The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Webdesign: Website in the center or the margin

howard_two

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Apr 16, 2008
When viewing websites in a large screen monitor (over 24 inches) some websites open in the center, while others open to the left margin? Which one is advisable for better readability.

I am assuming CSS coding would be used for centering the site...What attribute would be used in this case?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
I haven't read any statistics on this so is just my personal opinion.

I like centered websites way more. On big monitors I find the others give way to much "white space" on the right and I have to resize my browser window.

That being said I'm making tests to see what works better, examples:

http://www.lesstaxfordocs.com (left)
http://www.assetprotectionforrei.com/ (center)

You can just do it with a table center aligned or if you like css more like this:

body {
margin:50px 0px; padding:0px;
text-align:center;
}

#Content {
width:500px;
margin:0px auto;
text-align:left;
padding:15px;
border:1px dashed #333;
background-color:#eee;
}

howard_two

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Apr 16, 2008
I haven't read any statistics on this so is just my personal opinion.

I like centered websites way more. On big monitors I find the others give way to much "white space" on the right and I have to resize my browser window.

That being said I'm making tests to see what works better, examples:

http://www.lesstaxfordocs.com (left)
http://www.assetprotectionforrei.com/ (center)

You can just do it with a table center aligned or if you like css more like this:

Thanks Jorge...Your websites look great, very professional and easy to read.:smx9: If I may make a suggestion, I too tend to like centered. It looks like http://www.assetprotectionforrei.com wins here. I always liked centered myself, I just didn't know if there was something encouraging the left alignment of a website especially that I saw some popular sites do it.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
I just didn't know if there was something encouraging the left alignment of a website especially that I saw some popular sites do it.

Actually there is. If you research the top websites for user preferences, a lot of left alignments are found. As an example, I think Bank Of America is way up there if I remember correctly.

You have to remember, many people still do not use wide screens, so for them, layout can make a huge difference in how the homepage loads. Their dollars are worth just as much as other web users, so I think that's where the diversification comes from.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Jorge did a great job though with his illustration of left alignment... He mentions white space, but his background and header are auto formatted to full width view, instead of "actual" white space like you see on many sites. Much, much easier on the eyes.

Since when did you get so good at web development Jorge? ;) Nice work!

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Thanks mt!

Actually I've been doing this for over 8 years so....

Regarding landing pages I've made the Landing Page Handbook my new Holy Grail :)

howard_two

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Apr 16, 2008
Actually there is. If you research the top websites for user preferences, a lot of left alignments are found. As an example, I think Bank Of America is way up there if I remember correctly.

You have to remember, many people still do not use wide screens, so for them, layout can make a huge difference in how the homepage loads. Their dollars are worth just as much as other web users, so I think that's where the diversification comes from.

Good point my friend.
However why is every website in the Google empire centered?
Why is Microsoft.com centered?
most of BOA's business is Brick and mortar? So maybe they do not care?
Again cnet.com, their biz is online...their site centered. Newegg.com...
Don't get me wrong Minuteman :rofl: I am not arguing with you...I am convincing myself here...How about that...:coco:

so far, I think Centered sites rule the land. I just got an answer from another web designer who said quite the same thing.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Thanks mt!

Actually I've been doing this for over 8 years so....

Regarding landing pages I've made the Landing Page Handbook my new Holy Grail :)

Holy Hell! 500 bucks for a book? lol I'm posting to make sure I found the right one...it's by Marketing Sherpa?

I hope this is one of those instances where you get what you pay for.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Holy Hell! 500 bucks for a book? lol I'm posting to make sure I found the right one...it's by Marketing Sherpa?

I hope this is one of those instances where you get what you pay for.

Yep. That's the one. One of my referral programs pays $500 for a closed lead. A good landing page can make that back in no time.

I've got the book too and swear by it. In fact, in a funny little side story - take a look at www.Trustsandwich.com at my recent pic. In the background, you can see the Landing Page Handbook. We took the picture fast and I didn't pay enough attention to what I had on my desk!

I'm sure Jorge is going to post our stats from the landing page campaign later today or tomorrow. I think he was up all night listening to his Blackberry go off with the number of people clicking for downloads! This stuff really works.

dhuang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 16, 2007
I am also a big fan of the centered layout. It gives a more clean and focused look. I usually tie in a dim gradient in the background to make the white space more appealing.

Yes, I have 24" monitor, and it is an absolute sin to browse the web in fullscreen with it. ;-)

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Well, stats for the first 24 hours, trust sandwich campaign:

Domain: www.trustsandwich.com (assetprotectionforrei.com)
Unique visits: 1,656
Reports emails: 723
Contact form leads: 270

Pretty good don't you think!? :)

mtnman, do you think we got our $500 back? hehehe

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.