The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What would you go with $150k?

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
No offense your question is extremely general, as a result your getting general responses. Since you asked a general question I just assumed you didn't know much and were just curious.

SteveO did a very specific type of apartment investing, as did Gus, as I said above there are many, many different aspects of real estate.

Steve and Gus bought undervalued and under performing buildings and turned them around, what they did requires a lot of expertise and cash, but you certainly can do it. Since you already are involved in real estate I assume you know any building over 5 units is commercial and you will need to put at least 30% down and have strong cash reserves and a bit of a history in the business to get a bank to lend to you. Anything less than 5 is residential lending.

How much research have you done on your local market? What is the supply of rentals at different price points look like? What's on your local MLS in regards to multi unit buildings?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
I can't answer for anyone else but if I had that kind of money I would probably find 2-3 internet start-ups I really believed in and invested in them, getting as many shares of the business as possible.

That's what I would do personally. I think a lot of people would take $150k and spend it on toys to make themselves look rich. I would invest it into start-ups. Riskier, but that's just me.

ChrisRempel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Mar 1, 2011
Victoria BC
I can't answer for anyone else but if I had that kind of money I would probably find 2-3 internet start-ups I really believed in and invested in them, getting as many shares of the business as possible.

As an internet guy myself, I would be pretty cautious about doing that.

Internet startups are still a dime a dozen. But people who actually know what they're doing and have a track record are very, very rare.

Rarer still is someone experienced, has a track record and is doing something they're already good at in the same market as where they've had previous success - where you can buy in as a shareholder.

If you find a company whose directorate meets those parameters, THEN - put it on your shortlist for further due diligence.

The uptake is huge, but the odds are bad.

Not trying to discourage - just the opposite. I'm saying you've got to look HARD, but doing so is well worth your while.

-Chris

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.