The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Website Cost

rsnyder312

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Feb 15, 2018
Michigan
Question for those who have done it....

How much would a good website cost you? I have done some minimal training on HTML and CSS through some great suggestions throughout this forum.

It would need the following two things (besides looking professional)
  1. User login capability for multiple customers to log in to their accounts
  2. A billing platform for recurring subscriptions through a secure biller
Am I overthinking this and making it seem much harder than it really is? Trying to figure out the best balance between business expense and grinding out the learning curve.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Aamir Ahmed

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 4, 2018
More details are required.
Logging on to their account- What does their account entail?
What are they subscribing too?
What other features are their for users?

DamienDee

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Jul 29, 2018
Hey bud,

I've been through this myself... Obviously I don't quite know your level of expertise, but I'll tell you my experience.

I have basic html/css experience, but I'm no web developer - I built a website which has multiple membership levels, a members only forum, it takes payments, some of thoes payments are onlgoing monthly, some are up-front depending on the product. The website communicates all purchases with my Infusionsoft database of course.

I did it all myself using a number of programs and plugins which I'm happy to list if you want to know.

This is what I learned:

1) You can do it all on your own, but be careful you're clear on what you need to accomplish, fully test each product/plugin out as much as you can before purchasing the paid version wiht all the features.

2) You'll have an inefficient website that's slower because it's running lots of plugins.

3) I saved myself $5k - $10k for the work.

4) After building the site, I paid someone $1000 to get my page load times right down, and streamline my site.

5) Since I built it all myself, it's now really easy to make ongoing changes. I could never go back to having to constntly communicate witha developer for every little thing.

6) Unless I had a LOT of money, I'd always build the site myself first, until my business concept was proven and profitable.

But I'm sure others here will have their own opions on this.

rsnyder312

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Feb 15, 2018
Michigan
More details are required.
Logging on to their account- What does their account entail?
What are they subscribing too?
What other features are their for users?
The biggest things that the account would need to do would be able to post in certain areas of the website, kind of like a forum but not quite, and receive direct messages from other users. The accounts would also have to be labeled by certain areas of business I.E. manufacturing, transportation, service ect..

The subscription would be either monthly or yearly (still in concept phase).

rsnyder312

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Feb 15, 2018
Michigan
Hey bud,

I've been through this myself... Obviously I don't quite know your level of expertise, but I'll tell you my experience.

I have basic html/css experience, but I'm no web developer - I built a website which has multiple membership levels, a members only forum, it takes payments, some of thoes payments are onlgoing monthly, some are up-front depending on the product. The website communicates all purchases with my Infusionsoft database of course.

I did it all myself using a number of programs and plugins which I'm happy to list if you want to know.

This is what I learned:

1) You can do it all on your own, but be careful you're clear on what you need to accomplish, fully test each product/plugin out as much as you can before purchasing the paid version wiht all the features.

2) You'll have an inefficient website that's slower because it's running lots of plugins.

3) I saved myself $5k - $10k for the work.

4) After building the site, I paid someone $1000 to get my page load times right down, and streamline my site.

5) Since I built it all myself, it's now really easy to make ongoing changes. I could never go back to having to constntly communicate witha developer for every little thing.

6) Unless I had a LOT of money, I'd always build the site myself first, until my business concept was proven and profitable.

But I'm sure others here will have their own opions on this.
This is awesome I really appreciate it! This is exactly the kind of thing I am looking to do.

What were some of your main plugins and apps used to keep everything organized? Is that what runs the individual accounts that users create?

DamienDee

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Jul 29, 2018
You're welcome.

So:

1) I use wordpress for my website (becuase of the sheer number of plugins it supports)

2) I use Divi Theme plugin (it is a website builder with a huge amount of customisability, and I can make a really good looking site with relative easse) Divi appears on a LOT of websites, but you rarely realise it.

3) I use MemberMouse to handle my memberships.

4) I use Stripe to process my payments

5) I use Leadpages for some of my squeeze pages (but you could do that in divi theme if you wanted to)

6) I use Zapier to communicate all my purchases /memberships to Infusionsoft (and a number of other systems that I need to inter-communicate.

7) I use cloudflare + w3 total cache to ensure my website is loaded up nice and fast.

rsnyder312

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Feb 15, 2018
Michigan
You're welcome.

So:

1) I use wordpress for my website (becuase of the sheer number of plugins it supports)

2) I use Divi Theme plugin (it is a website builder with a huge amount of customisability, and I can make a really good looking site with relative easse) Divi appears on a LOT of websites, but you rarely realise it.

3) I use MemberMouse to handle my memberships.

4) I use Stripe to process my payments

5) I use Leadpages for some of my squeeze pages (but you could do that in divi theme if you wanted to)

6) I use Zapier to communicate all my purchases /memberships to Infusionsoft (and a number of other systems that I need to inter-communicate.

7) I use cloudflare + w3 total cache to ensure my website is loaded up nice and fast.
I appreciate it man huge help! I have never known WordPress sites to be able to function as a membership type websites. Seems like a matter of weaving everything together and making sure it all plays nice.

therealmark

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Dec 27, 2017
Spokane WA
Definitely use WordPress. It’s perfect for starting out. There are other CMS platforms that are much more performant but you can piece together anything in WordPress.

Checkout the buddypress or bbpress plug-ins. Those should give you the user accounts and forum type functionality your looking for. I would also suggest looking at lifterlms because it does membership, billing and integrates with a heap of other products.

If your on WordPress and your building it yourself don’t skimp on hosting and security. Pay for a good wp host like WpEngine. It costs more but it has built in security, catching and other features that can make your hobbled together site perform at least average and help it from getting spammed and hacked constantly.

DamienDee

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Jul 29, 2018
DamienDee, did you use anything specific for the forum portion of the site?

Well there's lots of different forum software out there, but I found Vanilla Forum played very nicely when it came to integrating with Wordpress sites that already have membership software installed since they store the forum member records inside of wordpress, so that's what I used.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.