The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

violation of irs rules?

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I wanted to know if anyone knows just how much trouble someone can get in by not doing things in the appropriate time frames.

from what I understand all tax forms must be sent out by employers by 1/31.

a little background.

when we moved Lennys old job in pa had 401k profit sharing.

we got the paperwork to fill out for the 401k cashout in march of 07. filled it in and sent it back in april. we didnt get the distribution untill january 08. the check was dated 12/31. it was a generic company check with no stub. we had no idea what the original distribution was for. there was taxes withheld and also a fee for the manager of the fund. so all we got was a check. no info at all.

today in the mail I got the 1099-r from his former employer. it was mailed(by the post office stamp) on 3/27/08. it was forwarded from our old address on 4/9/08.

I just had to redo our taxes to include this income.

Is there anything I can do about this? the guy is a real tool and I know he did this purposely. Id really like to get him fined or something.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
$50 penalty for late file of the form AND a prime example of why it's better to extend your tax return.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
yeah thank goodness I havent filed yet. I did them yesterday but needed to make a deposit before I could file.(to pay for turbotax online)

thank goodness it came today instead of tommorow lol.

$50 fine tho. that sucks. I was hoping it was more. when dh gets home I will find out if he wants to report him or not.

is it $50 per offence? like if he sent everyones out late is it $50 per taxpayer or just $50 total?

thanks for the info Diane!

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
True. He's a jerk, but those are everywhere. You got your info, and you got it in time. He lost karma points. That's worse than $50, IMHO.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
yeah thank goodness I havent filed yet. I did them yesterday but needed to make a deposit before I could file.(to pay for turbotax online)

thank goodness it came today instead of tommorow lol.

$50 fine tho. that sucks. I was hoping it was more. when dh gets home I will find out if he wants to report him or not.

is it $50 per offence? like if he sent everyones out late is it $50 per taxpayer or just $50 total?

thanks for the info Diane!

Carrie, it's $50 per form. And actually, I bet he's already caught. He's supposed to file them the government at the same time. So unless he was just sitting on yours and mailed everybody else's, including the government, they already know and he's already been fined.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
I am going to try to fnd out. Lenny still talks to a bunch of the guys that still work for him as well as another guy who left just before lenny did so we will find out who got what when.

the guy that left before Lenny got his papers the same time we did and got his money in june whereas we got ours in january 08. I can pretty much guarantee that everyone else got there tax info when they were supposed to. he just sat on ours.

I will post an update when I find out for sure.

thanks for the information!

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
Carrie, it's $50 per form. And actually, I bet he's already caught. He's supposed to file them the government at the same time. So unless he was just sitting on yours and mailed everybody else's, including the government, they already know and he's already been fined.

Diane:

Is the requirement different for 1099-R?
I just filed the 1099's for 10 of our companies electronically (fire.gov?).
My deadline was 3/31/08 for those.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
$50 per employee.
But why waste the energy when you have so many better things to do?

I don't agree. Go after him and make him suffer and pay for what he's done. That is the only way to get rid of these $$@$#@%#$@%$%# so our system/society improves.
He did it because he is either reckless or incompetent so in any case he should not be doing this anymore. If you don't help to get him out of the system then who will? How many more people (even yourself down the road) will have to suffer him again and again?

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
from what I understand even tho you have untill 3/31 to file with the irs. the notices need to be sent to employees by 1/31.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
I don't agree. Go after him and make him suffer and pay for what he's done. That is the only way to get rid of these $$@$#@%#$@%$%# so our system/society improves.
He did it because he is either reckless or incompetent so in any case he should not be doing this anymore. If you don't help to get him out of the system then who will? How many more people (even yourself down the road) will have to suffer him again and again?

No way. $50 in not worth it. It's not enough of a punishment for anyone, and it won't get anyone kicked out of society. Don't work with him anymore, and that's that.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
as I am sure most of you already know I like to have the last word lol.

Its not the point of how much the fine is, its that I believe what he did was intentional. dont poke the bear unless your prepared to be attacked.

Lenny doesnt do anymore work for him. he stopped working for him in 10/06. this was a 401k distribution. the ties are severed now with obvious bad feelings on his part.(if he had treated his employees right Lenny would never have left. its a long sortid story what happened at the company and its why alot of people left)

He knows how I am. I like to have a budget and have all my ducks in a row. he knows that I pay attention to the details. I caught so many mistakes in Lennys paychecks over the years it was disgusting.

this was his last ditch attempt to screw with me. now If I report him I get the last word.

sure it wont break his business to pay a $50 fine. but the amount of aggrivation that he knows I caused is worth it to me lol. but as it is Lennys old job I will give him the final say on what we do here.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
Anyone need an eye? Someone took mine, so I took his, but I don't know what to do with it...

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
agreed, it is not about the fine. It is about reporting this guy and making sure he stops screwing people. Or at least making him know that people are watching him and that is just not right to treat people like that.
and again, if he keeps doing what he is doing and nobody stops him then how do you know you are not going to be the next one being screwed by him or others in the same "club"?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.