The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Vigilante's "Mind Your Business" Radio Show

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

ExecutionisKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 3, 2014
MI
Great show, thanks for starting that thread. Heard a lot of these quotes before, but along with all the other "failure is the quickest teacher/get started now quotes," the encouraging one for me was about how much harder it is to get to mediocrity from nothing than to spectacular from ok.

I’ve been doing a ton of research recently on seo, ppc, paid banner ads, retargeting/ all kinds of mktg techniques/headlines etc. Tons of info out there. Free (useless, too shallow), free with upsells, paid, “guru’s” who just want to help for the price of your email address and a dozen email upsells a week, etc.

So while it’s encouraging to see that getting to mediocrity from 0 is harder than going from 60-100, the problem is. I’m trying to solve a problem that I don’t have yet! I don’t have a site with a product to drive traffic to! I wanted to put everything together from my research and go after 2-3 of my options all at once, not sit with a dormant website, working to find out what advertising works best for me.

I can tell myself that this is necessary “process,” but I see now is that FAILING to drive ANY traffic to a site will help me eliminate what doesn’t work for Me VERY QUICKLY.
I keep picturing myself creating some kind of monumental site crash/marketing glitch and pissing off customers who then don’t come back and thus losing my “spot” in the market… but I don’t HAVE any customers!! So

Talk about delusions of anti-grandeur and irrational… I've been preparing myself to be completely ready for ANY traffic problems I would have by knowing everything I could need to know..
The perfect line (for me) for this is from what Cuban said to someone on the tank, “Sometimes, the perfect is the enemy of the good.”
So for me? I’ll worry about the product now. Traffic is only useful when I have somewhere for it to go.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Semmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 16, 2014
Canary Islands, Spain
We're coming back this Saturday for the first blast of 2015 of Mind Your Business... with an "Entrepreneur's Tool Kit" talking about free resources we use every day, from how we use Gmail to Dropbox, etc...

We'll also touch on GoDaddy, BigCommerce, Feedback Genius, and a few other tools we use all the time. We'll also talk about how to negotiate office space or virtual offices with Regus.

Anything you want to add? We can make some honorable mentions if you have "must use" resources for entrepreneurs that don't cost much if anything.

What resources do you find critical for a start-up entrepreneur?

Do you do paid "endorsements" like for the trackingsoftware solution trackingyoulove.com/trackingyouneed.com
or is there a way to create a segment about it? I am not sure how to reach you in person, so let me know.

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
I just listened to the last two episodes.

The auto episode was my least favorite. I came here to comment before it was even over. The first 15 minutes did not engage me. I realize you are in MN, but hockey talk in a business podcast? The auto show - drooling over the Mustang while talking down Acura for NSX celebrity endorsements alienated me (and probably others). I would take an NSX over a Mustang. Your praise of VW was too much (want to buy a 2009 Rabbit?). I have had 2 VW's and both were crap.

Please keep the majority of the show about business. Your opinion on hockey and cars is extra stuff that can cloud people's opinions of your business content.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Do you do paid "endorsements" like for the trackingsoftware solution trackingyoulove.com/trackingyouneed.com
or is there a way to create a segment about it? I am not sure how to reach you in person, so let me know.

At this point we are looking for national sponsors (fedex, etc...) but I will follow your progress for a while and maybe have you on the show at some point. Thanks for your interest though!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I just listened to the last two episodes.

The auto episode was my least favorite. I came here to comment before it was even over. The first 15 minutes did not engage me. I realize you are in MN, but hockey talk in a business podcast? The auto show - drooling over the Mustang while talking down Acura for NSX celebrity endorsements alienated me (and probably others). I would take an NSX over a Mustang. Your praise of VW was too much (want to buy a 2009 Rabbit?). I have had 2 VW's and both were crap.

Please keep the majority of the show about business. Your opinion on hockey and cars is extra stuff that can cloud people's opinions of your business content.

Love your feedback. We're experimenting. Interestingly enough, we have had the most positive feedback about the auto show of any of the shows we have done to date...too soon to tell if it will have the most downloads.

They actually want us to consider doing a car centric show as a result of the feedback that came in. Not sure I would, but Luke might.

BTW, the VW inclusion was solely based on reports from the car show. Neither of us are VW fans. However, that's the awesome thing about opinions. Usually people disagree but if you're a car fan, you'd find the content interesting anyway. I own a modified Mustang GT that has crushed a whole lot of cars. We're Mustang fans. The Mustangs at the car shows this spring are the hottest new item intros that are creating a buzz nationwide. It's totally cool if you disagree, but the buzz is from the car shows (in addition to us.)

At the end of the show, we discussed the $6,000,000,000 automotive aftermarket, and how an entrepreneur might get a piece of it. In fact, we scratched one idea off of the show (didn't talk about it) because as we mapped it out, we realized it is a business we likely want to poke around in. There's business content in nearly ANY product centric topic you might cover.

Can't win 'em all 100% of the time, but I am glad you listened none the less. The price is right.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
And on that note... I have spent the week hanging out in Florida taking in some sunshine and planning 2015... so we're not going to do a show this weekend. I will let you know when the next episode comes out so that you can get your fix.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
And on that note... I have spent the week hanging out in Florida taking in some sunshine and planning 2015... so we're not going to do a show this weekend. I will let you know when the next episode comes out so that you can get your fix.
Nooooooo!!!!

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
Love your feedback. We're experimenting. Interestingly enough, we have had the most positive feedback about the auto show of any of the shows we have done to date...too soon to tell if it will have the most downloads.

I tried to make my criticism constructive and thanks for letting me know others reactions. I also figured you two were Ford guys based upon what you drive.

I did listen to the whole thing and was amazed at the Amazon numbers.

Looking forward to the next one.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Great show! Pretty motivating to hear (as opposed to reading) the words of our forum members as I drove home. Made the Wife listen and she couldn't believe it.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I am interested in your perception, but more interested in your wife's comments. Please elaborate.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
I am interested in your perception, but more interested in your wife's comments. Please elaborate.
So that's a great question, Vigilante. Let me try and answer as best as I can.

Basically, I've been on this journey towards the FastLane (or independence, however one styles it) since I first read TMF early last spring. For the first part of that journey, it was literally "I" and not "We." But because I love and honor my Wife, I've been slowly working on her. Bit by bit, perception change by perception change.

She'd see me reading a book, and ask what it was ("Ultimate Sales Machine," or "TMF ," (again), or "The Lean Startup," or "The Little Red Book of Selling," and so on). I'd tell her and I'd get a "Hmm" in response.

Or she would listen to me talk about how these Real People on the Internet (who happen to post at TFLF) had done it: left employed slavery and made it on their own. Whether in Real Estate, or Software, or Ecomm, or whatever and that there was nothing stopping US from doing the same. Her response? "Hmmm"

Then we made the move from employed physician to Independent Contracting with a HUGE increase in money and more important to her, TIME.

Lots of Shark Tank and The Profit.

Then we launched the software startup. About this time the "I" became "We."

She's seen me getting up at 4 and 5 AM every morning so that I can work on the startup before the kids get up.

Then I was invited to speak at the meetup next month. That shocked her.

Then she listened in on the conversation where I told my ex-partner just how ridiculous his ideas, work ethic, and valuation was and how he didn't know the first thing about entrepreneurship. And that we were done as an entity.

And then she heard you quote me on the show. I told her all about your story, and she said to me,

"Holy COW. You really HAVE changed! We've really changed! And these people have helped us get there."
So anyway, while she isn't a podcast listener, she does like to have it streaming in the house on the weekends now. And she went and got our teen the Shark Tank book (which he's actually reading), and he's come around to me saying, "So Dad, when are we going to do an e-commerce thing?"

Bottom line: this podcast is pure GOLD for people like myself a year ago. At that early stage (and hah! Probably at this point for me too) your non-FLF listeners don't know enough in general so the varied themes are probably wonderful for them.

Thanks for the show man.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
She is the exact reason we do the show.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
No show this weekend, as Dave spent too much time hanging out on the Gulf Coast this past week.

Dave and Luke will be back next Saturday, interviewing the president of one of the top 100 Ford Dealers in the United States about how their family business was started by flipping cars from their home driveway.

Quit your job. Start your life.™ Mind Your Business, Saturdays at 12PM Central on Twin Cities News Talk.

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Thanks for the Show, just completed Episode One, so I have a bit of catching up to do but I'm sure it will be worth it.
Great Interview questions put to Sal, listening to Episode Two now.

Cheers

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Sure thing, that reminds me to finally update my i-tunes.
By the way, Haters might inadvertently contribute useful feedback who knows.

Hooked

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jan 11, 2013
Catching up on some more episodes this morning, just wanted to drop another thank you for all the great information you're bringing us!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
So we're back tomorrow for the first time in a few weeks with a new episode of Mind Your Business.

Luke and I will chat with Chris Gulbrandson, the president of the Apple Auto group in Minnesota. Apple owns several dealerships including the #32 largest Ford dealer in the United States.

His dad started this business... in college... flipping cars. For any of you wondering if you can make it the old fashioned way (through hard work) to find the worldwide equivelant of the American dream... this show is for you.

In short, they :

1. create value
2. do market leading things (they were the pioneers of non-commissioned sales)
3. excite their customers and
4. treat their employees as you would want to be treated

Chris also talks about the characteristics of his top salespeople --- relevant to all of us as we all have something to sell.

Mind Your Business is available Saturdays at noon on the TCNT Podcast network (www.twincitiesnewstalk.com) and you can also follow us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/mybusinesslive for show announcements and relevant additional content.

Talk with you all tomorrow at noon central time!

GrensonMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 13, 2014
Texas
I'm starting to really become a fan of the show. To be honest, in the beginning I was questioning if I would continue listening but after the pinky swear episode I was pretty hooked. At the risk of insulting you I will provide my honest opinion. My first thought in the beginning was "man this Dave guy is kind of an a**hole." But as I kept listening I realized that you have a tough love attitude and I respect that a lot. I doubt anyone would have survived the circumstances you have described in a previous thread if they didn't have some serious balls.

One of the aspects of the show that I really like is the humanity that each of the entrepreneurs appears to have. I think a lot of times, the successful guys get pegged as assholes, or scumbags (probably do to jealousy). I feel more confident after listening to the show because it reassures me that these guys were once in a spot just like I am now.

Thanks again for the show! Looking forward to this Saturday.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
551498_673102169467557_8233532477003157842_n.jpg

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
No show this weekend Vig? I don't see a link on the Facebook Page. Usually where I go to find them.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

ExecutionisKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 3, 2014
MI
Good show, perfect illustration that taking care of your customers needs/concerns first in a healthy/strong market will ensure that you will thrive, not just survive.
I liked his line about customer enthusiasm- customers are an insurance policy for the future.
It would be interesting to flip cars in cities with such small populations. With most people knowing each other in those size cities, I wonder how much of a problem that would turn into when you were reselling someone's car that other people in the town likely know.
Kind of like, "this is so Ralph's old truck isn't it? He really beat that thing. I'll give you x for it" that you would run into.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
►►SHOW ANNOUNCEMENT FOR SATURDAY, February 21, 2015◄◄

Andrew Lee and Jack Tomczak from Twin Cities News Talk's Up and At 'Em morning show with Dylan Salisbury take over Mind Your Business this upcoming weekend, with a clip from their morning show discussing the article "6 Harsh Truths That Will Make You A Better Person"

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-truths-that-will-make-you-better-person/

Quit your job. Start your life.™ Mind Your Business, Saturdays at 12PM Central on Twin Cities News Talk

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
►►SHOW ANNOUNCEMENT FOR SATURDAY, February 21, 2015◄◄

Andrew Lee and Jack Tomczak from Twin Cities News Talk's Up and At 'Em morning show with Dylan Salisbury take over Mind Your Business this upcoming weekend, with a clip from their morning show discussing the article "6 Harsh Truths That Will Make You A Better Person"
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-truths-that-will-make-you-better-person/
Very thought-provoking article. That'll definitely be an interesting show!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.