The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What would you do with 100k that you were about to 1031 Exchange? (Whats the fastlane way)

21elnegocio

WholeFlips Wholesaling Houses Virtually
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Hello Guys,

If you were about to 1031 exchange a couple of properties and they are about to profit you 100k, what would you 1031 exchange that money into? In other words what strategy would you use to turn that 100k into more profit faster ?

-Would you buy 1 single family home ?

-1 townhouse or condo ?

-3 townhouses ($32,333 down into each townhouse) ?

-1 Triplex ?

Please explain your answer, the goal is to create 100k into 500k the fastest way possible.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BrandonS85

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Sep 8, 2015
Ohio USA
Hello Guys,

If you were about to 1031 exchange a couple of properties and they are about to profit you 100k, what would you 1031 exchange that money into? In other words what strategy would you use to turn that 100k into more profit faster ?

-1 townhouse or condo ?

-1 Triplex ?

Please explain your answer, the goal is to create 100k into 500k the fastest way possible.
Underperforming rentals that can be developed for higher income. Make more money, 1031 again.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Do you currently have debt on the properties that are selling?

I just sold a small commercial strip mall. No exchange this time. It feels like taking the tax hit and waiting for a less heated market is in order. Much easier to buy distressed properties when there are less buyers.

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
I sold a property about 2 years ago and took the tax hit, intending to use the funds to do some flip projects with a realtor friend. After the sale when it was too late to do a 1031, she was looking for properties and informed me the market was just not cooperating for flip opportunities. But I didn't know where else to put the $$ so I bought another single-family house. Might not have been optimal, but it's worked out well -- I get about 7.2%/yr rent (gross), and Zillow sez it's gone up 20% in 2 years. My renter has said she'd like to buy it, so I could get out pretty easily, but then what do I do with the cash? I think I'll probably hang onto it, hoping that northern CO real estate will continue to be a pretty solid bet even if the market softens. I may regret that decision if the local market tanks, but it's never done that before, so...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hello Guys,

-1 townhouse or condo ?

-1 Triplex ?

$100k gain is only a $20k tax hit. Not enough to move me into something just to save the money. I think it would be wrong to bank on appreciation right now in AZ.

21elnegocio

WholeFlips Wholesaling Houses Virtually
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
$100k gain is only a $20k tax hit. Not enough to move me into something just to save the money. I think it would be wrong to bank on appreciation right now in AZ.

Thank you for your guys feedback.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.