The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Video game creator

Nick perry01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Apr 6, 2020
Bates City, Missouri
So, I've been struggling with game devolpment for about 2 years now,

For some reason, I'm just restarting and restarting my project over and over again. But I think I know why: Game devolpment is a huge endeavor so I think I was focused to much on the big stuff(even though back then I didnt think it was that big). So, my plan for this time s to start really small and release it for free and then when I have enough content on there I up the price to $3. That way I wont get burned out as well as giving people a chance to discover how great it is when it's free and hopefully tell their friends when it's in the "paid" version.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EmotionEngine

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Sep 15, 2020
United States

For some reason, I'm just restarting and restarting my project over and over again. But I think I know why: Game devolpment is a huge endeavor so I think I was focused to much on the big stuff(even though back then I didnt think it was that big). So, my plan for this time s to start really small and release it for free and then when I have enough content on there I up the price to $3. That way I wont get burned out as well as giving people a chance to discover how great it is when it's free and hopefully tell their friends when it's in the "paid" version.

If you're a one man show like me the best way to do it is to develop a small title. Create or mimic a core loop that's fun and build it piece by piece. I recommend creating a Trello or Kanban board. That's what I'm doing.

D

Deleted8v369

For some reason, I'm just restarting and restarting my project over and over again. But I think I know why: Game devolpment is a huge endeavor so I think I was focused to much on the big stuff(even though back then I didnt think it was that big). So, my plan for this time s to start really small and release it for free and then when I have enough content on there I up the price to $3. That way I wont get burned out as well as giving people a chance to discover how great
It's a really difficult industry. I made some money in Flash games and shareware games when they were the thing, but to get a best seller and make serious money is like a moon shot. Most games make little or nothing at all. I knew a guy who had a hit with a screensaver for iPhones, but was never able to replicate his success.

If you have money to do it commercially, I talked to a guy who has a small studio and produces prototypes for around $15k and evaluates them by releasing them for free on streaming sites. The ones with top ratings (8+ out of 10) go into further development.

For most, game development is not a viable side hustle or small business.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I actually dabble in Unity 3D for fun. It's mostly a hobby for me.

People make money in the video game industry, but it seems to rely heavily on marketing, not so much your technical skills or how big, complicated, cutting-edge, etc. the game is.

You know what though? The big money isn't in making games, it's in being one of the companies selling the software.

EmotionEngine

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Sep 15, 2020
United States

MDA: A Formal Approach to Game Design and Game Research​

Recommended read.

Attachments

• MDA_A_Formal_Approach_to_Game_Design_and_Game_Rese.pdf
    311.2 KB · Views: 12

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain

You probably know the challenges by this point. Game development is usually a long-term project if you include all the updates and stuff. It's also a business I want to start in the future.

I'd say the fastest way to learn is find someone who's already making money that way and ask for help. Developers spend too much time, well, creating.
Maybe you find that person in this forum?

This video shows what a simple game-dev plan looks like:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK7RPn5bPus

Nick perry01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Apr 6, 2020
Bates City, Missouri
You probably know the challenges by this point. Game development is usually a long-term project if you include all the updates and stuff. It's also a business I want to start in the future.

I'd say the fastest way to learn is find someone who's already making money that way and ask for help. Developers spend too much time, well, creating.
Maybe you find that person in this forum?

This video shows what a simple game-dev plan looks like:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK7RPn5bPus
I love Thomas Brush

EmotionEngine

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Sep 15, 2020
United States

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan

I suggest you learn at least the basics of marketing. Do you have any plans on how to market the game other than word of mouth?

Metz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Apr 12, 2019
NW Washington
I actually dabble in Unity 3D for fun. It's mostly a hobby for me.

People make money in the video game industry, but it seems to rely heavily on marketing, not so much your technical skills or how big, complicated, cutting-edge, etc. the game is.

You know what though? The big money isn't in making games, it's in being one of the companies selling the software.
^ This

Also, read up on Stardew Valley. iirc it was made by one guy on his nights after working as a server/waiter for a couple of years and once it was presentable, he pitched the idea to Chucklefish (an indie publisher) and once it launched, became a millionaire within a week and some change.

But yeah, it also depends on your interests and skill-sets. Everyone and their grandmother seems to contribute to the shovelware on Steam so not only do you have to have a great product that stands out but a marketing campaign to break through all the noise and made-in-a-day games that plague the Steam catalog. Though like what @thechosen1 says, if you know about the technical side of things, you can skip all that nonsense and just be the person who makes the tools for the game devs and work on games as a side hustle so if it performs well or not, no skin off your teeth.

I work a bit in the gaming industry too so if ever you need to brainstorm/vent/whatever, hmu! :D

G

Guest-5ty5s4

^ This

Also, read up on Stardew Valley. iirc it was made by one guy on his nights after working as a server/waiter for a couple of years and once it was presentable, he pitched the idea to Chucklefish (an indie publisher) and once it launched, became a millionaire within a week and some change.

But yeah, it also depends on your interests and skill-sets. Everyone and their grandmother seems to contribute to the shovelware on Steam so not only do you have to have a great product that stands out but a marketing campaign to break through all the noise and made-in-a-day games that plague the Steam catalog. Though like what @thechosen1 says, if you know about the technical side of things, you can skip all that nonsense and just be the person who makes the tools for the game devs and work on games as a side hustle so if it performs well or not, no skin off your teeth.

I work a bit in the gaming industry too so if ever you need to brainstorm/vent/whatever, hmu! :D
This is great info @Metz !

Wanted to add, I've been a member of several game dev discords for years and there was a guy I chatted with who had a multiplayer mobile game with a few hundred thousand downloads.

His biggest advice? Don't do it all yourself. Don't waste time re-inventing the wheel. Don't write your own water shader when there are thousands of them for free online. Don't model your own low poly trees when there are thousands of assets on the asset store.

His advice was to basically focus only on doing the exact steps that it takes to FINISH, not to get carried away on all the little tangents.

Nick perry01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Apr 6, 2020
Bates City, Missouri
I suggest you learn at least the basics of marketing. Do you have any plans on how to market the game other than word of mouth?
I mean, I might do some ads(facebook, insta, snapchat, rreddit, mabye google and youtube) but since my captail is very limited, The main thing would be word of mouth

Nick perry01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Apr 6, 2020
Bates City, Missouri
This is great info @Metz !

Wanted to add, I've been a member of several game dev discords for years and there was a guy I chatted with who had a multiplayer mobile game with a few hundred thousand downloads.

His biggest advice? Don't do it all yourself. Don't waste time re-inventing the wheel. Don't write your own water shader when there are thousands of them for free online. Don't model your own low poly trees when there are thousands of assets on the asset store.

His advice was to basically focus only on doing the exact steps that it takes to FINISH, not to get carried away on all the little tangents.
Thankyou for the advice,

I'll defintly keep this in mind for the future

Madara

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
May 18, 2019
Love a good video game. I'll definitely keep an eye on your progress my friend

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.