The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What financial education topics would you have loved to lern in school?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

chrispayer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 17, 2021
Hello I feel like school teaches so little life information and so much BS. Comment what you think they should teach nowadays :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Hello I feel like school teaches so little life information and so much BS. Comment what you think they should teach nowadays :)
Great question.
I would have been very glad if I had any form of financial education in the first 10 years of school. But I think the big part I'd change is more general education rather than financial one. Teach people how to communicate, how to be happy, how to make friends, how to live a happy life (whatever that is) and more like that.

Back to your question in the financial education I'd focus on basic things which are useful for everybody: taxes, loans/debt, buying houses, how to save, how to invest, etc.
But I think it's important to let the student choose what they want to learn in depth. For example everything about how to create a business, or more about engineering, on the stock market, whatever the student is interested in(it should also be something that is important in the financial education).

Long story short I would start earlier with financial education and would implement more personalized classes.

Tats1515

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Dec 9, 2020
Panama City, Panama
This is a great topic. Definitely financial education,critical thinking, entrepreneurship ( with #CENTS commandments approach) lean management, empathy, and Emotional Intelligence.

My daughter is 9 years old and she is reading How to turn $100 into $1M from BizKid$ and in each chapter I see her expression of amazement when she understands a concept and finds the relation with her daily life.

So until the time arrives when schools include this topics, it’s our job as parents to prepare our kids for what is life really about.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
This is a great topic. Definitely financial education,critical thinking, entrepreneurship ( with #CENTS commandments approach) lean management, empathy, and Emotional Intelligence.

My daughter is 9 years old and she is reading How to turn $100 into $1M from BizKid$ and in each chapter I see her expression of amazement when she understands a concept and finds the relation with her daily life.

So until the time arrives when schools include this topics, it’s our job as parents to prepare our kids for what is life really about.
I didn't learn anything about money in school until I reach college. And then it was how to do the business math for merchandising a retail store. I would teach kids, starting with the basics... like how interest works... why banks want you to use their credit cards... like how to balance your checkbook...
I learned a lot from my dad -- how he did it all wrong. I never wanted to be him. And I've made it my business to do my life differently. He had a lot of opportunities that he never took during his lifetime. I can look back now and see his path and where he could have gone. It's very sad.

Last edited:

Tats1515

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Dec 9, 2020
Panama City, Panama
I didn't learn anything about money in school until I reach college. And then it was how to do the business math for merchandising a retail store. I would teach kids, starting with the basics... like how interest works... why banks want you to use their credit cards... like how to balance your checkbook...
I learned a lot from my dad -- how he did it all wrong. I never wanted to be him. And I've made it my business to do my life differently. He had a lot of opportunities that he never took during his lifetime. I can look back now and see his path and where he could have gone. It's very sad.
Same with my parents... they had their house fully paid, in their late 30s, they could’ve saved and invested, or create some kind of hustle.. but they didn’t. Guess they were educated to be employees not business owners. And I agree with you.. Back in school in the 80s and 90s, they didn’t teach anything regarding financial education or entrepreneurship... as @MJ DeMarco says... we were receiving a script to be in the slow lane during our most productive years ‍

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Same with my parents... they had their house fully paid, in their late 30s, they could’ve save and invest, or create some kind of hustle.. but they didn’t. Guess they were educated to be employees not business owners. And I agree with you.. Back in the 80s and 90s, they didn’t teach anything regarding financial education or entrepreneurship... as @MJ DeMarco says... we were receiving a script to be in the slow lane during our most productive years ‍♀️
I grew up before you did. I was taught to get a Mrs. degree -- marry the right man. I was pushed to learn to be the perfect wife, a good mother, and a wonderful Southern cook. (My sweet husband loves the fact that I can actually cook.)

My dad spent next month's money this month. He was always looking to buy something else and then that purchase meant nothing to him. Nothing he had really scratch his itch. And he was always broke and working on his next get-rich-quick scheme.

I'm just the opposite. Things and possessions don't move me much -- but money in the bank and assets with passive incomes are what does it for me. I'm working the "tortoise plan" -- careful planning, coupled with slow and steady progress wins the race. And, no, he never understood my journey. I don't think they could have taught him how to do it better while he was in school.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
How NOT to be a good little obedient rat who does whatever the television tells them...
The time value of time... 10 years of freedom in your 30s is light-years better than 10 years of freedom at 70.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Basically everything in Unscripted , but of course they would never do that.

At the very least, I almost feel like it should be the school’s obligation to teach students how to *avoid* things like rent-to-own, 25% credit card APR, etc.

It’s sad how many people fall prey to shitty business practices where perceived value =/= actual value. Totally preventable with some quick education.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.