• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Sidewalk What a broken down Breitling watch might tell you about yourself.

Discussion in 'Chat Scripted Dogma/Indoctrination' started by Danny Sullivan, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Danny Sullivan

Danny Sullivan Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,008
    As i turned 19 i took a decent amount of money (for beeing in vocational training at a local tuning parts manufacturer) and bought a Breitling watch.

I did so because i already had a nice car and wanted people to recognize "I am someone" when my car is not around. Yep...

This is how i valued luxury items like a watch in that time.

Fast forward to this day and the struggle i had over the past 6 years i was not wearing this watch for 5 years until recently. But the battery was dead.

So i brought it into a luxury watch store in my city. Turns out the battery leaked and destroyed the mechanic inside the watch.

Now picture me, standing there with the most cozy but not rugged looking jeans, shoes and top i found that morning, inmidst people dressed like they're heading to the opera - where even the salesman drive Porsche at least, wear suits or dresses and obviously expensive watches or jewelry (40k millionaires?).

The lady infront of me is explaining me what's wrong with the watch and that it needs to be send to Breitling directly so that they can repair it. But there's a catch:

Lady: "We need to send your package value insured and Breitling itself will provide you with a costs estimate on what needs to be done to repair your watch."

Me: "And how much would that probably be?"

Lady: "It's 65 € for the value insured package and around 85-150 € for a costs estimate from Breitling. But the value of the watch is sure worth it."

Me: "Yeah, the value of the watch is sure worth it, but my understanding of value is not. I'll take the watch with me again. Thanks for your efforts."

Almost everyone in the store was looking at me, as if they'd pity or belittle me for not spending that "small" amount of money on a watch.

15 years later from buying this watch with superficial intentions, this has become completely irrelevant to me, because my priorities changed. There are so much more useful things that i can do with probably 800-1000 € in my pockets, rather than repairing a thing that shows time and looks nice on my wrist.

So next time you find yourself in an "hostile environment" where you're obviously acting "out of sidewalkers script", take a step back, overcome the uncomfortness of the situation and think "does this really matter to me? or am i doing this for superficial reasons?"

This was a great lesson for me and i'm glad it happened like it did.

I packed the watch back into its box, put it into my wardrobe and never spent a single thought on it again.

JamItFast, TinyOldLady, Gary and 3 others like this.
  2. Healthfulness

Healthfulness Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $127
    Ca
    Can't you fix It and resell for higher price?

ZF Lee and TinyOldLady like this.
  3. Danny Sullivan

Danny Sullivan Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,008
    Maybe,... i think it would be possible but i haven't looked into selling used / repaired luxury watches. But even if it sounds stupid, i'll keep this one around as a reminder.

4. Healthfulness

Healthfulness Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $127
    I
    I actually thought that you might keep It as reminder, I think that's totally fine, you will make that amount It cost dozens or hundreds of times :D

5. Stargazer

Stargazer Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $808
    Huh?

Luxury Watch Repairs

These guys send a free 'insured up to £25,000' box for you to post your watch and do a free appraisal and then advise on costs of repair.

So the cost to you to get the exact quote is zero.

Can't believe Germany does not have similar luxury watch repairers.

They have an online chat facility you can use to start ball rolling, you could at least use that for free.

Dan

6. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $343,991
    Admin Post
    Aren't Breitlings expensive?

Point is ... reckless consumption for the sake of vanity can cause more reckless consumption. ;)

7. Kak

Kak Capitalist Swine Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $18,966
    The money allergy!

So so so many people are sidewalking idiots. Good post and nice story.

Luxury brand cars are my favorite to berate sidewalkers for. They are the exact market 9/10 of these cars are developed for. 50k employees think they are big shots in their 3 series or CLA Mercedes... in reality, they are pathetic. It's insane to me. I have radar for that bullshit a mile away.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    ZF Lee, TinyOldLady and NanoDrake like this.
  8. ZCP

ZCP Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $21,115
    Take it out and display it on your desk. That story may help you land a massive business deal.

ZF Lee likes this.