The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What made you say enough was enough?

premeddc

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 15, 2010
I'm really curious to find out what made a lot of the other fastlaners say enough was enough... to take the high road, taking the Fastlane to riches :fastlane:
Was it your boss, :fryingpan: was it a job that you knew wasn't going anywhere,:pissed: was it your co-workers,:blah2: could you not get to work on time... ever,:smxD: or were you sick and tired of subordinates telling you what to do when deep down you knew they should have been working for you? :iamwithstupid:

For me it was all of the above. I was never a follower. I always hated school and never thought anything they taught me was really that important. So I was pretty much a walking zombie who was always called the clown by all my teachers. LOL. Only if they could see me now. :hl:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Ha-- and here I thought your question was: What made us cash out?

My wife and I hit our first PLAN goal ($2 million in net worth after taxes/commissions) in 2005, but we were having so much fun we put it all back into more development-- and reset our new PLAN goal to $5 million!

This left us holding a LOT of real estate ($10 million) when the market crashed. Our projections were always for flat/no growth-- and we even allowed for a 10-15% drop. We just never figured the market would come to a standstill!

So now we're building the value of the biz, and waiting. Not very fastlane-- but it's reality when things take a sudden shift and the biz you're in has an average 18 month list-to-close time. We're gonna wait until things pick up a bit and money starts flowing more freely before cashing out. Hopefully that will be in the next 3 years. If not, we'll just sit on what we're doing, and generate a couple million a year.

So to answer the question I *thought* you were asking:

What made you say "Enough!": We didn't! We were having way too much fun making money and didn't say "enough!" when we got to our goal.

You'll find this is a similar story for many investors. They set goals and achieve them-- but wind up having so much fun doing it that they set new goals, and go for higher highs. :banana:

(sorry I didn't answer your original question!) :)

-Russ H.

David

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jan 14, 2008
Sydney
At 17 was working 80 hours per week managing a small business whilst working in a white collar job for about 2 year straight after high school. My goal was eventually to purchase a small cafe down the road by the time I was almost 19. For me, the more I worked the more knowledge and skills I had gained, but most important of all the less time I was able to spend money.

Fast foward 4 years, I've purchased two cafes and planning on obtaining a third one within another year if business remains the same *fingers crossed*. Although most of the income have been heavily reinvested in the businesses, I still live with my parents, still enjoy a simple life without the luxury stuff such as cars and clothes.

The most rewarding factor of working for yourself is the nurturing of the actaul business itself coming to life from open till close. Also giving opportunities to youngsters who are willing to work and treat the business like their owns.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
At 17 was working 80 hours per week managing a small business whilst working in a white collar job for about 2 year straight after high school. My goal was eventually to purchase a small cafe down the road by the time I was almost 19. For me, the more I worked the more knowledge and skills I had gained, but most important of all the less time I was able to spend money.

Fast foward 4 years, I've purchased two cafes and planning on obtaining a third one within another year if business remains the same *fingers crossed*. Although most of the income have been heavily reinvested in the businesses, I still live with my parents, still enjoy a simple life without the luxury stuff such as cars and clothes.

The most rewarding factor of working for yourself is the nurturing of the actaul business itself coming to life from open till close. Also giving opportunities to youngsters who are willing to work and treat the business like their owns.

Speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed! Not afraid of work! :urock2:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I don't like to share this part but I think it is important for people to understand that the biggest motivator for people is pain. No one will really do anything until they have found enough pain to say exactly what you're saying "Enough is enough!" Pain will definitely motivate you to greatness.

Some of the more painful memories?

• Seeing my mom crying at the kitchen table in a mountain of bills.
  • Not having enough money to eat (often for several days at a time).
  • Being homeless.
  • Seeing all of my "friends" survived by stealing cars.
  • A great relationship failed because I couldn't give her what she wanted or needed and was always stressed about money.
  • Having people take advantage of me because I didn't have the money to do things right the first time.
  • When my house got broken into and I had borrowed a camera that was stolen, not having any sort of money to pay them back and having them be really upset at me (like it was my fault).
  • Being sick all the time due to eating cheap crap food
  • Broken, scratched up glasses that wouldn't even stay on my head
  • Having to sleep in my car overnight a few times because I didn't have enough gas to get home.
  • Not being able to afford Christmas presents

There are many more things for me but maybe this list resembles some of yours. Not to have a pity party but to realize there is almost always lots of pain behind achieving difficult goals. Enough was enough!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.