The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What WAS your why not?

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
I just started a thread asking fellow members what they are allowing to hold them back. For those of you who have made it out-
What were you allowing to hold you back before you broke free?
What did you have to sacrifice? i.e. family, friends, sanity, health
What allowed you to break free of this?
Was the sacrifice worth it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
-The biggie: "Not enough TIME". Someone once told me if you really don't want to do something, that's the #1 excuse everyone uses.

They said, "You still have time to eat and sleep, right? Done any shopping or watch TV lately?

Busted. :smx8:

The other one was FEAR. Only it doesn't look like fear until you're on the other end. While you're living with fear, it's just a small, silent, powerful force that stops you from reaching your true potential. Kinda like being tied down, but since you've always been tied down, you aren't aware of it until it's gone.

Once it's gone, you feel like a bird. Like the world is a zillion times bigger, and more beautiful, and more exciting.

Cool stuff.

Sacrified (if you can call it that):

Cutting out stuff that was fun, but didn't enrich my life as much as moving forward:

-Watching TV (we have NO TV service at our house, haven't for years)
-Playing video games (I *love, love* video games). Haven't played in decades.
-Sleep (thought this would be a big deal, until I got used to it. Your body changes when you're a parent)
-Working on my cars (I love this, it's like therapy for me). Postponed til retirement.
-Watching music videos and just sitting/listening to music (remember, I loved music so much I made it my life's work) :)
Still listen, but always doing paperwork or other things at the same time. Get to sit and listen when I retire.
-Going to a movie. Gave this up when we had KT. Actually, gave much of this up when I started dating Sharon, to free up
time to just talk w/each other.

Easy: We want to spend time w/our family.

The sooner we get done w/our PLAN, the more time we'll have 100% for our kids.

Current timeline is 3-5 years, at which point we'll have $200K+/yr in passive income.

BTW, Sharon spends, on average, about 5-6 hours/day w/KT-- totally focused on her, not doing anything else. I spend 1-3 hours/day (5 days/wk) w/KT or KT and Sharon, not counting the night shift (8 pm to 8 am), which I do exclusively.

We also take at least 1 day/wk and spend 12-18 hrs w/KT.

So while we have sitters/nannies and will soon have daycare to help us, we do spend a lot of quality time with our little one. :)

That's the weird thing. It hasn't been a sacrfice. Identifying what was most important allowed us to stop doing the "fill" that so many people clutter their lives with.

Imagine if, starting tonight, you never watched TV ever again. How many hours a year would that give you back?

When you identify what's truly important in your life, making these changes is easy. Because it's no longer a sacrfice.

It's changing your life for the better. :banana:

-Russ H.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I just started a thread asking fellow members what they are allowing to hold them back. For those of you who have made it out-

My own ignorance.

I ended up with a divorce. My ex had a lot of trouble with risk taking and I did not want to live without that excitement and challenge. We just grew apart. But my children are a lot more financially educated than they would have been otherwise.

I still have most of my old friends although I no longer live close to them. I do have some friends that I hang around with from this forum. I don't exactly see the relevance of losing friends as a result of making money. I hang with people mostly based on interests such as golf, running, money matters (new friends mostly), etc...

Absolutely. I would never even dream of returning to my old life.

NerdSmasher

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 31, 2007
My age. my intelligence level (financially, according to the school system, I'm a genius! lol), friends - at my age they don't think anything is possible... dumbasses. And, probably some other factors held me back as well, but eventually I found that I can still do what I want at my age, and I learned what I needed to know to do so.

The only thing I've really lost, other than some money, would be different social experiences I would have had if I weren't in my basement reading about the stock market, business, real estate, etc. Sadly, I think I will eventually lose some of my friends because of my success... judging by the fact that my friends got mad at me when I was making money with a website, and kept badgering me to tell them how to do the same. I tried to help them, but I wasn't going to build the site for them... and none of them could do what I did. I think some of them might still be upset about that.

My sacrifice certainly has been worth it, for in a few years, I'm sure I'll be living a completely free life... well, I'll be able to work if I choose to, not be forced to, sort of life :)

Nice post Kurt!

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
Humm, this is interesting I think the thing that hold many people and was my downfall was the issue of Fear of Control.
I believe there are two kinds of people when it comes to control:

Those who want total control of every little thing: and are held back because they won't emplower their team to handle even little things. ( S people)

Those who don't want to control anything and they give over their life to their job and it's their bosses fault that they don't succeed. (E people)

It is very hard to break lose of either one of these problems.
I personally think it is harder to break from being an S than an E because S people usually do see a certain amount of success and therefore they have the belief that if they can just control one more thing they will win, and when they get control of that thing, the next thing comes along.
My DH & I both had the S personality from early on, that in itself was difficult because we both wanted to be in control and finding a way to share control with each other had to be accomplished before we could even begin to think of empowering our team.

Maybe because we never had the E mindset, I don't see the true difficulty in breaking out of the E mindset but anyway the answer to your question is Fear of Losing or taking Control of your life.

Janet

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Good points, Janet.

I was never a good "E". Too many issues w/authority, following rules that made no sense, and seeing other fellow Es who just slid by, and didn't give a cr*p about the business.

I am a total "S" ;) (ask anyone who knows me!)

Stubborn, Opinionated, Passionate, Expert, Work crazy long hours, and had the mantra "If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself."

Sheesh.

Got busted on this when I first read RK's Cashflow Quadrant.

A very difficult read for me.

When I started the book, I was a self-made successful entrepeneur with my own business.

By the time I finished, I was an "S" who had bought myself a J.O.B. for life, and was never gonna get very far, very fast.

Same guy. Different POV.

Worth it for how it changed my life, though. :banana:

-Russ H.

ErikV10

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 2, 2007

One word. FEAR. I was always scared on what the outcome of my business will be. I'm always thinking that its not going to do good until Peter2 told me that time is never right.. that if I wait for the lights to turn green, I'm going to stay home for the rest of my life. That made me think of the consequences if I don't start now.

I'm so happy I did because I just started the biz and its doing pretty well.

The only thing I did was instead of watching TV or sitting around after school, I worked on my website instead.

$$$

It wasn't really a sacrifice but I think using my in a more productive way is definitely worth it. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.