The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What Major Should I Choose for College?

JaaYu

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 30, 2022
Background: I want to explain first why I'm asking this in the briefest way possible. I'm a High Schooler who needs to choose a major and college to go to, and I just want to choose the best major to match entrepreneurship. I'm being forced by my parents and counselor to choose more prestigious colleges like Stanford, my Restrictive Early Action, and I have a good enough portfolio to attend a good college (I know Stanford is a reach, but my parents want it).

Currently: I'm fine with working on my business while in college since dropping out is irrational right now, and I want to work hard enough so that my business allows me to drop out of college. I am currently working on a specialized skill to sell, web design, and I've already completed Fox's very detailed program and landed my first client. I want to sell this specialized skill for businesses for at least a year to interact with the market and get some experience before building a specialized product to sell.

I just need help with these questions:
  1. Is an MBA or business major even useful for entrepreneurs?
  2. Should I just major in STEM, specifically Computer Science?
  3. What colleges are good for networking?
  4. What other advice do you have?
Thank You

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
to choose more prestigious colleges like Stanford, my Restrictive Early Action, and I have a good enough portfolio to attend a good college (I know Stanford is a reach, but my parents want it).

Stanford is an awesome choice, for networking and friendships alone.

I think Stanford also should have a great curriculum for any entrepreneurial pursuit.

Marketing is also a good fall-back, although I'm not sure what marketing tactics are being taught in stodgy old unis these days.

A computer science degree is also great because it gives you a high-value skill - both to sell, and to build your own ventures.

JaaYu

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 30, 2022

Stanford is an awesome choice, for networking and friendships alone.

I think Stanford also should have a great curriculum for any entrepreneurial pursuit.

Marketing is also a good fall-back, although I'm not sure what marketing tactics are being taught in stodgy old unis these days.

A computer science degree is also great because it gives you a high-value skill - both to sell, and to build your own ventures.
Thank You, I really hope I can make it to Stanford, but I will most likely attend Georgia Tech (Mostly for CS and In-State Scholarships) if I'm denied.

I'm also planning on applying to multiple top colleges to luckily get into one of them since that's what my counselor advised.

I think I've figured out my plan: Major in a STEM - specifically Computer Science - to attain some knowledge I can apply to solve problems in my business, and minor in marketing or business mostly for networking.

Thanks For The Insight

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.