• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Atomic Habits by James Clear

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Atomic Habits, by James Clear (Review | Discuss)

website name

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by yveskleinsky, Aug 27, 2007.

1. yveskleinsky

yveskleinsky Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,708
    I am currently working on a site that I'm hoping will revolutionize the way business is done. That's all I can say right now :smxB:. (Sorry to be so annoyingly vague.) My problem is right now I am trying to find a good name for my site. Should I go with a name that accurately sums up what it is, or should I go with a non-sensical word? I know that this is a seemingly abstract questions seeing how there is no mention of the product or the use of the product- but what makes for a good domain name in your opinion?

2. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $365,242
    Admin Post
    First rule of thumb: NO DASHES
    Second: Shorter, the better.
    Third: .COM ONLY
    Fourth: The odds of finding something decent available at the registrars is slim and none. You will need to use the 2ndary market and pay for it.
    Fifth: The best names avoid possible misspellings and vocalizations. For example: A domain name with "bureaucracy" in it is poor simply because the name is commonly misspelled.
    Sixth: Try to get derivatives: When I registered this name, I registered BOTH "TheFastlaneToMillions" AND "FastlaneToMillions". Also notice, "fastlane" and "millions" are rarely misspelled. Plus, if I say audibly "Visit my website at 'the-fastlane-to-millions' a person can easily remember it, and access it.

Secondary Markets:
    TDAM.com
    Afternic.com
    LeaseThis.com
    Search Google: Domain name aftermarket

good luck.

LightHouse, FT1 and Peter2 like this.
  3. Peter2

Peter2 Fastane Legend. RIP.

Rep Bank:
    $10,732
    Good information MJ.

Rep ++++

4. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $365,242
    Admin Post
    thx Peter, also Dana, if you want me to review your domain choices, PM me and I will tell u which ones are the best and most brandable.

5. Sehcill

Sehcill Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $204
    Alliteration is also a good tactic, as long as the last letter of a word isn't the same as the first letter of the next word. Camelcase notation is clear for print advertising purposes. Examples:

NewsNetwork.com (N-N)
    BargainBooks.com (B-B)
    (not sure if these are sites or not; I'm sure they are)

Alliteration (same starting letter) helps a lot, in my opinion.

-Jason

tolukareem and MJ DeMarco like this.
  6. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $365,242
    Admin Post
    :iamwithstupid: Also, great tips. Time to leave no parking ... speed++

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Be in the Moment Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,695
    One of the "tips" from a book I am reading... Art of the Start is to chose a one word name that could be used as a verb.. In your ideal world, your company name enters the language itself.

We xerox a document - rather than make a copy of it.
    We google the information - rather than do a search on the internet for the information.

Place your name in this sentence...

________________ it.

8. Allthingznew

Allthingznew Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $85
    This doesn't help with choosing a name, but once you've chosen your name and it's available, consider also acquiring any very common typos. Many people type directly into the address bar and if they type it wrong, using a common typo can still get them to your site, and it only costs for the domain name cuz you will point it to your correct name.

Another helpful tool can be this http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/

9. wildambitions

wildambitions Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $156
    Don't use numbers or letters that could be left out inadvertantly. It can/will result in someone else getting YOUR business.

True story:
    MLM company, list of names to choose from for domain names. I picked (not the real domain name for obvious reasons): "rewardsR4life", unknown to me someone else had "rewards4life". They were involved in the same MLM, when MY visitors misspelled MY domain name, they were directed to my COMPETITION! ANd THEY got MY sales!!!! :nonod:

10. ToddW

ToddW New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $35
    Checkout SEDO.com for a bunch of names for sale too.
    NEGOTIATION is key.

*SEDO SIDETRACK*
    I put in an offer of $100 for a domain and the seller countered with $5,000. I offered $125, and said they were asking to much, they countered for $4,000 I did the same but offered $150. To my surprise they accepted my $150 offer! SEDO takes $50, so they walked away with 100 bucks but started at $5000.

SEDO Lesson - Don't give up! Keep bargaining with them until you get it for a price you are ok with or until they close the negotiations.

MJ DeMarco likes this.
  11. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $365,242
    Admin Post
    Good story, good referral. .. . Speed++

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.