The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What type of room addition to build?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I've got a dilemma.... I have a 2500sf home in Scottsdale,AZ. It's currently 3br, 2ba. I have enough space to cram in probably another 1000sf on my lot and still have a huge backyard.

Homes in the area are selling for around $220/sf. So my house is worth $550,000 right now. The area does support home prices up to $850k.

Some here is my dilemma on what to build. Give the assumption that every option costs the same to build what do you think would give you the best return?
  1. Separate detached guest house (1bd/1ba/sm. kitchen) w/carport - 400sf
  2. Standard addition, 2 bedroom, jack/jill bath, hometheater room - 650sf
  3. Standard addition, 2 smaller br, jack/jill bath, ht room, 2 car garage - 550sf
  4. Go big, add 1000sf :)

BTW, I'm estimating about $100/sf to build the additions, no fancy upgrades.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jason_MI

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 25, 2007
Well, quite frankly, lets start with the purpose of this addition; is it because you intend to live there for two years and increase the value? Because your family needs more room? Because you want something specific (e.g., media room, etc.).

Also, what do you currently have and what sells in your area? I ask this, because in my area, if you wanted to increase resale and didn't have one, it'd be a no-brainer to go for the garage. Absolutely. But in a warm climate like yours, that might not be as important.

Also, where are you getting the sq ft figures from?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I live here and intend to live here for a few years. I don't need the addition for living purposes. I just have an empty side lot and would like to add value.

The sf numbers are just based on what I'd build. My main goal in sf is to get it to above 3,000sf total.

I really think I need to add an additional garage. The 800k+ homes in the neighborhood all have 3 car garages. Plus I'd like the extra storage space.

I've attached an aerial shot of the house.

emorgan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jul 24, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
both

Hey remember we were talking about how homes were trending towards having two master bedrooms? Can you add a master and a third car garage?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've got a dilemma.... I have a 2500sf home in Scottsdale,AZ. It's currently 3br, 2ba. I have enough space to cram in probably another 1000sf on my lot and still have a huge backyard.

Homes in the area are selling for around $220/sf. So my house is worth $550,000 right now. The area does support home prices up to $850k.

Some here is my dilemma on what to build. Give the assumption that every option costs the same to build what do you think would give you the best return?
  1. Separate detached guest house (1bd/1ba/sm. kitchen) w/carport - 400sf
  2. Standard addition, 2 bedroom, jack/jill bath, hometheater room - 650sf
  3. Standard addition, 2 smaller br, jack/jill bath, ht room, 2 car garage - 550sf
  4. Go big, add 1000sf :)

BTW, I'm estimating about $100/sf to build the additions, no fancy upgrades.

Bio I didn't know you lived out here!

As for the Q, hard to say without seeing your layout ... but I second Erin: Id go w/another master suite and add a garage. Not sure if "casitas" add value ... maybe an experience realtor in Scottsdale would know since they are popular out there.

Keep us updated!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
MJ,

I moved out here 3 years ago. Just moved to Scottsdale from the westside in April. Been hanging out with SteveO at the golf course. :bgh: lol

Erin, MJ:

I've been thinking of an additional masterbr but that would mean another fancy bathroom and large walkin closet. I didnt want to go too fancy on the bathroom due to budget reasons. Also, this mbr wouldn't have any decent window views, so that's why i was thinking of just regular bedrooms.

emorgan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jul 24, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
What!?

The view of rocks and bushes is fabulous. What are you talking about Kdog.

Maybe Casita is something to look into- is that sort of like a mother in law quarters? (failed Spanish, only learned "Donde esta los banos por favor)

Lost my mind, I'll be heading to bed now...

:leaving:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
one now, one later?

If you are planning to stay there for long time then why not just add the garage for now and, when really thinking about moving, get heads on on the MBr addition? Yes, I know, maybe dealing with two separate projects at once is not a great idea, but that way you don't have to front the expense now.

By the way Erin, Casita means "little house"

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
my 2 cents

I would call 2 appraisers (because I am skeptical) and get their opinion on your options and ask them what would increase value according to comps in the area.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I would love to build just a garage now. However, once that is built, it would block construction access to the back of it. I'd probably have to demolish the new garage to build the addition. So... I'm gonna build it all at the same time.

I attached a new picture below.

Red is the new garage
Blue is room addition
Brown is a patio

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Ok, I couldn't attach it to the post above so here it is.

Jason_MI

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 25, 2007
I would love to build just a garage now. However, once that is built, it would block construction access to the back of it. I'd probably have to demolish the new garage to build the addition. So... I'm gonna build it all at the same time.

I attached a new picture below.

Red is the new garage
Blue is room addition
Brown is a patio

Great pic. Being that your area is so entirely, completely different than mine, I'd have a tendency to take the advice I quoted above. What is going to really bring you the best return in the timeline you've quoted? I can't say (well, not from being in bottom of the barrel Michigan), so that's why I'd go that route.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.