The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What Do You Think of This?

Tim Wallace

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 29, 2020
U.S
I have recently published a short step by step guide ebook (35-pages), which guides you on how to properly work on Amazon's Mechanical Turk. The major pitfall of MTurk (as it's called), is there is so much crappy work mixed in with the decent tasks available. So it is the norm for an untrained worker to waste a lot of time combing through them, and end up losing potential earnings to inefficient processes and approach.

That's where this guide book comes in. It could shave years off the normal learning curve of MTurk, and helps them start to earn a decent side income almost immediately. I have no doubt about the level of value it offers.

It is published at $19.99, and has sold several copies so far. It also got some sales from this forum, when I posted it in the SELL ME SATURDAY thread last weekend (with a special Fastlane discount - FASTLANE50).

My goal with this thread is to get feedback on what Fastlaners thinks of the landing page, specifically in the following regards:

Landing Page: MTurk Money

1. Assuming you have never heard of Amazon's MTurk, and you landed on that page (while searching for ways to make money online). Would the information provided be clear/sufficient enough for you to make a purchasing decision?

2. Design and appeal: Does the landing page look appealing, free of clutter/distractions and professional enough for you to believe the product you are buying (ebook) is well written?

3. Sales Pitch: I have kept the overall "pitch" simple and honest. Not aggressive and salesy. However, I would like to know what you think, from a conversion standpoint.

And of course anything else you think is relevant. I'll appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Please note: The book is created for a US audience.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Turn that gray banner at the top of add to cart into something else, it destroys that page's look.

and this:
Zrzut ekranu z 2020-06-11 18-38-36.png
Looks broken.
(its after removing from cart).

Otherwise cool site.

DonJuan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Dec 23, 2019
As a stand-alone landing page, your copy is a bit on the thin side. Sure, it's straight to the point, but you generally need more substance than this to "look" legit.

However, if this is only part of your whole funnel, and you pre-sell the book on another page, then sure - it could be sufficient.

But one thing that strikes me is there's no proof. I mean, as a potential buyer, I'd have questions like:

Who's selling this guide?
Are they actually experienced?
Can I find this info for free on the web?
What numbers (revenue) have they done on Mturk?

Sure, you mention in a short paragraph who you are, but there's no meat. No proof, no screenshots, not even a pic, or even better, a video of you.

How can I be sure you're legit, if you're not at least showing yourself? Showing proof? Showing value?

Why not offer the first 2 or 3 pages free. Give some value, and it'll make the buy easier for any serious lead.

Tim Wallace

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 29, 2020
U.S
Turn that gray banner at the top of add to cart into something else, it destroys that page's look.

and this:
View attachment 33434
Looks broken.
(its after removing from cart).

Otherwise cool site.

Thanks for the feedback. I actually had it in mind to revisit the color combination on those inner pages. However, I generally prefer to put my projects out there as soon as I can, then tinker with the fine details as everything goes along. Mainly to avoid getting caught up forever with the tinkering.

Thanks for pointing it out. To make it cleaner and more visually appealing, instead of changing the gray bar, I changed the background from a yellow-white gradient to all white. Then I changed the previously purple buttons in the cart pages to red, to better match the red home page buttons.

I also changed the background of that page in your screenshot to white as well, but there's still a yellow gradient footer on it. I may review the footer color later, but for now I think it is fine. Thanks!

Tim Wallace

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 29, 2020
U.S
As a stand-alone landing page, your copy is a bit on the thin side. Sure, it's straight to the point, but you generally need more substance than this to "look" legit.

However, if this is only part of your whole funnel, and you pre-sell the book on another page, then sure - it could be sufficient.

But one thing that strikes me is there's no proof. I mean, as a potential buyer, I'd have questions like:

Who's selling this guide?
Are they actually experienced?
Can I find this info for free on the web?
What numbers (revenue) have they done on Mturk?

Sure, you mention in a short paragraph who you are, but there's no meat. No proof, no screenshots, not even a pic, or even better, a video of you.

How can I be sure you're legit, if you're not at least showing yourself? Showing proof? Showing value?

Why not offer the first 2 or 3 pages free. Give some value, and it'll make the buy easier for any serious lead.

Thanks for the feedback. Valid points made.

I am aware the copy is currently lean, but I have intentionally avoided fluff. I definitely think there is room for some more copy, so I will integrate a few more sentences to make it better rounded. I generally pre-sell it a bit, but I can see where someone from a Facebook ad and such might not receive enough of a pre-sell.

I believe even with the current lean copy, it looks legit (otherwise complete strangers wouldn't have made purchases, I guess). I do get your point though, so I will beef it up a bit more.

As a very private person, I have decided not to go the face plastering route. Especially since I am not trying to build a brand around my name or person. I'm only focused on the value of the content.

As far as whether or not the information can be found on the web, I'd say no.
Can you find information about MTurk? Sure, but for the same reason people call the "tech wiz of the family," rather than "refer to their owner manual," the difference is context. Personal anecdotes, experience integration and so on is what gives substantive meaning to sterile information.
Not to mention having all the relevant information in an organized and properly digestible presentation.

I have also avoided mentioning how much I personally make on the platform, as that can easily set the wrong expectations. I have used MTurk for 10 years, so a new user will not right away earn what I can earn from it. I do make it clear this isn't some mysterious "get rich system," where you make "$8,627.42 a month, with this one simple system."

I generally state a possible earning range of around $500 - $1000/month in the first couple of months (with effort). Beyond that, a user can earn more, as they get more experienced and accumulate more qualifications on the platform.

As for a 2-3 page preview, I will look into the best way to offer that on the landing page, without them having to leave the page.

While some people earn a full time income on MTurk, no one will get rich off of it. That said, it is a decent way to earn a side income significant enough to get any aspiring Fastlaner off the ground, with additional funds to pump into their fastlane hustle. Whether that is running ads for their business or buying small items to get some bootstrapping action going. Or for anyone who simply wants the option to make some money online during their down time.

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Hi Tim,

Having no clue what MTurk is or does I opened the website and had a quick look... the
"What is MTurk" left me none the wiser. If the site's geared for people who know what this is then it might be ok but for someone just curious it doesnt work at all...

Just my 2 Cents... :)

Tim Wallace

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 29, 2020
U.S
Hi Tim,

Having no clue what MTurk is or does I opened the website and had a quick look... the
"What is MTurk" left me none the wiser. If the site's geared for people who know what this is then it might be ok but for someone just curious it doesnt work at all...

Just my 2 Cents... :)

Thanks for the feedback.
The book is for both people who already know about and use MTurk, as well as those who don't.

I tried to keep it brief, to avoid a long winded article about MTurk on a landing page. I will however add some more "how it works" information about MTurk, and a simple info-graphic to make it abundantly clear to those with no clue what it is. Thanks!

kleine2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Sep 15, 2013
I have recently published a short step by step guide ebook (35-pages), which guides you on how to properly work on Amazon's Mechanical Turk. The major pitfall of MTurk (as it's called), is there is so much crappy work mixed in with the decent tasks available. So it is the norm for an untrained worker to waste a lot of time combing through them, and end up losing potential earnings to inefficient processes and approach.

That's where this guide book comes in. It could shave years off the normal learning curve of MTurk, and helps them start to earn a decent side income almost immediately. I have no doubt about the level of value it offers.

It is published at $19.99, and has sold several copies so far. It also got some sales from this forum, when I posted it in the SELL ME SATURDAY thread last weekend (with a special Fastlane discount - FASTLANE50).

My goal with this thread is to get feedback on what Fastlaners thinks of the landing page, specifically in the following regards:

Landing Page: MTurk Money

1. Assuming you have never heard of Amazon's MTurk, and you landed on that page (while searching for ways to make money online). Would the information provided be clear/sufficient enough for you to make a purchasing decision?

2. Design and appeal: Does the landing page look appealing, free of clutter/distractions and professional enough for you to believe the product you are buying (ebook) is well written?

3. Sales Pitch: I have kept the overall "pitch" simple and honest. Not aggressive and salesy. However, I would like to know what you think, from a conversion standpoint.

And of course anything else you think is relevant. I'll appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Please note: The book is created for a US audience.
I am familiar with MTurk. If I was not I don't think I would understand what it is from your page.
Are you targeting people that already work on MTurk or people that do not?
Because the site would be very different depending on that fact.
Maybe you could have 2 sites or pages for each of those people.
Also in the sub headline I think focusing on positive might be better than negative.
So accelerate your learning curve, increase your earning. Not avoid wasting time.
Because as someone new (especially if I am the person that doesn't know what MTurk is, it would not seem intuitive that it would be hard to make money).
And I agree with the above that the white text on yellow is not a good idea.

Tim Wallace

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 29, 2020
U.S
I am familiar with MTurk. If I was not I don't think I would understand what it is from your page.
Are you targeting people that already work on MTurk or people that do not?
Because the site would be very different depending on that fact.
Maybe you could have 2 sites or pages for each of those people.
Also in the sub headline I think focusing on positive might be better than negative.
So accelerate your learning curve, increase your earning. Not avoid wasting time.
Because as someone new (especially if I am the person that doesn't know what MTurk is, it would not seem intuitive that it would be hard to make money).
And I agree with the above that the white text on yellow is not a good idea.

Thanks for the feedback.

It targets both existing users of MTurk and those who know nothing about it.

My goal is to have one site that caters to both groups. I would rather have it this way, so the goal is to optimize it to serve that purpose. Which includes adding more information and info-graphics.

As someone with a sales background, who always advised others to focus primarily on enjoyment gain, rather than pain avoidance, I totally agree. So I have removed the pain avoidance line, to let the positive gain aspect be in the fore. However, I will re-integrate the time wasting aspect back into it later, perhaps with a more positive spin, as it is a crucial pitfall for most.

I believe the white header is just fine and attractive on the shade of yellow background. I do agree some might find it harder to read the sub-heading in white, so I have changed that to a slightly gray black. Thanks!

Tim Wallace

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 29, 2020
U.S
White text on the yellow background is not really pleasant to read. Try something with a better contrast.

Thanks for the feedback. I changed the sub-heading text color to a grayish black to make it easier to read, but retained the white heading.

Tim Wallace

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 29, 2020
U.S
Currently working on adding a small preview of the book into the landing page.

Tim Wallace

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 29, 2020
U.S
I am still working on the additional copy for the whole page, but a sneak peek preview section is live on the page now. It displays the Contents page, Preface page and 2 inner pages.

Tim Wallace

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 29, 2020
U.S
I see I didn't update this thread on the changes made to the landing page.
I believe I've implemented almost all the feedback received so far on this thread.

- I have added a bit more information about MTurk in the first body section.
- I have added information in the "It's a great time to actually work from home" section, which was previously empty.
- I added a Sneak Peek tool, which allows users preview the first few pages of the book.
- I added a small FAQ section.

I'm also having an explainer animation made, which I will add to the page too.

I'm open to any additional feedback. Thanks!

NanetteD

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Nov 13, 2019
Amsterdam, NL
I'm open to any additional feedback. Thanks!

A few thoughts. TL;DR: results, results, results and hooks ;)

I would rewrite 'What is MTurk?' into something more reader-focused. I would focus on what's in it for the readers instead of giving basic intel on MTurk. Why not choose a bold statement/big claim of what I can do with it instead of the promise of telling your visitors what it is? It seems like a missed chance (you do have that promise, i read it in your initial post).

Apart from that, I would sprinkle some proof on this page. You have to lull that reptile in the brain of your visitors to sleep. Go for something that makes it a no-brainer. Maybe some solid results, percentages, numbers, anything that will make me think this is ok/safe and a very smart move to buy. Especially in the part about you: it's the perfect place to let visitors know what it brought you. 'How I made x within y' (even better if you address a frustration that you solve). I would want to know that i can follow in your footsteps without all the analysis/work that you put in.

The three icons with the text are all about the process of learning. I would want to know what that learning will amount to. What can i do with that knowledge? What's the perspective of me getting those learnings? Is it speed? Is it security? This too is in your original post.

I miss th hook with your eBook in the headline 'It's a great time to work from home'. I want to feel that I'm missing out on something. What is my frustration about trying to make money from home that you solve? You mention a guarantee, but it's a bit thin. What makes this so different? Link it to results and proof.

I hope this helps!

Tim Wallace

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 29, 2020
U.S
A few thoughts. TL;DR: results, results, results and hooks ;)

I would rewrite 'What is MTurk?' into something more reader-focused. I would focus on what's in it for the readers instead of giving basic intel on MTurk. Why not choose a bold statement/big claim of what I can do with it instead of the promise of telling your visitors what it is? It seems like a missed chance (you do have that promise, i read it in your initial post).

Apart from that, I would sprinkle some proof on this page. You have to lull that reptile in the brain of your visitors to sleep. Go for something that makes it a no-brainer. Maybe some solid results, percentages, numbers, anything that will make me think this is ok/safe and a very smart move to buy. Especially in the part about you: it's the perfect place to let visitors know what it brought you. 'How I made x within y' (even better if you address a frustration that you solve). I would want to know that i can follow in your footsteps without all the analysis/work that you put in.

The three icons with the text are all about the process of learning. I would want to know what that learning will amount to. What can i do with that knowledge? What's the perspective of me getting those learnings? Is it speed? Is it security? This too is in your original post.

I miss th hook with your eBook in the headline 'It's a great time to work from home'. I want to feel that I'm missing out on something. What is my frustration about trying to make money from home that you solve? You mention a guarantee, but it's a bit thin. What makes this so different? Link it to results and proof.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the detailed feedback. While I agree with the overall analysis, I think you might have not considered a few things.

1. The biggest question people have with all of this is "what is MTurk?" Failing to front load that core element on which the book is based will leave people confused, making everything else on the page meaningless.

If I link you to a landing page with a value proposition - "Best Accessories for Garatoopsies," your first question would be "WTH is a garatoopsy, and why do I need accessories for it?" I think failing to address that before anything else would lead to a train wreck.

The main value proposed isn't in telling the reader what MTurk is though. It is in teaching them how to use it efficiently and maximize their earning rates.

2. I am staying away from the "proof" approach, as that generally comes off spammy, and I'm steering clear of a hard sell. My current earnings on MTurk are so much higher than the norm, that if I used those numbers to promote this, I would feel bad doing so. Why? I'd be selling nearly false hope, because the circumstances leading to such earnings are incredibly rare on the platform. So instead, I have stated realistic numbers that anyone can make with the right effort.

In other words, I don't do "How I Made $21,732.58 on MTurk in One Weekend" type selling.

3. I agree the copy with the icons can be optimized, and I will do so.
However, it does state that it amounts to a maximized earning rate. Which is the primary value of this.

4. "It's a great time to work from home" is used in that section, because indeed, it's a great time to work from home. The publishing of this book coincides with a global pandemic, which has made it incontrovertibly a great time to work from home. That is the hook. More than ever, people are looking for ways to earn remotely, and this offers them a path to maximizing one of their options.

Like most landing pages, this is a work in progress, and can always be improved/optimized. So even though I might have not fully agreed with all the points you made, it doesn't mean I won't consider them in future optimizations. It also doesn't mean I don't appreciate them.

The landing page has a pretty high conversion rate so far, so I know it works. I also know anything can be improved upon, which is why I'm still taking and implementing feedback. Thanks again.

NanetteD

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Nov 13, 2019
Amsterdam, NL
The landing page has a pretty high conversion rate so far, so I know it works. I also know anything can be improved upon, which is why I'm still taking and implementing feedback. Thanks again.

Thanks for your reply. I get carried away sometimes and shouldn't forget that I make assumptions a lot in such a quick feedback process.

it is a decent way to earn a side income significant enough to get any aspiring Fastlaner off the ground, with additional funds to pump into their fastlane hustle. Whether that is running ads for their business or buying small items to get some bootstrapping action going. Or for anyone who simply wants the option to make some money online during their down time.

I like this part. This seems to hit the sweet spot for me of what MTurk is under the hood & for whom and it ties the value of your eBook to a result in terms of not losing precious time in figuring this out/getting it right.

Do you have a feedback loop with clients who purchased and implemented your strategy? Just curious.

Tim Wallace

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 29, 2020
U.S
I like this part. This seems to hit the sweet spot for me of what MTurk is under the hood & for whom and it ties the value of your eBook to a result in terms of not losing precious time in figuring this out/getting it right.

Do you have a feedback loop with clients who purchased and implemented your strategy? Just curious.

Thanks. Yes, I send them an email a few weeks after purchase, to see how it's working out for them. It has all been positive so far.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Btw. you might post MTurk task that will point to your webpage.

Tim Wallace

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 29, 2020
U.S
Btw. you might post MTurk task that will point to your webpage.

Thanks for the suggestion, but existing users aren't my primary target, as most are already part of one of the forums. So they might feel they can just keep asking people questions.

Also, if I posted a thinly veiled promotional "task" on MTurk, it would probably get reported and flagged in no time.

Tim Wallace

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 29, 2020
U.S
Update: The conversion rate has been decent over time. Thanks for all your useful feedback.

I left the 50% Fastlane50 discount I had posted in the original post and Sell Me Saturday back then active. In case someone still needed it. In addition, I had offered to make the book available for $1, to anyone here who thought it could be useful to them, but couldn't afford it. Let me know, and I'll send you a code for that.

You certainly won't get rich by implementing anything in this book (this is no Millionaire Fastlane :) ). However, you will consistently get enough to channel into bootstrapping fastlane ventures. Thanks!

Tim Wallace

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 29, 2020
U.S
Hi all, in addition to the offer above from last year (which still stands), if anyone wants to read the book for free, it is also published on Scribd. If you don't have Scribd, you can simply sign up for their 30-day free trial, to read it. I'll appreciate it.

You can also find it on Apple Books, Barnes&Nobles, Kobo, Bibliotheca, BorrowBox and several other places.
Just search the name on there: MTurk Money - Step by Step to Making Money Efficiently on MTurk.

Remember to channel whatever money you make from MTurk into a business. Do not aim to make it a primary source of income, even if you start making enough on it to cover your basic needs. I can't emphasize this enough. Good luck!

Tim Wallace

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 29, 2020
U.S
Update:

It's been about three and half years since publishing this guide. Some random observations in that time:

1. Of the different sales channels I published this (other than my site), Scribd has had the most traction.
Not too sure why, but it's been the most consistent.

2. I never published it on Amazon. I didn't publish there because I didn't want to risk my Amazon worker account, if anything went wrong.

3. Mini "influencers" on fiverr and such can bring in a few book sales, via their social media. I got some sales that way, but the effort doesn't always pay off. So it's hit or miss.

4. I tried some small-time traditional and online radio ads as well, just for sh*ts and giggles. Zero effect.

5. I recently posted it on Etsy, but didn't attempt to promote it beyond the free offsite promotion they offer. Little to no views there. I'll test out a paid promotion for a month and see if there's a positive ROI.

6. Facebook ads I ran in the earlier days didn't yield any sales. They were averaging $1/click. About $100 later, trying different creatives and target audiences, it didn't seem like the best fit. I might revisit it, but I'm not very fond of FB these days, so I'll likely try IG instead.

Overall, it's always nice to have things out there trickling in some revenue on their own.

Tim Wallace

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 29, 2020
U.S
Update:

1. Etsy listing didn't make any difference. Understandable, since Etsy isn't exactly geared toward books. The impressions were very low, and no sales.

2. Other than the book's website, Scribd (now Everand) still yields the most sales. When listing the book on sales channels at launch, I wasn't too familiar with Scribd and nearly skipped it. Glad I didn't. So if you're publishing a book, try it too.

3. Apple Books and Barnes & Nobles are generating some sales action too, but nothing too notable.

4. I got someone to manage the IG page of the book, for a few months, to see if regular posts would move the needle. I can't say it did, but I also know the person wasn't making quality posts. They focused too much on selling, instead of providing value in the form of tips & tricks of using the MTurk platform. Eventually, I had them correct this and change focus, but next time around, I'll use someone with better skills.

This book is a minor project for me, but it's always nice to have something digital out there (at $19.99 in this case), with sales trickling in from different channels.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.