The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What exactly is an Entrepreneur? (The Economist)

Singularity

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Dec 27, 2013
http://www.economist.com/blogs/schu...fsrc=scn/fb/wl/bl/whatexactlyisanentrepreneur

This article from the economist talks about two kinds of entrepreneurs:
"The first is the popular view: that entrepreneurs are people who run their own companies, the self-employed or small-business people. The second is Joseph Schumpeter’s view that entrepreneurs are innovators: people who come up with ideas and embody those ideas in high-growth companies."

Which one do you fit in with?

(If you are at your limit of reading articles in The Economist website, then open up the article in "Incognito mode")

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Not sure why it matters. Both definitions seem highly applicable, doesn't need to be either/or.

IMO, an entrepreneur is someone who is able to pave their own road while serving the needs of others, preferably, the masses (for Fastlaners).

However, I would NOT call an MLM'er or a franchisee an entrepreneur - I'm sure that would generate some hate mail.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
I would NOT call an MLM'er or a franchisee an entrepreneur - I'm sure that would generate some hate mail.

I hate you MJ DeMarco. Jk I actually love your message and your book.

I don't think an MLM'er is an entrepreneur, but I do feel that you can approach being a franchisee from an entrepreneurial angle. For example instead of buying a franchise the way most people do, why not find 5 struggling hamburger franchises and buy them in bulk at a discount. Then fix them up and sell them a few years down the road for profit.

I remember reading about how a 25-year old guy did this with Subway sandwich stores. He went from 1 store to 35 within 3 years.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I remember reading about how a 25-year old guy did this with Subway sandwich stores. He went from 1 store to 35 within 3 years.

Ah, yes, very entrepreneurial. However, most don't take that approach -- they buy a franchise and become a general manager and enter into a lifetime of management and then pay royalties to the true entrepreneur, err, or Fastlaner.

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Ah, yes, very entrepreneurial. However, most don't take that approach -- they buy a franchise and become a general manager and enter into a lifetime of management and then pay royalties to the true entrepreneur, err, or Fastlaner.

You just described the last 30 years of my father's life. He bought a franchise and we never broke out of that middle class barrier. The founder of the franchise sold the company to Home Depot for millions and that's when things got REALLY ugly. They squeezed so many fees out of the franchisees to the point where it became almost impossible for the franchises to survive. Tons of them went out of business and the only reason why my dad's is still around is because he has built a loyal following over the course of decades.

No control. Blaze your own path. Because I can.

Last edited:

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
definitely the second.

had trouble getting the hang of the forum at first because it seems like most of the entrepreneurs here are based around the first

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I don't call myself anything. Thats my own preference. Just call myself myself.

On another note though, I'm totally cool with running what already exists just as much as something new, because they both require diligence and both pay out in relation to how cleverly you approach it. The less barriers you have inside yourself, the more freely you can choose what to do without anyone telling you its the BS choice.

If I work at a store, as a freelancer, as a franchisee, as a manager, as the director of a startup, does it really matter?
Most guys need to get rid of the fear that keeps them trying to be "percieved better", and just take on the attitude that sees them know more about how to do what they want, and get what they need from it.

Just be an action taker. Believe in the job infront of you and kick its a$$. Because the job infront of you is the ONLY thing in your way you have control over, so go kick its a$$.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.