The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

what am I missing?

camski

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 24, 2007
Noblesville, IN
I hear a lot of the doom and gloom about subprime lenders and rising bankruptcies and the housing bubble, but for me as a beginning real estate investor it causes me to be optimistic. My thoughts are that as property values drop and more and more people lose ownership of their homes this will create an opprotunity for me to buy property at a reduced price. In addition people have to live somewhere so while many of these people are losing their homes to bankruptcy they are moving into rentals. So what am I missing lower prices on RE and an increase in the amount of renters needing housing. How is there not opportunity here?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
The issues within the subprime/lending market have created great opportunities for real estate investors.

There are a few threads in this forum, which I would recommend reading, if you have not already:

icon1.gif
Foreclosure Market Discussion

icon1.gif
preforeclosure note buying thought

While the changes in the market have presented massive opportunity, it has also created some challenges. The financing of real estate, for example, has become more difficult. Most banks are getting killed on the RE portion of their portfolio, which makes them hesitant to hand out more money. It is certainly not impossible to find financing - just more challenging. Part of our business model requires that we obtain a type of financing which is tough to find, in ANY market (stated income, based on appraised value, no seasoning requirements, cash out refi).

We are still able to find it, we just that we have to look a little harder.

Sounds like what you might be 'missing' is a plan to execute, so that you might best take advantage of the market at hand. Educate yourself, ask lots of questions & I would definately recommend paying attention to Reipro's conference calls.

It is an excellent time to buy. We see more deals than we know what to do with.....so we try to cherry pick the best of the bunch, recycle the funds back out and start over.

Make sure you understand both the opportunities and the challenges, mitigate and move forward.

camski

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 24, 2007
Noblesville, IN
No I think you misunderstood a little bit of what I am saying. I have the plan and am working it, what I meant is what am I missing in my logic? What I described is opportunity, not just for me but for everyone, and yet the common concensus is that you should stay away from real estate. I, on the other hand say that you should be preparing to dive in due to all the bargains that will be available. Just wanting to see if most of you agree or can punch holes in my argument. As far as financing goes I deal with a small local bank(with whom I have a great relationship)a nd have very good credit history and score so that isnt a problem.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
What I described is opportunity, not just for me but for everyone, and yet the common concensus is that you should stay away from real estate.

The common concensus is for people buying common homes (primary residence) in common areas. Most common advice is in direct conflict with fastlane advice. This is why most people are stuck in the rat race. This advice falls in the category of turn your money over to a financial planner, invest for the long term, save and diversify.

I don't think your logic is faulty at all. I see the market in the same light, as do most other RE investors. Keep workin' your plan and keep us posted! Carpe Diem!

Adam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 12, 2007
Minneapolis
Now is a great opportunity to buy because so many others have been pushed out of the "race." The issues in the credit markets have caused many investors to pull back (or go out of business) and this has prevented many from purchasing these "great deals." The really small guys can't get their stated investment property loans, the medium sized players are having their own liquidity issues and are losing their credit lines and for the really big guys, the spreads have increased on their leveraged purchases, causing them to pull out of deals because there is now increased layers of risk due to thinned profits from the increased spreads.

So many of the reputable players are out of the game and this has scared so many people. This has caused people to be hesitant of the RE market, but at the same time, created much opportunity for others.

camski

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 24, 2007
Noblesville, IN
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/I/IN_INDIANA_FORECLOSURES_INOL-?SITE=WBBMAM&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

This story just illustrates what I am talking about. Bear in mind I live in Indiana.

A study by the Mortgage Bankers Association found that 2.98 percent of all loans in Indiana are in foreclosure, compared with 1.28 percent nationally.

That puts Indiana behind only Ohio in terms of foreclosure rate.

The Center for Urban Policy and the Environment also studied Indiana's foreclosures from 2002 through 2005 and found a higher concentration in urban areas. That study also found that these areas are spreading each year.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
.... what I meant is what am I missing in my logic? What I described is opportunity, not just for me but for everyone, and yet the common concensus is that you should stay away from real estate. I, on the other hand say that you should be preparing to dive in due to all the bargains that will be available.....

YOU ARE NOT MISSING ANYTHING. YOU ARE ONE OF THE SMALL MINORITY THAT ACTUALLY "GETS IT."

WHO CARES WHY THEY STAY AWAY. THEY HAVEN'T INVESTED THE TIME TO LEARN AND TO IMPLEMENT STRATEGIES.

CONGRATULATIONS.

8 SNAKE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 15, 2007
Midwest
I'm certainly not an expert in REI, but I do have a general observation that I'd like to hear more about. I think that a lot of "investors" are eager to throw their money into REI right now because they're reading about all of the doom and gloom. When I say "throw their money" I mean it quite literally, because many won't understand REI and just assume they're getting the deal of a lifetime right now. Later, they'll be the second wave of foreclosures when they find out that they can't unload their properties for the massive profits that they envisioned when starting out.

None of this is to suggest that now is a bad time to invest. It's just an observation that I predict a lot of "investors" will lose their shirts and prices will bottom out more than once. I'd love to hear some other opinions.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Personally, I'm excited to start into RE right now. I figure if I can make it now, any other time will be a breeze. Screwy logic, but it motivates me.

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
My apologies, Camski. I misunderstood you.

I agree with Yves and Randall - the very nature of who we are (most of the personalities on this forum) means that we are designed to think against the grain. When the general population is up in arms about the latest issue, we tend to look the other way - for the opportunity, which is often created in such situations.

Our company has definately noticed - in our local market of Northeast FL - that many of the other investors have dissapeared. We talk to our Title companies and they tell us there are very few companies who are still coming in, regularly, for closings.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.