The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What does it take?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Steeltip

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 17, 2021
Houston, TX
Hi everybody,

I think we have all seen those youtube videos. The ones where such-and-such-internet-guru, tells you that you can make money online through drop shipping or whatever business flavor of the day happens to be popular. These folks oftentimes are low-level scam artists or are just simply fooling themselves into believing that they are actually providing value to their customers. When it is just the usual lineup of productivity evangelism and vague one-liners about some business philosophy, that sounds deep but below the surface stands on shaky legs. But dammit if I haven't fallen for this brand of getting rich quick bullshit a few times before in my early 20's in my quest for breaking the shackles of the SCRIPTED life.

Though, luckily, I was able to see it was bullshit before getting too deep in the weeds in an Amway buy-in or drop shipping course Ponzi scheme. I actually believe that it may be one of the trailheads for becoming an entrepreneur if only to let you know that this is not the way to the UNSCRIPTED life. Hell, even a genius could be fooled by a snake oil salesman if they were desperate enough for a cure.

That being said, I have been around the block with business and productivity gurus in my time and I have found that there seems to be a spectrum. At the bottom are the ones you should not particularly worry about, there are the aforementioned gurus who peddle watered-down advice and schemes, mostly the same with the middle tiers as well. But THEN there are the A-listers that seem to dominate the marketplace, and may not even FEEL like a guru at the outset. These are the ones that get in your head because they actually seem to make some kind of sense or actually offer some kind of value (even if it's not a whole lot).

These A-listers have actually created a phenomenon on their own which is often referred to as hustle culture. Where you have to 10X your effort (Grant Cardone) or with Gary V (sells speaking events, not products) just simply work all the F*cking time. Any time that you spend on something else is wasted time, you need to put everything you have in your business and I do mean everything. Gary V claims to work 16 hours a day and I believe that Grant Cardone has claimed the same at one point in time or another. Actually, Ellon Musk is a perfect example of someone who we all know works 16-18 hour days at least. My question is... How do you do that long term? Frankly, it seems impossible at least at this stage of my journey.

NOW LET ME MAKE SOMETHING PERFECTLY CLEAR! (disclaimer)

CLEARLY in order to succeed you have to put massive amounts of time and effort into your business. You have to make sacrifices of your time that no one else will even dream of making. You have to give up having fun that other people are enjoying to get your ventures to where you want them to be and I am FULLY aware of this fact. I believe that that short of speculating on currency or the lottery there is no quick path to success/wealth. You MUST put the time in the game, there is simply no other way.

speaking of hustle culture, I know I am going to get some blowback for this. But if Ellon is actually working 16 hours a day then what is he doing in the bathroom??? Taking Hyper Shits??!!? Does he rub one out while doing a pre-flight inspection of the Falcon heavy? Don't give me that bullshit. Does he speed F*ck Grimes after three Cold Brews on his imported Italian maple standing desk, bust the fastest nut known to man, and while he's cumming yell "THIS KID IS GOING TO F*ckING MARS HONEY." And IMMEDIATELY after go right back to filling expense reports and launch requests to air traffic control or whatever the hell this man does.

But if they truly are working as much as they say they are, which I actually do believe that all three of these men have done so and are continuing to do 16-18 hour days as I have done them myself and I know people on this forum do as well. Then where is the time to do the mundane tasks that living requires?

I understand that you need to delegate as many tasks as you can to trim the fat from any wasted time that you may have. Though there are just simply some things that you cant delegate. As far as I am aware you cant pay someone to take a shower for you or brush your teeth.

Currently, I am working about a 50-60 hour week at my job. I come home and eat a snap kitchen meal (highly recommend btw), shower, and then work on learning my business. In addition to that, I have a fiance who is really low maintenance but still requires time and attention every day, and I also have to do the mundane things that life requires as well. After all, is said and done I am tapped out on time and mental energy. All of this with sleeping roughly 6 hours a night which is about my limit for the amount of sleep needed to be functional thorough out the day.

All of this I do happily, in fact, if my life wasn't this jam-packed I think I would feel empty inside. I worked like this all through high school, college, and now into my adult life as well, having no time is a good time for me.

What really gets to me though is the fact that according to the message being conveyed by the folks mentioned above. I am absolutely failing at being a business owner and that unless I am literally working every second of every day on it then I will lose everything. I just don't think that this is realistic, sure you need to put a whole lot of time in. But how much is that really?

So after all of this my question to all of you who have actually started a successful business is. What is truly the amount of productive time that it takes to launch and run successfully (not just how long you're at your office but actuall productive time)? I realize that this time will vary from start to finish. But can we break apart the myth here of what hustle culture suggests or am I simply just wrong and you do need to spend 16-18 hour days?

Let me know what you think and thanks for reading

Cheers
-Steeltip

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheKingOfMadrid

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Dec 14, 2020
CLEARLY in order to succeed you have to put massive amounts of time and effort into your business. You have to make sacrifices of your time that no one else will even dream of making. You have to give up having fun that other people are enjoying to get your ventures to where you want them to be and I am FULLY aware of this fact. I believe that that short of speculating on currency or the lottery there is no quick path to success/wealth. You MUST put the time in the game, there is simply no other way.
Objectively not true.

To 'succeed' in business financially requires one thing - Money In. If you combine that with speed you have momentum and then you have success and at least an exit.

Look at all of the personality dorks that get millions for simply acting delinquent.
Look at financial dominatrices that literally get sent money from men for just existing.
Look at the top 20% of web cam models that get naked and make $$$$$
Look at men who create a personality brand and sell courses
Look at the dorks who made stupid money with De-Fi

None of these people have to work 16 hours a day for years on end to achieve top % liquidity, in some cases doing next to nothing - but they provide value that people want more than their money.

If someone gives you a million right now - it took a second to make.

The question people miss is - how can I TAKE a million from enough people fast enough?

How do I place myself between the flow of money and extract it?

Selling e-books, copywriting, translaitng, dropshipping, course creation etc etc can get you some money, but these fields are so competitive that a natural ceiling is built of both market demand and personal time.

You must detach your time from your money but to do that you must build - this part is true. But not even that part has to be hard if you're competent at sales and know how to manage a team of special forces rather than hiring an army.

Also we need to define what success is here - most people dream of that 1 million but a lot of people that reach it don't truly have it.

In many cases better to be fully liquid at 500K.

So to answer your question:

>What is truly the amount of productive time that it takes to launch and run successfully (not just how long you're at your office but actuall productive time)? I realize that this time will vary from start to finish. But can we break apart the myth here of what hustle culture suggests or am I simply just wrong and you do need to spend 16-18 hour days?

Whatever amount of time it takes to get Money IN.

You are better off finding a way to get more money in faster than 'working hard without any guarantee of success, putting in 100 hour work weeks and grinding all day for years'

If I listened to these types of people i'd still be reading books like a dork with my fearless motivation on loop.

Christopher104

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Oct 27, 2020
Hi everybody,

I think we have all seen those youtube videos. The ones where such-and-such-internet-guru, tells you that you can make money online through drop shipping or whatever business flavor of the day happens to be popular. These folks oftentimes are low-level scam artists or are just simply fooling themselves into believing that they are actually providing value to their customers. When it is just the usual lineup of productivity evangelism and vague one-liners about some business philosophy, that sounds deep but below the surface stands on shaky legs. But dammit if I haven't fallen for this brand of getting rich quick bullshit a few times before in my early 20's in my quest for breaking the shackles of the SCRIPTED life.

Though, luckily, I was able to see it was bullshit before getting too deep in the weeds in an Amway buy-in or drop shipping course Ponzi scheme. I actually believe that it may be one of the trailheads for becoming an entrepreneur if only to let you know that this is not the way to the UNSCRIPTED life. Hell, even a genius could be fooled by a snake oil salesman if they were desperate enough for a cure.

That being said, I have been around the block with business and productivity gurus in my time and I have found that there seems to be a spectrum. At the bottom are the ones you should not particularly worry about, there are the aforementioned gurus who peddle watered-down advice and schemes, mostly the same with the middle tiers as well. But THEN there are the A-listers that seem to dominate the marketplace, and may not even FEEL like a guru at the outset. These are the ones that get in your head because they actually seem to make some kind of sense or actually offer some kind of value (even if it's not a whole lot).

These A-listers have actually created a phenomenon on their own which is often referred to as hustle culture. Where you have to 10X your effort (Grant Cardone) or with Gary V (sells speaking events, not products) just simply work all the f*cking time. Any time that you spend on something else is wasted time, you need to put everything you have in your business and I do mean everything. Gary V claims to work 16 hours a day and I believe that Grant Cardone has claimed the same at one point in time or another. Actually, Ellon Musk is a perfect example of someone who we all know works 16-18 hour days at least. My question is... How do you do that long term? Frankly, it seems impossible at least at this stage of my journey.

NOW LET ME MAKE SOMETHING PERFECTLY CLEAR! (disclaimer)

speaking of hustle culture, I know I am going to get some blowback for this. But if Ellon is actually working 16 hours a day then what is he doing in the bathroom??? Taking Hyper Shits??!!? Does he rub one out while doing a pre-flight inspection of the Falcon heavy? Don't give me that bullshit. Does he speed f*ck Grimes after three Cold Brews on his imported Italian maple standing desk, bust the fastest nut known to man, and while he's cumming yell "THIS KID IS GOING TO f*ckING MARS HONEY." And IMMEDIATELY after go right back to filling expense reports and launch requests to air traffic control or whatever the hell this man does.

But if they truly are working as much as they say they are, which I actually do believe that all three of these men have done so and are continuing to do 16-18 hour days as I have done them myself and I know people on this forum do as well. Then where is the time to do the mundane tasks that living requires?

I understand that you need to delegate as many tasks as you can to trim the fat from any wasted time that you may have. Though there are just simply some things that you cant delegate. As far as I am aware you cant pay someone to take a shower for you or brush your teeth.

Currently, I am working about a 50-60 hour week at my job. I come home and eat a snap kitchen meal (highly recommend btw), shower, and then work on learning my business. In addition to that, I have a fiance who is really low maintenance but still requires time and attention every day, and I also have to do the mundane things that life requires as well. After all, is said and done I am tapped out on time and mental energy. All of this with sleeping roughly 6 hours a night which is about my limit for the amount of sleep needed to be functional thorough out the day.

All of this I do happily, in fact, if my life wasn't this jam-packed I think I would feel empty inside. I worked like this all through high school, college, and now into my adult life as well, having no time is a good time for me.

What really gets to me though is the fact that according to the message being conveyed by the folks mentioned above. I am absolutely failing at being a business owner and that unless I am literally working every second of every day on it then I will lose everything. I just don't think that this is realistic, sure you need to put a whole lot of time in. But how much is that really?

So after all of this my question to all of you who have actually started a successful business is. What is truly the amount of productive time that it takes to launch and run successfully (not just how long you're at your office but actuall productive time)? I realize that this time will vary from start to finish. But can we break apart the myth here of what hustle culture suggests or am I simply just wrong and you do need to spend 16-18 hour days?

Let me know what you think and thanks for reading

Cheers
-Steeltip
Yeah that's why I don't really have "role models". because people like to put their "Hustle" on steroids.

As far as I'm concerned, the difference between Elon Musk and me or anybody else who isn't quite ready to run a business yet, is I work at a job because I HAVE to. I HAVE to work because I have bills to pay. I HAVE to work because I don't have $200,000,000,000 sitting in the bank if I'm ready to say "F*ck this!" and retire.

Elon Musk owns his time so it doesn't feel like work to him, and the difference between owning your own time and somebody else owning your time is night and day.

Alright I've procrastinated long enough, good post!

Steeltip

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 17, 2021
Houston, TX
Objectively not true.

To 'succeed' in business financially requires one thing - Money In. If you combine that with speed you have momentum and then you have success and at least an exit.

Look at all of the personality dorks that get millions for simply acting delinquent.
Look at financial dominatrices that literally get sent money from men for just existing.
Look at the top 20% of web cam models that get naked and make $$$$$
Look at men who create a personality brand and sell courses
Look at the dorks who made stupid money with De-Fi

None of these people have to work 16 hours a day for years on end to achieve top % liquidity, in some cases doing next to nothing - but they provide value that people want more than their money.

If someone gives you a million right now - it took a second to make.

The question people miss is - how can I TAKE a million from enough people fast enough?

How do I place myself between the flow of money and extract it?

Selling e-books, copywriting, translaitng, dropshipping, course creation etc etc can get you some money, but these fields are so competitive that a natural ceiling is built of both market demand and personal time.

You must detach your time from your money but to do that you must build - this part is true. But not even that part has to be hard if you're competent at sales and know how to manage a team of special forces rather than hiring an army.

Also we need to define what success is here - most people dream of that 1 million but a lot of people that reach it don't truly have it.

In many cases better to be fully liquid at 500K.

So to answer your question:

>What is truly the amount of productive time that it takes to launch and run successfully (not just how long you're at your office but actuall productive time)? I realize that this time will vary from start to finish. But can we break apart the myth here of what hustle culture suggests or am I simply just wrong and you do need to spend 16-18 hour days?

Whatever amount of time it takes to get Money IN.

You are better off finding a way to get more money in faster than 'working hard without any guarantee of success, putting in 100 hour work weeks and grinding all day for years'

If I listened to these types of people i'd still be reading books like a dork with my fearless motivation on loop.
I really like what you said here I think all of that is true. The money in principle is something I'm going to think about more it seems like an excellent concept. Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

spreng

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 1, 2019
you are thinking about it wrong. That's not the equation. Hard work doesn't just mean time (but it would be 24/7). You have to engage in high risk behavior and persuade people that you never thought you would be allowed into a room with.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.