The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What is - The Love of Money ?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Most of us here don't try to acquire money because of the girls it will get us, the reputation it will bring with it, or the way it makes us feel. Most of us here want it because of freedom. That nice house you want? Money will get you it. What if someone gets sick in your family and insurance doesn't cover them? Money. You don't wanna be at work all day, need to pay the bills and want to spend time with your kids - money.

I don't understand why people think that everyone in life is free. Granted, if you are miserable without money, you'll probably be miserable with it. One of the best lessons I've learned is that you should just STFU and be happy in the moment. Appreciate what you have now, always be smiling! But don't settle, sure- go ahead! Try and reach those goals you want!

I understand working at a "normal" job if that makes you happy. But if it makes you happy, it doesn't matter what if pays, or the hours you work, the job isn't so normal after all.

Anyway, I am just trying to understand what the love of money is. Like, sure... I love cars. I don't love them because of the reputation, or because of how I could brag about which ones I own, but because I love the way they look, sound, and feel... but sometimes the only way to acquire that is with money!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
I no longer look at money in the mystique that the general public does. I look at money as a physical representation of the value your life has added to humanity. Money IS acquired by providing for others needs. To say you don't love money is to say you don't like providing for others. The more you have, the more you've given, and the more you shall receive. Whether that be in freedom, health, or fancy cars, it allows you to live out your true passions. If somebody claims their true passion in life is pushing transactional paperwork in a cubical for $40k a year, they are obviously in denial, lying to themselves, or live an extremely shallow existence.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The lens by which people gage the love of money is often in reference to the biblical concept of money and possessions. However, one of the steadfast rules of the forum is no politics, and no religion. So, this thread will be confined to world views on money devoid of a spiritual discussion.

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
482157_352112421573347_1840796001_n.jpg

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
I see money kind of like a monopoly game. It's really just so I can tell my family, "I'm successful", and brag about it on the phone. And freedom, plastic surgery, and so I could just play video games all day/every day and be an EPIC LOSER after I have enough. That's why I want money.

Until then, I can't live my destiny without money! So I have to focus on others and help this world as much as I can in the quickest speed.

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
I don't know...

I see money kind of like a monopoly game. It's really just so I can tell my family, "I'm successful", and brag about it on the phone. And freedom, plastic surgery, and so I could just play video games all day/every day and be an EPIC LOSER after I have enough. That's why I want money.

original

JasonC

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jan 9, 2013
This is a bit off topic, but when the Bible mentions the love of money as the root of all evil, the phrase "love of money" translates into greed!

Certainly gives a whole new meaning to money, doesn't it? :)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
We have to close the thread if it treads down the religious philosophy lane... so if you can keep it secular we can keep it open.

krbb91

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
May 23, 2011
The love of money is different from one person to the next. Stop worrying about other think about money. Set your own values, your own expectations. If you want that car (or anything else) and you know that money will be involved, then you already know the answer.

“You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” - Nietzsche

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
I'm not worried about what others think, I'm curious.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Most of us here don't try to acquire money because of the girls it will get us, the reputation it will bring with it, or the way it makes us feel. Most of us here want it because of freedom. That nice house you want? Money will get you it. What if someone gets sick in your family and insurance doesn't cover them? Money. You don't wanna be at work all day, need to pay the bills and want to spend time with your kids - money.

I don't understand why people think that everyone in life is free. Granted, if you are miserable without money, you'll probably be miserable with it. One of the best lessons I've learned is that you should just STFU and be happy in the moment. Appreciate what you have now, always be smiling! But don't settle, sure- go ahead! Try and reach those goals you want!

I understand working at a "normal" job if that makes you happy. But if it makes you happy, it doesn't matter what if pays, or the hours you work, the job isn't so normal after all.

Anyway, I am just trying to understand what the love of money is. Like, sure... I love cars. I don't love them because of the reputation, or because of how I could brag about which ones I own, but because I love the way they look, sound, and feel... but sometimes the only way to acquire that is with money!

It's an interesting question. I've pondered it myself.

I can only speak for myself. The weird thing is, I don't "motivate" myself to acquire money for the girls, reputation, what I can buy, bragging rights, etc. I'm already married, and I have a daughter. I'm not the richest guy by any means, but I definitely can buy most of the material things that I want. When I'm with friends and family, wealth never comes up. Actually when I'm investing I don't think of any of those things.

The only way that I can describe my point of view with regards to investing and making money is that it is an obsession. It's like seeing opportunity and having an overwhelming urge to take advantage of it. Can't let it go. An itch that must be scratched. Adrenaline seems to go up. I don't need as much sleep or food. I'm reading 10x more than "normal". I'm in a particular "zone" for days/weeks/months.

Having said that, when there is very little opportunity around, my intensity automatically dials down, and I spend my time enjoying life and the people around me. However there is still a baseline level of reading that I do every day - sort of like the average person's "coffee and morning paper".

I'm happy throughout. The money doesn't make me "happy" per se. I'm consistently getting wealthier by the year, but my happiness appears to be consistent. I've always been a happy person I guess.

I apologize if I couldn't make it more understandable.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
"Money" is a medium of exchange. That's all. if someone "loves money", it's really because they love whatever it is for which they think they can/will exchange it. I "love" money because I know that I can exchange it for time. Anyone can make more money; no one can make more time. Ergo, money can buy life, because time is the thing from which life is made. Money can also literally buy life, as someone else mentioned, in the form of medical care... or by building a hospital in a 3rd world country, or as it is exemplified in Schindler's List. Does that sound like "the root of all evil"?

There are also those whose motivation for acquiring this medium of exchange is purely self-serving or downright sinister.

As in art, money is merely the medium. The answer to your question is in the application of the medium to the canvas (life/society).

yahdmon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
May 3, 2012
I live in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Money; the answer to all things.

If I were to sum up what you have said on the topic, I would say money is the answer to the quests/questions that you have in life.

"Money" is a medium of exchange. That's all. if someone "loves money", it's really because they love whatever it is for which they think they can/will exchange it. I "love" money because I know that I can exchange it for time. Anyone can make more money; no one can make more time. Ergo, money can buy life, because time is the thing from which life is made. Money can also literally buy life, as someone else mentioned, in the form of medical care... or by building a hospital in a 3rd world country, or as it is exemplified in Schindler's List. Does that sound like "the root of all evil"?

There are also those whose motivation for acquiring this medium of exchange is purely self-serving or downright sinister.

As in art, money is merely the medium. The answer to your question is in the application of the medium to the canvas (life/society).

It is the same for me and it is this realization which drives me from day to day to do the ventures I have in my head and on my heart -- money, prefaced by "more" answers these questions. How can I drive a nicer car? More money. How can I have that dream house? More money. How do I change a nation, impact a generation and leave a lasting legacy? More money. Sure you get my point by now.

Sure, I could be doing like others, waiting for it to fall from the sky or be hoping my rich aunt will leave me a substantial amount in her will or something like that but after reading what I have read, I know that I can do as much, if not more than what she has done so that is not even an option or desire now. I know, confidently, that I have the ingredients to build my own wealth and that is why I am going after money.

I am sure I am not alone in this endeavor, my purpose might just be a little clearer than yours.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Money = Time Freedom Period.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I see it this way: when you are born, you owe the world something in return for what it gives you (time, health, and relationships). Money is simply the manifestation of value in an easily exchangeable format. Money has taken many forms, such as gold, silver, salt; even dates and yams have been used as currency.

In order to get the money you need to live a certain way, you need to provide a certain amount of value. Who dictates that value? People who use whatever you sell.

Example: take a man or a woman who makes $120,000 a year working for a big company. This means this person sells his/her services to a company for $120,000 per year. The company uses his/her services and buys them for $120,000 every year because that's what his/her services are worth to that company.

Now take a man or a woman who sells widgets for $12 each. His/her marginal costs are $6 (margin 100%) and his/her monthly costs are $500. He/she sells 10,000 widgets one month. This person takes home $59,500 before tax. Why? Because the 10,000 customers say that the widget in question is worth $12 and the owner of the company says that the things that he/she needs to make the widgets are worth $6 per widget and $500 a month.

If you love money, you love the value exchange. If you love making money, you love collecting value. If you love spending money, you love what your value can do for you. Me? I love all three. Some people don't care about the value exchange. I think they are the most selfish of all.

andyredsox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Oct 24, 2012
Money is important in everyday of our lives. The love of money it doesn't mean that you are greedy or something. But for them, without money, you cannot achieve everything you want and your needs. But we have to spend our money wisely. We shouldn't buy anything that is not so important with us. Just buy the needs, not all wants.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.