The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

What a broken down Breitling watch might tell you about yourself.

Danny Sullivan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 2, 2018
Germany
As i turned 19 i took a decent amount of money (for beeing in vocational training at a local tuning parts manufacturer) and bought a Breitling watch.

I did so because i already had a nice car and wanted people to recognize "I am someone" when my car is not around. Yep...

This is how i valued luxury items like a watch in that time.

Fast forward to this day and the struggle i had over the past 6 years i was not wearing this watch for 5 years until recently. But the battery was dead.

So i brought it into a luxury watch store in my city. Turns out the battery leaked and destroyed the mechanic inside the watch.

Now picture me, standing there with the most cozy but not rugged looking jeans, shoes and top i found that morning, inmidst people dressed like they're heading to the opera - where even the salesman drive Porsche at least, wear suits or dresses and obviously expensive watches or jewelry (40k millionaires?).

The lady infront of me is explaining me what's wrong with the watch and that it needs to be send to Breitling directly so that they can repair it. But there's a catch:

Lady: "We need to send your package value insured and Breitling itself will provide you with a costs estimate on what needs to be done to repair your watch."

Me: "And how much would that probably be?"

Lady: "It's 65 € for the value insured package and around 85-150 € for a costs estimate from Breitling. But the value of the watch is sure worth it."

Me: "Yeah, the value of the watch is sure worth it, but my understanding of value is not. I'll take the watch with me again. Thanks for your efforts."

Almost everyone in the store was looking at me, as if they'd pity or belittle me for not spending that "small" amount of money on a watch.

15 years later from buying this watch with superficial intentions, this has become completely irrelevant to me, because my priorities changed. There are so much more useful things that i can do with probably 800-1000 € in my pockets, rather than repairing a thing that shows time and looks nice on my wrist.

So next time you find yourself in an "hostile environment" where you're obviously acting "out of sidewalkers script", take a step back, overcome the uncomfortness of the situation and think "does this really matter to me? or am i doing this for superficial reasons?"

This was a great lesson for me and i'm glad it happened like it did.

I packed the watch back into its box, put it into my wardrobe and never spent a single thought on it again.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Healthfulness

Bronze Contributor
Oct 7, 2018
Denmark
Ca
As i turned 19 i took a decent amount of money (for beeing in vocational training at a local tuning parts manufacturer) and bought a Breitling watch.

I did so because i already had a nice car and wanted people to recognize "I am someone" when my car is not around. Yep...

This is how i valued luxury items like a watch in that time.

Fast forward to this day and the struggle i had over the past 6 years i was not wearing this watch for 5 years until recently. But the battery was dead.

So i brought it into a luxury watch store in my city. Turns out the battery leaked and destroyed the mechanic inside the watch.

Now picture me, standing there with the most cozy but not rugged looking jeans, shoes and top i found that morning, inmidst people dressed like they're heading to the opera - where even the salesman drive Porsche at least, wear suits or dresses and obviously expensive watches or jewelry (40k millionaires?).

The lady infront of me is explaining me what's wrong with the watch and that it needs to be send to Breitling directly so that they can repair it. But there's a catch:

Lady: "We need to send your package value insured and Breitling itself will provide you with a costs estimate on what needs to be done to repair your watch."

Me: "And how much would that probably be?"

Lady: "It's 65 € for the value insured package and around 85-150 € for a costs estimate from Breitling. But the value of the watch is sure worth it."

Me: "Yeah, the value of the watch is sure worth it, but my understanding of value is not. I'll take the watch with me again. Thanks for your efforts."

Almost everyone in the store was looking at me, as if they'd pity or belittle me for not spending that "small" amount of money on a watch.

15 years later from buying this watch with superficial intentions, this has become completely irrelevant to me, because my priorities changed. There are so much more useful things that i can do with probably 800-1000 € in my pockets, rather than repairing a thing that shows time and looks nice on my wrist.

So next time you find yourself in an "hostile environment" where you're obviously acting "out of sidewalkers script", take a step back, overcome the uncomfortness of the situation and think "does this really matter to me? or am i doing this for superficial reasons?"

This was a great lesson for me and i'm glad it happened like it did.

I packed the watch back into its box, put it into my wardrobe and never spent a single thought on it again.
Can't you fix It and resell for higher price?

OP
OP
Danny Sullivan

Danny Sullivan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 2, 2018
Germany
Ca

Can't you fix It and resell for higher price?
Maybe,... i think it would be possible but i haven't looked into selling used / repaired luxury watches. But even if it sounds stupid, i'll keep this one around as a reminder.

Healthfulness

Bronze Contributor
Oct 7, 2018
Denmark
I
Maybe,... i think it would be possible but i haven't looked into selling used / repaired luxury watches. But even if it sounds stupid, i'll keep this one around as a reminder.
I actually thought that you might keep It as reminder, I think that's totally fine, you will make that amount It cost dozens or hundreds of times :D

Stargazer

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 8, 2018
England
Huh?

Luxury Watch Repairs

These guys send a free 'insured up to £25,000' box for you to post your watch and do a free appraisal and then advise on costs of repair.

So the cost to you to get the exact quote is zero.

Can't believe Germany does not have similar luxury watch repairers.

They have an online chat facility you can use to start ball rolling, you could at least use that for free.

Dan

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Aren't Breitlings expensive?

Point is ... reckless consumption for the sake of vanity can cause more reckless consumption. ;)

Kak

Who is John Galt?
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 23, 2011
The money allergy!

So so so many people are sidewalking idiots. Good post and nice story.

Luxury brand cars are my favorite to berate sidewalkers for. They are the exact market 9/10 of these cars are developed for. 50k employees think they are big shots in their 3 series or CLA Mercedes... in reality, they are pathetic. It's insane to me. I have radar for that bullshit a mile away.

Last edited:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Take it out and display it on your desk. That story may help you land a massive business deal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
-- HALLOWEEN SPECIAL STARTS TODAY! Get any of my courses at Udemy's current best price through Friday! Use code: HALLOWEEN Use any of the links...
Top Bottom