The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Wanting to start a website

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I recently joined this site after reading the millionaire fastlane , and came up with a website idea that I really think has some potential. My one problem: I have zero experience with web programming, and don't have the startup money to hire a programmer (as of now). So far, I have the concept and purchased the domain name.

What I am looking to teach myself is to create a website where I can do the following:

1) Post articles that I have written.
2) Allow users to create their own profile page that includes the ability to upload pictures, and microsoft word documents.
3) Allow users to place orders and pay via credit card for my products/services

Later on, I would like to ad other functions, but this is the basics for now.

If anybody could point me in the right direction where to get started (what programs to use, what code to learn, etc.), that would be greatly appreciated. Speak in a way that somebody with ZERO programming experience can understand (AKA me). I have all the time in the world to work on this right now.

Also, from what I stated so far, how much would it cost to hire an average programmer to build these features for me?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

awesom-o

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Aug 10, 2011
United Kingdom
Sounds like this could all be achieved by using wordpress with a few plugins plus a premium theme.

I'm sure you could get someone to do this for you on Odesk.com for a couple of hundred dollars but to be honest wordpress is so intuitive I would try and learn it. I was in the same position as you 12 months or so ago and now I have a decent understanding of WP just by using free resources on the internet to learn from.

Good Luck!

buckmajor

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Apr 28, 2009
Brisbane, Australia
Hajimemashite!

If you have all the time in the world then you can choose any particular programming language e.g. RubyOnRails. I am learning 'Ruby' from scratch so your not that far behind me. Search for the thread on FLForum link

Best of luck ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Sounds like this could all be achieved by using wordpress with a few plugins plus a premium theme.

I'm sure you could get someone to do this for you on Odesk.com for a couple of hundred dollars but to be honest wordpress is so intuitive I would try and learn it. I was in the same position as you 12 months or so ago and now I have a decent understanding of WP just by using free resources on the internet to learn from.

Good Luck!

Thank you for the responses so far. I have looked a little into wordpress, and got the impression that it is mainly used for small time blogs (am I correct, or can it be used for bigger sites too?). My goal is to build the site up to a very professional level with thousands of users creating profiles (which will be the main attraction of the page when I am up and running). Without going into details of my idea... Think of a myspace type profile where users create profiles, upload a picture of themselves, etc.

I just downloaded Joomla and am trying to get into it, is this something worth learning, or what other specifics can you recommend?

I think it is best at my skill level to take it one step at a time, I will look into building my articles and content on the wordpress side of things, and then build off of that to the profile features and so forth.

IanBorders

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 15, 2011
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Wordpress is used by some of the biggest sites out there, it's stable and a hugely active community, so it's easy and relatively cheaper to find people to help you work on it. What you want to accomplish can be done easily with Wordpress with the 'BuddyPress' plugin. I would advise you to stay away from Joomla, and Drupal for that matter.

There are literally hundreds of training options to get started learning WP in a matter of hours.

PPC Coach

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Nov 12, 2011
You can program this, I'm not sure why everyone here loves Ruby so much, but you can use that. I prefer php as it's simple and very powerful and used by more sites then anything else. (Wordpress was written in php too).

Anyhow, if you have zero experience, then you can teach yourself. It will take awhile but it's possible. You can also try outsourcing to a place like odesk.com for dirt cheap.

:)

jbuckingham

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Aug 18, 2011
CA
WordPress › Blog Tool and Publishing Platform and Joomla! will both do what you're looking for in the short term. Long term just depends on how complex you need your site to be. Wordpress is a bit more intuitive but it's meant as a blogging platform. But, you can incorporate buddypress. Joomla, meant as a CMS but also incorporates community builder... look them over. Learn about setting them up and testing on a local machine using wamp or xxamp ( I like wamp personally) and test away without doing it on the web. All free.

easymoney99

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Aug 3, 2011
Wordpress isn't just for small time blogs. You would be surprised to learn that Ford, Ebay, Yahoo, Wallstreet Journal are all using wordpress. And the list goes on. EVERYONE uses wordpress because search engines love it, website visitors love it, and webmasters love it.

I'm using wordpress myself and Fastlaneentrepreneurs.com is wordpress too. Install wordpress theres so much you can do with it. You can turn it into any kind of site. I have sites that are built with wordpress where you would never even guess it because it isn't a blog.

Theres plugins for nearly everything.

I'm willing to make a $500 bet that after you play with joomla, then play with wordpress you will choose wordpress lol. I did that too when I started off, my friend did it, and you are doing it too lol. Joomla is great, but in my opinion wordpress is just as good and much easier and more supported.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 13, 2011
California for now
Hi.
Building a website isn't hard. Make sure you have reliable affordable hosting. There are tons of host but you want to get one that provides you with everything plus great up time.

Wordpress is the best. Themeforest.com has a great selection of themes that prove the script is great for all websites. Joomla is nice but the plugins cost a ton and it's not great for beginners. I mastered Wordpress is 2 weeks. It took me almost a year to master joomla.

There are a number of webmaster forums out there that can help you in your website building journey. It sounds like you are looking to build a basic content site. My best advice would be to look for sites that admire you to build yours and see what scripts, plug ins and designs they use. Just view the source and you should be find.

Gary M

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Nov 9, 2011
NYC
Are you talking about wordpress.com or wordpress.org? And, is wordpress for blogs only or for any kind of website that I'd may want to build?

Thanks!

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Are you talking about wordpress.com or wordpress.org? And, is wordpress for blogs only or for any kind of website that I'd may want to build?

Thanks!

Normally you would just install wordpress through your hosting companies cpanel that they provide you.

USCguy09

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 30, 2011
don't mean to sidetrack the OP but since we're on the subject, I got a few questions myself.
If you want more control over customization of themes and php coding for example, it would be preferred to going with wordpress.org correct?

If your trying to index your site, how SEO friendly is wordpress as opposed to having a professional 3rd party doit for you?

Generally, what are the biggest drawbacks/potential hazards as opposed to building up a site yourself?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.