The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What did you learn in college?

Tapp001

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
May 24, 2016
Yeah. What classes? :cool:

Economics, Statistics, Enivonmental Stuff, some other International Studies Stuff, Policy Analysis, Government, Judicial Administration, and a selection of Law (constitutional, administrative, international, and equality).

Tapp001

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
May 24, 2016
@Tapp001 - I meant "what classes" with sarcasm. In the sense that I didn't go to or think much of my classes. Yeah, for me it was all introspection, partying and the like.

@Square1Hype Sorry. still some residual brainwashing I guess :) My real class was learning to work and motivate myself without a parent, and later on being independent. though I wasn't working for myself, I had to hustle to learn to stay in the city I wanted to live.

Classes in general were good for learning how to absorb information quickly and write relatively well. Not that you need to school to learn those things.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
My alcohol tolerance.

I don't regret going, I took a bunch of classes that I liked, with professors that I liked.

My marketing classes were useful, mainly because they weren't about memorizing concepts but instead based around case analysis after the fact.

My finance classes were, for the most part, useless. However, I did learn important concepts such as time value of money and how to make financial decisions knowing only the potential cash flows.

Statistics classes were probably the most useful classes I took.

Psychology classes were interesting, but I don't know anyone who would say psychology isn't interesting. Everyone wants to learn more about how they work.

I gained a work ethic in university because it was actually pretty difficult for me (unlike high school, which I breezed through). So, unlike some geniuses, I had to work pretty hard to get A's. But, unlike most students, I was actually willing to put in work to get good grades.

I'm in debt, though, which sucks.

Verdict: I don't regret it overall but I probably would have achieved my goals faster without going

NetBorn

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Mar 25, 2016
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I learned a lot in my tech education. I majored in Electrical Engineering and I learned how to program, how operating systems and device drivers work, how computer chips work, how to design and build electronic devices and how many other aspects of our technical world work. I also majored in Philosophy, where I learned how to apply logic, how to debate and, most importantly, how to think critically -- skills that helped me navigate the business world and allowed me to quickly move up the management chain at a couple of the most prominent tech companies in the world.

One of those companies paid for me to go back to school to get my MBA. In business school, I learned about macroeconomics, finance, operations/logistics, supply chain management, negotiating and other tactical business applications. When I left the corporate world, I was able to use my business education to start a very successful business -- which hinged on many of the concepts I learned in business school -- and now I'm onto my next business.

My current business is all about improving technical education, so my technical education was immensely important to this business, as it provided me the problem I'm trying to solve...

Not convinced.
Also the things you mention are taught in good high schools - we were designing circuits, playing with micro-controllers ... you sound like a guy claiming the army taught him a lot - yes that it is. If you want to believe that buble how it was all great and that makes you feel fulfilled OK, but don't make up things about chips helping you make grow in the career. Also I had philosophy classes, my girlfriend in university was graduating that, too ... What you were sold is confidence, illusion, placebo and it works ... but if you are at some point wise - you will look beyond that.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NetBorn

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Mar 25, 2016
I think you're confused. I wasn't trying to convince you of anything. I was stating my personal experiences and their relevance to my life.

If you don't share those experiences, no problem. But, trying to argue with my experiences makes no sense.

Cool...take your high school tech education and go try to get engineering job offers from Google and Microsoft, get a couple engineering patents and start a tech product company -- if you're successful, THEN we can talk about how much you learned in high school. Until then, it's probably safe to say I learned a bit more getting my engineering degree...

Given the logical fallacies in your post, I think it's safe to say that you probably didn't get as much out of your philosophy classes as you should have.

Wow, your insecurities run deep, don't they? I'm not a therapist, but based on many of the posts I've read from you, I suspect you are seriously trying to overcompensate for something...

Sure, those are strong arguments, and you're not defending yourself by attacking me ?
Here is an argument : What do you think made you successful ? The tech knowledge or the clear vision what you actually want ? The philosophy courses or the will to act and perceive it, because you know why you want it ... Are you slightly getting what I mean ?

And about my high school education, officially half of the tech companies here are run or owned by graduates of my high school, so don't talk to me about job offers - we had a lot of doors open before even stepping into university.

rc08234

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2011
South Jersey
How to cheat and pladgerize, and how to talk my way out of it when I got caught pladerizing

SSimz

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 21, 2015
Canada
I took computer science and networking in college.

Biggest take away from college was learning how to be an efficient problem solver

blackbrich

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern USA
In actual school:
Learned a lot in civil engineering that I currently do not use due to never finding a job in my field.

From a lab position at the school:
How to read academic papers.
How to spot BS in academic studies.
How to set up an experiment.
How to think scientifically.
About Korean BBQ.
Learned that biology is interesting when you don't turn it into a rote memorization exercise.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.