
Italy
I have the chance to attend a six-month course, for free (it's all funded by the State).

This course can be done anywhere in the world and can be about anything, from ag to high tech, from marketing to industrial automation, and so on.

Obviously I don't wanna miss the chance to do it, but I'm pretty confusing about what to do and where to go.

First, I need to dedice where to go. I'm Italian and have the possibility to attend many course here in Italy, but I could go abroad as well. Both choices have their pros and cons.

Italy:

PROS:
- Less expensive travel (or no travel at all)
- The course would be done in my mothertongue, so it will be easy to understand what teachers will say.
- I would stay near my parents, relatives, etc.

CONS:
- I would remain in my "comfort zone" (NEVER gone abroad so far...)
- I would not grab the opportunity to learn a new language or to improve my English.
- I'm very disappointed by courses I already attended here in Italy. I just learnt nothing from them.

Abroad:
The pros and cons of going abroad will be just the opposite of staying here in Italy. Thus, I would pay more for the travel, I could have more difficulties to learn something because the course won't be done in Italian.
Anyway, I'm thrilled of going abroad because I'd like to see new places, learn new languages, meet new people and get out my comfort zone.

To express my opinion, I'd prefer to go abroad...

Once decided where to go, I should decide what to do.
Here, there are 3 main options in my opinion:

- Attend a high-level specialized course in Italy.
- Attend a high-level specialized course abroad (I'm afraid of not understanding it, though).
- Attend just a language course abroad.

What would you suggest me to do?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Weighted average decision matrix: Decision Matrix Analysis: Making a Decision by Weighing Up Different Factors

Also, if I had the chance to choose between technical/industry specific knowledge and language, I'd choose industry knowledge. It's typically harder/more expensive to come by. No bias against language learning, I've done it in 3 different countries, but it's my industry knowledge that gives me value in the marketplace.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
To express my opinion, I'd prefer to go abroad...

Then you've already made your decision?

As for course material, marketing and sales are skills you can take with you throughout life -- it goes beyond a career.

Frankie Relax

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
May 1, 2015
Italy
Then you've already made your decision?

No, MJ, not yet.

Because I haven't figured out yet what I should give more importance to: the "travel" part or the "course" part.
In other words, if it's more important to go abroad, meet new people, see new places, know how is to be far from home, learn a new language, etc. OR to to learn new skills thru a course.

In my heart I wanna go abroad. No doubt about it.

Obviously I know the forum can't and don't have to decide for me.

I just wanted your thoughts, wise men and women.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
No, MJ, not yet.

Because I haven't figured out yet what I should give more importance to: the "travel" part or the "course" part.
In other words, if it's more important to go abroad, meet new people, see new places, know how is to be far from home, learn a new language, etc. OR to to learn new skills thru a course.

In my heart I wanna go abroad. No doubt about it.

Obviously I know the forum can't and don't have to decide for me.

I just wanted your thoughts, wise men and women.
If you go abroad, you'll also learn from that experience.

Frankie Relax

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
May 1, 2015
Italy
Weighted average decision matrix: Decision Matrix Analysis: Making a Decision by Weighing Up Different Factors

Also, if I had the chance to choose between technical/industry specific knowledge and language, I'd choose industry knowledge. It's typically harder/more expensive to come by. No bias against language learning, I've done it in 3 different countries, but it's my industry knowledge that gives me value in the marketplace.

I already knew that matrix from TMF book. I should also consider to think about the worst thing it could happen. Thank you for the refreshment.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.