The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Web Design Newbie

Davidc

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 27, 2017
Denver,colorado
I'm attempting to start a web design business.

I was laid off from my IT position five years ago and was not able to obtain another full time position. I'm 60 and had pretty much given up, as not many companies will hire someone at my age.

I joined this forum last fall and found the thread by @Fox about his web design business. I then joined his FB group and bought his course.

I have gone through the course and have also learned WordPress, HTML and CSS. I've also taken courses on SEO and copywriting. I'm now beginning to look for some clients in order to build my portfolio.

Hopefully, I will be another Fastlane success story.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Welcome aboard!

Perhaps being a seasoned gentleman will help in the web design realm. Many of the people you are selling to will be in a similar age bracket, and may appreciate working with someone who has some significant life experience beyond college.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

I was laid off from my IT position five years ago and was not able to obtain another full time position. I'm 60 and had pretty much given up, as not many companies will hire someone at my age.

I joined this forum last fall and found the thread by @Fox about his web design business. I then joined his FB group and bought his course.

I have gone through the course and have also learned WordPress, HTML and CSS. I've also taken courses on SEO and copywriting. I'm now beginning to look for some clients in order to build my portfolio.

How have things been going so far? What do/might you need help with?

Saf H

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 28, 2018
Preston, United Kingdom

Hey David,

Good luck with your new venture. Here's a tip to get new business :

Step 1 :

Setup 2 x Instagram accounts >
1. one average person account, with normal pics etc, dogs, scenery etc
2. your official business one, build it to at least 300+ likes organically first. Post pics of cool websites to populate your IG feed, (always credit original content creators) - the link in bio should be to your website.

Step 2 :

Go through niche hashtags: so start with e.g - baking.
Make a list of cool baking IG accounts with a high following, who sell cakes etc on IG, but don't have website or website is crap.

DM them from 1st IG account and say
"loving ur cakes etc, whats the link to your website?"
then might reply - "dont have website", etc....
so reply with " oh that's a shame, i know a friend who can help you out, who's made websites for us, here are the details... and then give your IG account 2 details".
(obviously, tailor the message to your subject)

Follow up after 2-3 days from 2nd IG account if theyve not DM'd you yet.

Work through wedding, arts and crafts niche etc etc.

From 100 DM's I used to get around 2-3 really good leads.

You'd be surprised how many people have massive IG followings but no website.

It's a hustle and time-consuming, but good free way to get up and running.

This is how is the strategy I used to get started when I was broke and got around $15-20K worth of jobs in 3 months.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Davidc

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 27, 2017
Denver,colorado
How have things been going so far? What do/might you need help with?

I' currently attempting to find some clients for my portfolio. I'm using FB groups, YELP and Google reviews.

It seems like almost everyone already has a website. Those who don't, don't seem to have much of a web presence at all. No recent reviews or posts on FB page.

I really don't want to try and redo an existing website. I might make it worse, e.g. it goes from page 2 to page 20 on google. And I don't have insurance yet to protect me against a lawsuit.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I' currently attempting to find some clients for my portfolio. I'm using FB groups, YELP and Google reviews.

It seems like almost everyone already has a website. Those who don't, don't seem to have much of a web presence at all. No recent reviews or posts on FB page.

I really don't want to try and redo an existing website. I might make it worse, e.g. it goes from page 2 to page 20 on google. And I don't have insurance yet to protect me against a lawsuit.

You're really over thinking things

Preserving rankings is simple, just set up some redirects if you change the URL and don't do anything obviously stupid.

Redoing existing websites is the easiest gig, IMO. You already have the content to work with, and already have the juice.

Much easier to sell someone who already has an outdated website that they need an updated one, than sell someone without a website on the need for one.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...