The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What Is Deep Work.. Really?

Anything related to matters of the mind

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
349%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
It hit me recently..

The idea of "Deep Work" is not deep if it's predictable.

Maybe you're like how I used to think - you feel like.. you don't know what to do on a daily basis, you don't know what TASKS to go deep on.

You feel like since you can't predict what to do, that something is wrong, that you're going to waste time.

Actually, it's not true.

Predictable work is likely to be work that can be replaced by automation or VA's in Bangladesh.

Sure, you know that if you DM 100 people the same message to prospective clients manually, you might get results. That's surely a predictable thing you can do, and something you can spend time and focus on.

But it's not deep work. It's an easily repeatable task, and the skill is available for sale at $1/hour on upwork.

Deep work doesn't start with how.

It starts with the vision, the outcome. It's outside of your knowledge and skill set.

Before you start working, you don't know HOW you're going to do it. It's unpredictable.

But you'll notice that in these projects that are hard and not immediately repeatable, you find out the how as you tinker, and put skin in the game, and go deep.

Just a recent breakthrough I had. Predictability in producing work isn't something that should be aspired to. That sounds more like a job.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

cornishpasty

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Mar 14, 2023
Cornwall, UK
i definitely find that i can go deeper during learning and creative tasks. its almost as though my brain won't allow me to go as deep when im doing the daily repetitive tasks that need doing, i guess because they are essentially habits.

you only have a finite amount of proper deep work you can commit to per day so you have to choose it wisely. i actually like using the repetitive tasks as my breaks between deep work blocks

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
It hit me recently..

The idea of "Deep Work" is not deep if it's predictable.

Maybe you're like how I used to think - you feel like.. you don't know what to do on a daily basis, you don't know what TASKS to go deep on.

You feel like since you can't predict what to do, that something is wrong, that you're going to waste time.

Actually, it's not true.

Predictable work is likely to be work that can be replaced by automation or VA's in Bangladesh.

Sure, you know that if you DM 100 people the same message to prospective clients manually, you might get results. That's surely a predictable thing you can do, and something you can spend time and focus on.

But it's not deep work. It's an easily repeatable task, and the skill is available for sale at $1/hour on upwork.

Deep work doesn't start with how.

It starts with the vision, the outcome. It's outside of your knowledge and skill set.

Before you start working, you don't know HOW you're going to do it. It's unpredictable.

But you'll notice that in these projects that are hard and not immediately repeatable, you find out the how as you tinker, and put skin in the game, and go deep.

Just a recent breakthrough I had. Predictability in producing work isn't something that should be aspired to. That sounds more like a job.
I first heard abt deep work from Calvin Newport, a professor who gained fame about writing study tips.

It is helpful for writers, artist and researchers who deal with tasks cracking their brains at a sophisticated task.

I don’t think it is particularly helpful for business people or entrepreneurs unless their roles overlapped with the above mentioned fields.

Gazing, thinking and self-correcting without execution in the real world seeking for feedbacks is rare.

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
349%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
I first heard abt deep work from Calvin Newport, a professor who gained fame about writing study tips.

It is helpful for writers, artist and researchers who deal with tasks cracking their brains at a sophisticated task.

I don’t think it is particularly helpful for business people or entrepreneurs unless their roles overlapped with the above mentioned fields.

Gazing, thinking and self-correcting without execution in the real world seeking for feedbacks is rare.
This is what I'm trying to understand when people bring up this concept.

It's always "write in a state of deep work" or "code in a state of deep work"

but entrepreneurs are neither of those.

So it was always confusing.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

Business and entrepreneurships are like playing blitz and rapid game chess. You definitely need to think, and sometimes ponder longer than usual when it is important, but you definitely cannot afford to be slow or perfectionist.

Fast, intuitive, experience driven and react as it goes beats “deep work”.

403burnout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Jan 8, 2024

Personally I would push back on that idea a little.

Lots of entrepreneurs are writers or programmers (among other things like marketers, customer service, etc.) MJ being an example. That may not be the title on the business card, but depending on what your business is, there's a very high chance you could be doing those types of cognitively demanding or "deep work" tasks.

Have you read the book Deep Work? There seems to be a takeaway here that you should "always be in deep work" which isn't true. Sometimes you will have only "shallow work" to do - like in your example repetitively DMing 100 people.

The idea in the book are more about being intentional with how you manage your time, and understanding that when you have a challenging task, or are forcing yourself to learn a new skill, you are better off eliminating distractions and "shallow work" like checking emails, watching TV in the background, social media, etc. Lots of things that would apply to many entrepreneurs.

I'm a fan of Cal Newport's content, and I think a lot of his ideas overlap with the goals people on here have. Obviously some of his writing is more tailored for people in a traditional 9-5 career, but he's one of the few people (besides MJ) that heavily pushes back on the BS about "chasing your passion".

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK

People using catch phrases because it sounds cool.

If it isn’t relevant to you don’t worry about. If you’re confused asking them to be more specific about what they mean. If they can’t be more specific, they’re just repeating words to try and sound smart.

Just because you don’t understand what someone means doesn’t mean they’re smarter than you. 90% of the time it means they’re a dumbass.

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
349%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Just because you don’t understand what someone means doesn’t mean they’re smarter than you. 90% of the time it means they’re a dumbass.
Wow. this could've come straight from the mouth of Nietzsche. Preach lol

luminis_

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Aug 27, 2022
To me, deep work is synonymous with deliberate practice.

I think Cal talked about this in one of his other books where he interviewed successful guitar players. The best ones don't practice playing songs, they practice difficult, uncomfortable, and minuscule sounds/movements that make the difference. Playing music and performing is the FUN part.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Calvin Newport is a great thinker. But the issue is he never left the academia, not just physically but mentally as well.

His whole idea about the pursuit of excellence is limited to becoming an extremely skilled craftsman and using that talent to create leverage.

I read all his books back in my university days about his tips on study skills, and I benefitted enormously.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.