The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What do you guy and gals do to stay so focused?

Anything related to matters of the mind

DreamPursuit

Say a little, do a lot
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
May 18, 2010
South Carolina
I go through spells where I will get sidetracked or burnt out from working toward my goal. All it takes is someone bringing up an idea, visiting my favorite atv forum, or just taking a breather. I then am researching the idea someone brought up, reading any and everything on the forum, or doing something unproductive. Then by the time I realized that I am losing focus of my goal, I have wasted a lot of time.(Valuable) Any tips to help me stay right on track is greatly appreciated!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
I'm trying to get better at this myself, but here are a couple things that have started to help me:

1. Make a list of SMALL tasks that need to be done either the night before or the morning of the day they must get done. If you're working on a website, and you go into the day thinking "work on\finish the website" you're screwed from the start. That is a monumental task.

What if you wake up though, and see that you need to implement in recaptcha for the login system, then email some blogs about your website, etc. That actually seems doable and the thought of 'just a quick break' doesn't appear as often

2. Just do 10 minutes. It never turns out to be 'just 10 minutes'. If it does make sure you have small chunks to do (the above). Then if that's the case perhaps reevaluate if what you're doing is worth the time you need to invest.

M&T

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 2, 2007
Hershey, Pa.
Dream! If your goal is a big house. Then go tour a 2 or 3 million dollar mansion. If your dream is a nice car test drive a really expensive car. Put pictures up on the frig to look at. I like to watch MTV cribs to see how some wealthy people live.

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
The Rat Race does...

Being a wage slave is more than enough to keep me focused. Sacrificing my time because I am a slave to my paycheck is the greatest nightmare of my life. Quite the quality learning experience, though.

DreamPursuit

Say a little, do a lot
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
May 18, 2010
South Carolina
I think doing a list every morning when I wake up will be a big help. Every time I have something written down it feels it gets done quicker and easier. I think the test driving a Ferrari, Lambo, or a Porsche is going to be hard. I don't think the dealerships would allow a twenty year old to test drive one of their cars without out approved financing. Seems that my other option would be to try find someone with a Porsche, that would let me drive it for a few minutes. Man, I wish that I would have rented one of those cars when I was in Vegas last year. My problem then would have been that I would not want to return it. LOL I could place some pics of the lifestyle I want to live in a place that I frequent, when I am home. I do watch cribs from time to time. Thanks guys! Please keep the tips coming!

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
I have obsessive compulsive disorder when it comes to investing. I can't say what I do to keep it going - probably nothing; that's just how fate decided to wire me.

In the terms of the following video I am "future positive oriented" to an unhealthy fault.

[video=youtube;A3oIiH7BLmg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3oIiH7BLmg[/video]

I'm sorry that I couldn't be more helpful!

Good luck and godspeed!

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
A 3x5 card each day specifically listing the to do things for the day. I have long lists of things to do and get my small day to day stuff from the long list. I am also careful not to schedule too much into one day so I have some degree of flexibility.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
Write down a list of all the ways you spend your time. You're always focused, but you aren't always focused on something you want to have accomplished.

To be focused on one thing, you need to eliminate something else from having your focus. This isn't always going to be a direct activity, either... I spend a lot of time focusing on the idea of needing to focus more. :p

Aside from that, self-evaluation and experimenting should eventually let you make improvements over time. The biggest time I have focus and dedication is right before I go to sleep. I still usually tell myself "Ok! I'm good! I'm awesome! Right when I wake up, BAM! So much will be done!" ... But right when I wake up is when I have the absolute least amount of focus, motivation, and willpower. I'm lucky to feel motivated enough to stretch, or get up to get a drink and be rid of the almost painful dryness in my mouth.

I'm gradually shifting away from the habit of telling myself to write a list of tasks for the day the next morning, because that won't happen. I can write the tasks before I go to bed though.

Now... I find my greatest amount of focus comes from dictating whatever it is I'm focusing on to someone else. I could probably write a novel in a week if I had someone sitting there reading it as I go. That's something that works great for me, but it has problems.

Something that works for many people is accountability. If you tell people you are going to do this specific thing with that specific timeframe, and ask they kick your a$$ if you don't, that may work.
Hmm.. I'll have to use something like that myself more. If I literally promise something, I try to do it. I absolutely abhor breaking promises. But if I just say I will, or might do something, it doesn't matter to me if I don't. On that note, if I promise to myself, it also doesn't matter. It has to be someone else, and the more they care, the stronger the desire to fulfill it.

Hmm... To finish things off, I did read an article recently... Ah, here it is. How to Rebuild Your Attention Span and Focus

It's more about building your attention span than the kind of focus you mean (Or, I think you mean) though.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Write down your goals every day, every single day. Write down at least one thing you will do towards that goal each day and do it. Create that momentum and become addicted to it.

In every single success book written going back thousands of years, one item for success stands out. You are what you think about most of the time.

That line is paraphrased from Brian Tracy, but holds true. Think about your goals and ways to accomplish them most of the time and the motivation will be feed by the momentum that it creates.

ceoarob

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Aug 11, 2008
Atlanta, GA
For me, I have a vision of where I'd like my life to be.

What type of house, car, bike, etc. that I want to have. I see it every night before I go to bed and every morning before I officially wake up.

It natuarally gives me direction in my life because I know whether or not I'm following the path that I have laid out for myself. If I'm betraying myself, then I feel it. If I'm not taking action and being lazy, then I know.

So it essentially comes down to asking myself, "What is going to take me to my vision?" and taking action from there.

I DO get very worked up sometimes and start taking massive action, but sometimes I confuse productivity with taking action, so I've got to make sure that I'm focusing on the 20% that will bring me results as well as maintaining sanity.

------

But, I read Napoleon Hill's TGR for the sixth time or so. This time I was TRULY ready to receive what was in the book. When I read it, the words said, "Set a DEFINITE goal for yourself". And whenever I made things VERY specific for me (objective, dates, locations, etc) then things started naturally coming into my life that helped me out, I started taking more of the right actions, and I was more guided.

Before, I would get pissed and say, "Damn, why am I not taking action?" But it was because I didn't have any specific GOALS for myself. It's really the goals and the vision that matter most.

If I'm not motivated, then it's because I don't have a goal/vision for myself. Pretty simple.

Either I'm working towards my goals and my vision and being fulfilled, or I'm trying to deny its existence which in turn makes me feel like shit.

Your vision is inside you. It's always been inside you, it's just a matter of uncovering it and putting it on paper.

Jarnapal

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 20, 2010
Have you tried caffeine and a smoke ? It will wire your brain for success ;)

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
May I ask how committed you are to that idea/business?

When I am passionate about something, I get in-the-zone rather quickly, and don't even want to stop to take a bathroom break...

Maybe your passion simply does not lie with that project...

I agree with the smaller tasks....

Get the feeling of accomplishment... early in the task get one or two things done, scratch them off the list, and move on... building momentum by completing tasks is addictive for me.

Read the book The Power of Less... it has great tips and suggestions on that topic.

Something else that works for me is to login to Pandora, put classic music/baroque, headset on, and go at it... it helps me to reduce external noise and helps me to keep focused on the task at hand.

Do a search here in the forum, we have discussed that at length for the past few years... real gems in here. I would be surprised if none of those threads are a classic by now.

DreamPursuit

Say a little, do a lot
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
May 18, 2010
South Carolina
Thanks for all of the input. I have been bombarded with great ideas. I should be able to get me a good plan together to stay on track.

Rickson9- In the terms of the following video I am "future positive oriented" to an unhealthy fault.
In reference to the video, I am for the most part future oriented until I give in to the temptation and get sidetracked.

Runum- I am also careful not to schedule too much into one day so I have some degree of flexibility.
For the most part my schedule is somewhat flexible.

FDJustin-
I'm gradually shifting away from the habit of telling myself to write a list of tasks for the day the next morning, because that won't happen. I can write the tasks before I go to bed though.
I may need to write my list before I go to bed. I would study for test before I would go to bed, and it seemed to cause me to retain more information for the next day. I would also like to thank you for the link.

Bilgefisher- Write down your goals every day, every single day. Write down at least one thing you will do towards that goal each day and do it. Create that momentum and become addicted to it.
If I right my goals every day, that should really reestablish what I am working toward.

ceoarob- But, I read Napoleon Hill's TGR for the sixth time or so.
I have that book, and really enjoy reading it. I got half way through it, and got sidetracked. I have restarted reading it from the beginning. This time I will finish it. When I realize that I have gotten off track and how much time I have wasted, I am ready to kick myself in the butt.

Jarnapal- Have you tried caffeine and a smoke ? It will wire your brain for success.
Sorry Jarnapal, no smoking for me! The taste and smell is terrible. The only caffeine I get is from drinking some sweet tea. I cut sodas out two years ago. I feel a lot better after that.

DreamPursuit

Say a little, do a lot
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
May 18, 2010
South Carolina
May I ask how committed you are to that idea/business?
I pretty much summed up my goals in Kung Fu Steve's thread. https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/mindset-motivation/27893-need-huge-favor-everyone-2.html#post139895 I don't want to live that lifestyle, I will live that lifestyle!(Desire) I believe another contributing factor is that I am having trouble trying to find my niche into the Fastlane. When I do find my niche everyone better watch out! I will be like some success addicted maniac. lol It is not like I lose my focus all of of the time. This thread is mainly to help me learn others ways of how they stay focused. I can then take what I have gathered and use these tips to be more focused all of the time, rather then most of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fennec

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Oct 16, 2010
I usually suck at focus too. BUT when it comes to things I'm interested in, see potential in, and have control over, you can't pull me away. Such as my writing my ebook. I was slow at writing it at first, because it seemed like a monumental task that was so far away from making money...but now that it's done, I don't want my effort to go to waste, so I'm going mad writing articles and finding ways to market it!

Every time I get a sale (I've only had 4 so far, lol but then I just started last week), I get even more pumped up.

Jarnapal

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 20, 2010
Sorry Jarnapal, no smoking for me! The taste and smell is terrible. The only caffeine I get is from drinking some sweet tea. I cut sodas out two years ago. I feel a lot better after that.

I see, I'm eating primal. If I can't stay focused it's because I have eaten something not allowed. You have no idea how much food allergies can make your attention so bad.. That's why the ADD. It's not a disease or untreatable thing. It's the cause of food allergies or food additives.

I only smoke with coffee and vice versa but only because it leads my though process to success.

minamo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 11, 2010
I used to have a lack in concentration aswell,But since i try to focus on the result instead of the task things go alot better:).

Also it might sound silly, but breathing excercises help me alot too to keep my mind calm.

Henk.

DreamPursuit

Say a little, do a lot
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
May 18, 2010
South Carolina
I have been trying out the techniques above and they have been helping a lot. I am currently in the process of learning to meditate. lol Should help too!

NHS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 16, 2010
Not sure I understand how anyone can lose focus. I am so focused on my goals the first thing I do in the morning is check my black berry for messages to see how much money I made in my sleep.

I did get a little burned out running around this week. Didn't cause me to lose focus but I certainly needed a break to have some fun. Instead of heading into the office at 9am I went to the garage and took the porsche out for some a**hole style driving.

Again I never lose focus but I needed to break focus today to relax for a bit.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
My formula is as follows: l-tyrosine, 5-htp, clean diet and intense exercise 4 days per week. It gives me limitless focus. I'm a huge advocate of fitness. It contributes strongly toward focus and energy. If you take care of yourself physically, it's so much easier to push yourself in business

Loup_Noir

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 12, 2009
Glendale, Az
As corny/cliche as it may sound; cars have been my focus/passion since as long as I can remember. I work hard and better myself everyday to own what others would only dream about owning. Hell, I just bought a gen 2 viper last week in cash and I'm only 22. Each one I own is a reminder of a goal that I completed within a certain time frame. I believe the most important thing is to stick to your goals no matter what (having your lively hood depend on what you do help too as it creates tunnel vision).

CVentures1B12

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Oct 18, 2007
Richmond, VA
Probably boring response...but just to echo a lot of people already, I find it extremely valuable to make a list. I love lists. But not huge lists that get overwhelming, then you get nothing done.

But usually about 4-5 things per day, even if its just "Unload the dishwasher"...it feels so good to cross things off of a list. Then after you are done, you have free time and it really feels like you earned it, haha.

jassep

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 19, 2011
Perth, Western Australia
Try this idea on for size.

It's deceptively simple, but quite powerful when you "get" it...

"The only thing you can be guaranteed to get done today is the first thing you do immediately after your feet hit the floor when you wake up."

It's a paraphrase, which I learnt from late copywriter Gary Halbert. I think of, and use this idea a lot.

In your case, for focus, the idea is to do the one or two things that will give you focus, first.

Best,
Jason

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!