The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Web ads

Cowxq

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Mar 13, 2008
Hey guys! Just have a question to ask real quick!

Does anyone here know of or have any experience with other adsense type sites that aren't adsense? I'm not really liking the ads adsense has to offer as I don't want the ads to be related to the content of my site.(maybe there is a way to change this in adsense)

Just throw out any sites you know of and maybe if you can toss out a review that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Cowxq

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Mar 13, 2008
Thanks I'll check it out. The reason I want to try non targeted ads is because the ads google gives me are actually my competition and it doesn't help up my clicks having ads for something my viewers have no need for.

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
No problem. I don't know if that is the right approach though. I understand what you're saying about competition, but Plenty of Fish.com is a dating site and makes most of its revenue from other dating site ads. You might get no clicks if your ads are completely unrelated.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
The reason I want to try non targeted ads is because the ads google gives me are actually my competition

You can go into your adsense account and block ads from your competition.

But basically this may be exposing a business problem more than anything else. If you don't want people to click on your ads to go to related sites, then don't have them on your site.

If you have other "goals" for your visitors, your own products for example, then having adsense on your site at all it probably a bad idea.

Having mixed agendas on a website seldom works in my experience.

Cowxq

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Mar 13, 2008
Yea that makes sense I guess. So I guess my real question becomes if anyone here has experience with or knows the best way to go about getting the big time ads. My site has to do with video games and there are many sites I visit involving the same topic that have ads for things like Pepsi products, or phone companies, like actual major business related ads.

So then I guess my question becomes if anyone knows how to get into that part of the ad revenue. Do they come to you, do you go to them? Is there a site that sells these ads to high traffic players?

If you have other "goals" for your visitors, your own products for example, then having adsense on your site at all it probably a bad idea.

^ and I've been thinking this too, but I wasn't sure that if you used adsense and then over time when your site reaches enough views if that opens up the options for the big time ads.

Justin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Mar 19, 2008
Ok, so you have a site that displays adsense ads... and you want to get 'big' ads on there so you get more clicks?

Am I understanding that correctly?

Cowxq

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Mar 13, 2008
In a sense yes but at the same time no. The site is a baby still in the womb, I know I can't be reaching for the stars just yet.

It more so relates to planning for the future. So that when the time arises and I'm getting a massive amount of traffic I'll know the next step in making my site profitable from ads.

I just want to be prepared and know the steps I'm going to need to take from now till then.

Andrew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 8, 2007
You want big time ads that aren't related to your site? You should spend some more time researching internet publishing. Most of the big ad buys go to leading sites, either say top 1,000ish sites in the US, or the top handful of sites in a particular market. Check out quantcast.com.

Cowxq

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Mar 13, 2008
You want big time ads that aren't related to your site? You should spend some more time researching internet publishing. Most of the big ad buys go to leading sites, either say top 1,000ish sites in the US, or the top handful of sites in a particular market. Check out quantcast.com.

Thank you for the site link I'll check it out!

I guess what I really am getting at is who are the top players in terms of ad revenue on a site. Is it from private type transactions, as in "I'll pay you $200 a month to have my banner on your site" or is it through the "adsense" type way of publishing.

Do it this way. Say you owned one of the top 1-5 sites in a niche that has over 20+ million hobbiests like woodworking or something(and your normal user is from the age of 13-45 male). And on your site you have no ads. Is there a certain site/place/company you go to offering adspace on your site. So even though its a niche and not a mainstream media type thing you can be making the profits on ads you deserve.

I hope that makes what I'm searching for make a little more sense.

carlhuber

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 31, 2008
NY
You might be interested in checking out Chitika. I tried them for a while but they didn't fit my site. They might be good for yours. They're not "technically" contextual. You specify keywords in the coding of each ad's posting. They pay out a lot for digital cameras, generally tech stuff, and gambling and pharmaceutical ads. The question, then, is whether or not you think your readers would click on those types of ads.

But the Chitika setup is very nicely managed, just very targeted. If you think it'd jive with your readers, then it could be a great boon.

Of course, the site is just chitika.com.

Go nuts and good luck.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Once your site gets popular the advertisers will find you. Trust me, you'll think of their offers like spam you'll get so many.

Focus on building traffic, once you do that, you'll have no shortage of options on how to monetize it.

Cowxq

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Mar 13, 2008
You might be interested in checking out Chitika. I tried them for a while but they didn't fit my site. They might be good for yours. They're not "technically" contextual. You specify keywords in the coding of each ad's posting. They pay out a lot for digital cameras, generally tech stuff, and gambling and pharmaceutical ads. The question, then, is whether or not you think your readers would click on those types of ads.

But the Chitika setup is very nicely managed, just very targeted. If you think it'd jive with your readers, then it could be a great boon.

Of course, the site is just chitika.com.

Go nuts and good luck.

Wow thank you that is perfect for what I'm interested in!

Once your site gets popular the advertisers will find you. Trust me, you'll think of their offers like spam you'll get so many.

Focus on building traffic, once you do that, you'll have no shortage of options on how to monetize it.

Thats what I was thinking but just wanted to make sure! Thank you as well

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.