The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What mobile data plan do you own?

Galaxy16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
How many GB of data/SMS/telephony minutes do you have per month?

And pre-paid or post-paid? And what monthly price?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Galaxy16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
Cricket wireless, unlimited data/text/call and a 10gb hotspot. Hotspot was the only reason I went with cricket.
I pay $100 monthly for 2 lines both with hotspot
Good to know.
I randomly opened this page in the precise moment you posted this :).

collin_e

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Apr 12, 2018
Northeastern Pennsylvania
Hotspot? Isn't there already cellular data?
I don’t have internet access where I live, they won’t bring it too me. You can’t use your regular data with the hotspot, but for $10 it was the cheapest option for internet. It’s plenty fast to surf internet and download smaller things

Readerly

Yes and
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Sep 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Red Pocket Mobile. $10/month for 500 minutes, 500 texts, and 500 MB data. On the AT&T network. More than enough bandwidth for someone who finds smartphones annoying.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
T-Mobile, unlimited nationwide talk and text, 4 GB data, just under $50/month prepaid including taxes. A new phone worth around $100, I suppose, was included free when I started with them, due to a special sale at the time.

If there was a plan with less data I'd take it. I'm almost always at a place with free wi-fi available when I want to access data. Pretty much the only mobile data I ever use is a few megs to check email every half hour, if I expect an important note might arrive when I'm on the go.

This is the data amount for the least expensive prepaid plan in my area with the unlimited calls. It's important to me to not have to tell friends and clients to shut up already, so I don't have to pay more pennies to hear all they'd like to say.

My credit's still shot from medical expenses with the cancer. Once I get that cleaned up, I can switch to a postpaid plan that will drop the price by about a third.

The price difference isn't that great between the major vendors, at least in the U.S. I think it makes more sense for an entrepeneur to just pick any good enough plan. The time and energy it takes to save a couple hundred bucks a year at most on the phone bill, should go instead into business efforts that might realistically bring in thousands.

Oh, you might not know that in the U.S., the major carriers all have many smaller companies that buy airtime wholesale and resell it with their own retail plans. These often cost less because they don't have the national advertising of the big network owners.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
We have post paid ATT unlimited 4 lines, I think about $160 a month.

Just a note about Cricket. Back when they first started in Omaha, Nebraska, their coverage was not for the whole town. There was a specific section of town Cricket worked in so I bought my girl a phone that worked that area. As Cricket expanded, I bought more phones for my girls. Finally their service covered about 99% of Omaha and then they included Lincoln for an additional charge. So, I bought my girls in Lincoln a phone. This was when cell phones were just starting and most people did not have a phone. Now if you were traveling from Omaha to Lincoln you either had to pay a roaming fee or you did not have service. Just thought I'd throw that in there. While it seems like I've had a cell forever.... I've really only had a cell phone since 1996 and I've only had a 'smart' phone as we know it since 2011 :eek: I loved Cricket!

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I think that might have been my 1st smart phone. I have a 6 now and in December I'll have what ever they have at Nebraska Furniture Mart at that time. I usually stay 1 generation behind. I only text, use the maps and listen to Old Time Radio Streamer & Todd & Tyler so I don't need a fancy one. I don't use my phone for the internet or anything like that. I could see it being very useful in some businesses but I don't use it for any of that. I use my Mac for everything on the internet because I like the bigger screen. I am not a small screen fan.

sector7

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 26, 2015
FreedomPop free plan - 500MB of data, 200 minutes and 500 texts (but I use Google Hangouts for calls and texts so minutes and texts are unlimited)

FreedomPop free hotspot device - 200MB of data, for when I use up all my phone data or need to connect my laptop

Phone - Samsung S5 unlocked ~$80. Only reason I got rid of my flip phone is because it was annoying to get interrogated by every new client I met.

I don't watch videos or play games on my phone and automatic updates are disabled, so 700MB of data is plenty. I also never connect to any public WiFi networks.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
But your cellular data is more trustable.

That's not true at all. No matter how you connect to the public Internet, whether by wi-fi, cellular data plan, wired access, the very meaning of the public Internet is that your message or file is broken down into data packets, and those packets get passed along by any number of third parties. This cooperative switching and routing is the very essence of the Internet, all the way back to Paul Baran's 1964 paper at RAND for the US military. Each packet is a hot potato, handed off as quickly as possible to the next relevant router until it reaches its destination.

Every switch and router can also be an eavesdropping point. Instead of just forwarding your data packets, they can be logged.

That's why anything that should stay private or confidential, should be protected with encryption. Without the encryption key, third parties can still pass along your message but if they log it, all they'll get is noise. This assumes the encryption math is valid, and that the encryption software handles the math correctly. With the httpS encryption in all the major browsers, the math and coding are very intensely reviewed by experts. If you want to assure the integrity and privacy of a message, use encryption no matter what way you connect to the Internet. Don't put private info into an unencrypted message, no matter how you connect online.

There's nothing at all more trustable about accesing the Internet over your cell data plan. It only means the very first person to receive your potato is a cell phone company, instead of someone else. But the instant they hand it off to the next switch, it's just as public as a message that came in via any other connection.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
GOOGLE PROJECT FI!!! 80$ unlimited everything for my smartphone and tablet ipad.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
Is the smartphone also Apple?

no unfortunately not yet; maybe int he future though; i know that the ipads and stuff can work because my phone is a google pixel 2 xl (no sim uses an E-sim) and then the ipad (data only sim) and it is like unlimited everything for 80$ for both devices a month.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.