The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What makes a good CTO?

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
I'm a developer at a startup (Not necessarily a startup anymore we're pretty solid now.) and it's looking more likely than not that I'll be the CTO in the near future.

I'd like to hear from others, preferably those who've been CTOs themselves... what makes a good CTO. Suggestions on what I should learn or do to better prepare me for this role? Advice really.

Thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Prepare to shift your thinking from tactical to strategic. You're no longer responsible for the day-to-day issues related to the product/technology, you're now responsible for the long-term strategic success of the product.

Personally, I know a lot of great developers/engineers who would make horrendously bad CTOs, as they don't have strong management skills, they don't have vision, they don't have the ability to lead and they don't have the ability to delegate the tactical work and decisions.

On the other hand, I know lots of potentially great CTOs who would make horrendously bad developers/engineers (I'd put myself in this category) -- and that's okay. You don't need to be a good developer/engineer to be a good CTO.

Sadly, in my experience, if you love being a developer, there's a good chance you'll hate being a CTO (or you'll be a really bad CTO).

From an analogy perspective, think of it as a chef being promoted to restaurant manager -- you're going from spending all of your time in the kitchen dealing with food to spending all of your time out of the kitchen dealing with people -- if you spent your life wanting to be a chef, this may not be a great "promotion" for you. But, if you were only a chef because you were looking for a way to break into the restaurant business, this could be a great opportunity.

Thank you for this insight, Scott.

I do enjoy development, but I don't love development, actually, I'm working on starting a business right now. And I find the process of building and working on the business itself a lot more enjoyable than developing. I feel like I'd like the CTO role more than the developer's role, as I naturally gravitate towards management, building culture, business, and other aspects of being a businessman.

And aside from my own side work. I do notice that at work, I am unintentionally being funneled into more management, delegation, etc...

Em7

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Aug 11, 2019
Europe
I'd recommend reading the book "High Output Management" by Intel's former CEO, you're headed for management, coming from being a developer to a manager can be a tough step as they are completely different games and you're about to tackle completely new challenges, and going forward stack overflow won't be your saviour.

Good luck buddy

softwareRules

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Aug 25, 2019
Canada
The shift is from strategic to tactical, as Scott pointed out. You're going to be thinking more about the business and aligning all tasks toward the business goals. One crucial difference between "ok" management and great managers and CTOs is that they take control of their schedule and schedule 1-on-1s with their direct reports or schedule whatever meetings are necessary to get alignment and to get the job done.

You should understand as much of the business as possible, understand your current team's strengths & weaknesses, and create a roadmap for the next 6 months and the next year. You basically want a pipeline of tasks for you direct reports and your department that will make more money or save some money. Also be aware of your political standing; this is the biggest difference between development and management work. You have to be able to control the narrative and paint yourself and your team and the priorities that align with business goals in a positive light.

You should check out the book Developer Hegemony

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.